Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We spend enough with our shipper to get pretty good account deals, but if you aren't doing a large enough volume to get a shipper to bid on your business, you will not be able to get good shipping rates outside of USPS. I will not use USPS for guns. Our account rep calls the big boys (ie. Springfield, S&W, Glock, ect) shipping rates "golf course" rates.

I was actually on the phone with UPS when I read this and was wishing he could see it. The new pricing is between 65.00 and 80.00 and it has to go overnight...PERIOD. According to UPS associate, there is no way anyone is sending handguns out UPS ground. What say ye?

That is what he knows to be true. I know for certain that is not the case for bigger accounts that use UPS. We have 2 major distributors who send us pistols 2 Day on ALL shipments, and one manufacturer that sometimes uses ground. Heck, we pay a lot less than that and we only pay 4-5K per month in shipping with the other shipper. UPS was not as competitive on the price for us, as they are more a ground network (that's what the regional rep told us.)

UPS instituted this rule in 1999 because they could not control their employee thefts of firearms principally out of their Alexandria, VA facilities which at the time serviced InterArms.

As a dealer we usually ship handguns registered US Mail and have yet to have had a problem doing so. Even when it comes to machine guns we ship registered priority mail which is also the method most often used in diamond shipments.

We've had too many lost/damaged/massively delayed shipments with small packages shipped via USPS for us to trust them with guns. We do a lot of small package shipments via USPS. It might be our area, but it is very frustrating and the support is horrible when things go missing. We had a package deliver 10 months after shipment last year.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

We spend enough with our shipper to get pretty good account deals, but if you aren't doing a large enough volume to get a shipper to bid on your business, you will not be able to get good shipping rates outside of USPS. I will not use USPS for guns. Our account rep calls the big boys (ie. Springfield, S&W, Glock, ect) shipping rates "golf course" rates.

I was actually on the phone with UPS when I read this and was wishing he could see it. The new pricing is between 65.00 and 80.00 and it has to go overnight...PERIOD. According to UPS associate, there is no way anyone is sending handguns out UPS ground. What say ye?

That is what he knows to be true. I know for certain that is not the case for bigger accounts that use UPS. We have 2 major distributors who send us pistols 2 Day on ALL shipments, and one manufacturer that sometimes uses ground. Heck, we pay a lot less than that and we only pay 4-5K per month in shipping with the other shipper. UPS was not as competitive on the price for us, as they are more a ground network (that's what the regional rep told us.)

Thanks for your input, I guess 65.00 to 80.00 it is. Still confused as to how the gun shop costs me less.

Thanks for your input, I guess 65.00 to 80.00 it is. Still confused as to how the gun shop costs me less.

They are probably shipping USPS. You could ask them.

UPS instituted this rule in 1999 because they could not control their employee thefts of firearms principally out of their Alexandria, VA facilities which at the time serviced InterArms.

As a dealer we usually ship handguns registered US Mail and have yet to have had a problem doing so. Even when it comes to machine guns we ship registered priority mail which is also the method most often used in diamond shipments.

We've had too many lost/damaged/massively delayed shipments with small packages shipped via USPS for us to trust them with guns. We do a lot of small package shipments via USPS. It might be our area, but it is very frustrating and the support is horrible when things go missing. We had a package deliver 10 months after shipment last year.

In over 18 years we have yet to have a firearm damaged by USPS. Those shipments include anything from $400 pistols to $45,000 belt feds. With registered priority mail each time the package changes hands it has to be signed for, little chance of it being lost with that method.

In over 18 years we have yet to have a firearm damaged by USPS. Those shipments include anything from $400 pistols to $45,000 belt feds. With registered priority mail each time the package changes hands it has to be signed for, little chance of it being lost with that method.

That is good to know. Every package we've had issues with is standard priority mail. Most of our pistols shipments are not to FFL holders or use the FFL shipper's account.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

USPS is cheapest using a flat rate box even better the regional rate flat rate box. I ship USPS all the time and its the best way to send pistols out. On your expensive quote, are you going to UPS ie the hub or the UPS store. UPS store is NOT ups and the rates are higher and they are not suppose to take guns. Those who claim machined parts need to realize those shipments are basically self insured regardless of insurance as they WILL deny the claim if you have one so you just wasted your money on insurance. When shipping ups, this form needs to be filled out and brought in with the shipment

USPS-ps1508_editable_ORIGINAL.pdf

USPS is cheapest using a flat rate box even better the regional rate flat rate box. I ship USPS all the time and its the best way to send pistols out. On your expensive quote, are you going to UPS ie the hub or the UPS store. UPS store is NOT ups and the rates are higher and they are not suppose to take guns. Those who claim machined parts need to realize those shipments are basically self insured regardless of insurance as they WILL deny the claim if you have one so you just wasted your money on insurance. When shipping ups, this form needs to be filled out and brought in with the shipment

Next one I ship, I'm going to try USPS and use this form. The guy at the counter told me in no uncertain terms that you cannot send a handgun USPS, even though I explained I had looked it up on line. The info I supplied for UPS was from the hub manager here local.

Thanks for the information.

Edited by chaosshooter00

Some FFL's have an account and get discounts with UPS/FEDex, and some ship ground or two-day, which doesnt appear to be allowed per UPS regs, but maybe they have a special handshake.

Problem is: since FedEx and UPS company rules expressly forbid shipping a handgun any way other than the very expensive options (they told me I would have to overnight it), you risk losing everything if one of them "handshakes" a deal for you to ship it ground. If the gun is lost or stolen, you can not collect on the value of it.
I have shipped handguns through three different gun shops locally for the last twenty years and the most expensive was 50.00. I can't get a quote for less than 100.00 from the big two shippers. I wouldn't think that every local gun shop would ship guns illegally but, you never know. I have been to gun shops where they charge you paperwork fees and shipping fees, but not locally.
The gun shops are using USPS. I use them too because even though they charge a handling fee, it's still cheaper than either UPS or FedEx who require overnight service be used.
You actually use the Post Office? I haven't had any luck with my local. Do you take it to them or have it picked up, they had a nut when I started asking about how to ship a handgun. The gun shop definitely use UPS. Odd...
I used my local gun shop which has licensed FFL which means they could use the USPS and it's a lot cheaper than UPS or Fed Ex.

FFL at the gun shop is using USPS.

USPS reliability is highly area dependent. Out here in Northern kali, priority mail delivery is very unreliable. In fact, USPS in general here is unreliable. Yours is obviously better.

Presently I have got a TTI G35 lost somewhere in the USPS jungle. It was shipped by a member here to my FFL in Houston. He runs his FFL on the side out of his day job office. Seems the USPS guy did not want to get out of his truck at the address to even attempt delivery. According to the on line tracking, they marked it "incorrect address" and sent it back to the sender.

I was surprised there is no way to reroute or redeliver a package through USPS like you can with UPS and FedEx. Tried their customer service line and sat on hold twice for 30 mins and no one ever picked up either time. Likewise their customer service E mail line. Two days later with no reply as well.

The gun cannot be tracked on the return trip. Right now I would give it no more than 50/50 that the gun ever resurfaces.

I will never ship anything of value by USPS again.

Edited by Kyreb

I have used USPS flat rate to ship over a ton of brass in the last five years to every state in the US, including AK & HI and have never had a package lost,

My local gun shop charges me $25 to ship a pistol and uses USPS.