Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressors in 3 Gun

Jesse Tischauser

I guess that would mean you would give up your compensator, and it may be less effective on recoil with a suppressor than a compensator.

Also accuracy would come into play on the cheaper ones and it would be a longer gun. You would loose velocity if you went shorter to compensate for the length.

I use an AAC m42k on my 10.5" short gun with a brake mount. It's fun but hanging an extra pound off the end of the rifle doesn't add any competitive advantage. The aac brake is ok on its own but not as effective as a rolling thunder or sjc. My subjective opinion is that the brake becomes less effective when you install the suppressor.

bottom line, using a suppressor makes the Rifle quieter but doesn't (in my opinion) do anything to make the rifle more competitive. Also - the pact timers at our club often don't pick up shots and its a pain in the behind for everyone else when you have to reshoot a stage because the Timer didn't pick anything up.

I think they would be hard to get use to after shooting with muzzle brake that don't move much. The impulse seemed weird to me after shooting another shooters can after a match. It reminded me of 22 rifle NRA positional shooting where you are all tied up in the jacket and sling and able to see the circular whip of the barrel.

Cans are fun and make excellent brakes, but who wants to add unnecessary weight and length to the rifle? Who wants to burn up a $1000 can mounted on a high round count competition rifle?

I think there may be a suppressor company or two that wants to get into to game. I was looking for a way. How cool would an all suppressed 2 or 3 gun match be?

Cans are fun and make excellent brakes, but who wants to add unnecessary weight and length to the rifle? Who wants to burn up a $1000 can mounted on a high round count competition rifle?

I think there may be a suppressor company or two that wants to get into to game. I was looking for a way. How cool would an all suppressed 2 or 3 gun match be?

It would be fun but I see three issues based on playing with mine on the clock.

First is timer sensitivity. It gives us fits trying to get an accurate time recorded and we've tried with three different brands.

Second is the rifle/carbine is terribly nose heavy and seriously effects transitioning. I use mine on my 16" carbine and it sucks as far as feel goes compared to my regular game gun. A shorter bbl may help but that falls into my third issue, class III

I'm not sure there's a big enough demographic of competitors willing to go to the trouble of going thru the process and red tape of class III tax stamp expense and paperwork to add a can to a rifle that won't perform as well as without a can, with the hopes of more "Suppressor only" matchs.

Do you have to file any paperwork with ATF to travel with a suppressor out of your state of residence?

They do have a form for just such an occasion, I forget what its called, but it's on there website on the FAQ about suppressors. From what I remember on the site it takes about 2-3 months to get back but is good for a year if you plan to take it to the same location several times.

Do you have to file any paperwork with ATF to travel with a suppressor out of your state of residence?

I don't think so. The form many talk about is form 5320.20 which specifically lists machine guns and SBR's but not "silencers". There's nothing I've been able to find in 922 to support the need. Some might chime in to contact ATF but that may or may not get you acurate info either. This confusion over something like this just further limits the competitors willing to travel to a suppressor match.

Form 5320.20 isnt required for cans like it is for SBR's, machine guns, SBS,...but I have heard of people requesting one just in case you run across un-informed police officers. I always carry photocopies of my approved Form 4's as well, and have shown them to police officers at big shoots to explain the process and educate those who have questions, I consider it cheap insurance.

I've shot a match or two with an M4-2000 on my rifle and the RO had issues getting shots to register on the timer. When a buddy shot a few shooters after me, local match, we had to use the camera footage of him shooting to determine his stage time because the timer stopped registering when he started firing his rifle. I have several rifle, a couple pistol, and a few rimfire cans....I love them, but in order for it to work, I think you would have to use a less effective can to ensure the shot timer could pick up shots. With a less effective can you still need ear protection, so my favorite advantage of shooting with a can is lost.

I love the idea of a 2 gun match with suppressed rifle and pistol....but the only way I'd consider it viable and consistent would be to remove the shot timer from the equation somehow, especially with my pistol cans and subsonic ammo. Maybe more targets than you could possibly shoot in a time period, then score how many were "down" and access penalties for hits outside an A zone within that allowed set of time? At the same match, I think a suppressed rimfire 2-gun side match or stage would be awesome. My 4.5" .22 AR with AAC Element and S&W M&P22 with SilencerCo SS Sparrow would make a great/fun combo and they run like a top.

I've shot my can in matches and ROed shooters with cans and you have to get the timer right next to the ejection port and watch to make sure it records the last shot. It's not hard to do but could be distracting to the shooter. If you use a can you need to realize that the RO is going to be very close at the end of the stage.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I've shot my can in matches and ROed shooters with cans and you have to get the timer right next to the ejection port and watch to make sure it records the last shot. It's not hard to do but could be distracting to the shooter. If you use a can you need to realize that the RO is going to be very close at the end of the stage.

Doug

Same here. As an RO, I always feel really nervous being that close to the shooter. Not so much for safety, but it's difficult to be that close and not get in the way.

Doug

Same here. As an RO, I always feel really nervous being that close to the shooter. Not so much for safety, but it's difficult to be that close and not get in the way.

I can just imagine how many re-shoots Taran Butler would get at a silencer match. Lol

Doug

It would have to be on the shooter but maybe a new DAA ShotMaxx timer would register the shots well. It's supposed to great friends airsoft because of the accelerometer.

Doug

If a shooter chooses to use a can they have to accept the RO will be close and not complain.

Doug