Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing the sights faster

Nemesis Lead

Guys,

I ride the reset of my Glock pretty closely. Probably 2 to 3 a match, the gun goes off before I want it to and I invariably make up the shot. What is interesting is that I usually shoot an alpha with the "accidental" shot.

This tells me that I am a little slow in visually recognizing that my sights are on target.

Are there any drills that can help with this? It is probably the biggest issue that I am grappling with right now.

Many thanks in advance.

Start learning how to call your shots. I'm pretty sure there's a post or two here. Once you've got it to the point where you can call your shots on the close up targets, then it's all about getting on that front sight as quickly as possible.

Edited by 45dotACP

when i get that it means my support hand and grip on the frame were optimum when the front went back down in battery.

i see the support hand like a rest for the gun , if the left stay exactly where it was prior to the last shot , then i see what i need to see faster , the follow shot is fast and accurate.

at least in my case.

This can be affected by a number of things. Since your shot is an A , your grip and stance are getting the gun where it needs to be, but you are not processing the visual input fast enough to see the sights.

It is possible that you are shooting consciously, verifying the sight picture and then making a conscious decision to pull the trigger. The easiest way to tell if you are doing this is to shoot something like a bill drill. Shoot as fast as you feel comfortable and check your splits. If they are around .3 or greater you are probably consciously shooting.

Second issue is tracking the sights. Do you see the front sight all the way through recoil or lose it then reaquire it for every shot? If you are not seeing the sights through the entire recoil cycle, then your early shots may be on target because your index has the gun back on target but you haven't required the sight picture.

Lots of stuff can affect this , ammo, recoil spring , sights, etc. The best thing you can do is to shoot and try and follow the sights as they rise in recoil and then return to target. You don't even need a target, just watch the sights.

Maybe processing visual information faster is not your issue ... Do you know what your minimum acceptable sight picture is for varying target distances and types of targets? Do you always wait for the post and notch to be nicely lined up before you break the shot? BTW, breaking a shot before you are ready and hitting an Alpha is telling you something ... Namely that you had an acceptable sight picture but you thought you didn't and "weren't ready" yet ...

When I hear people say that they don't shoot fast enough many times it's becuase of what sight picture they are using and not seeing faster ...

Try it with plate racks too. This will force you to be quick with your transitions. Start close, work back. No taping. If you don't care about taping, then El Presidente is a good one too. Reload, regrip, track your sights at speed. Fun stuff.

Your ability to see the sights can change too. When I first changed to a lighter recoil spring I felt like it was easier to track the sights with the heavier spring I had been running. I stuck with the lighter spring for other reasons and my ability to track the sights improved to the same level with the lighter spring.

How fast do you read printed material? Do you see complete words or do you see every letter of every word? When reading a book do you read as if seeing a movie or do you speak each word in your mind? If you're doing the latter, try taking a speed reading course. Seriously, it will have two benefits, one it will help with recognizing your sight pictures faster and second it will only take you half the time to read the forum.

Ming, the isuse wtih radieng seped is taht you olny hvae to read the frist and last lteter of most wrods to undstaned the maennig behind tehm.

How does that translate that to sights?

Is it because your mind knows what's there so you don't have to let the sights settle as much?

I am just asking because I have an issue with this as well.

I will draw and then there is a noticeable pause while I'm on target before I get a shot off.

This only affects me on the draw and transitions into new arrays.

Airsoft might not be a bad idea, if you want to practice following sights through recoil.

I actually have the same issue I am trying to work out. On the draw and when I get to new shooting positions I feel there is a pause until I register that I am seeing the acceptable sight picture I am looking for, then the shot breaks.

I have bought the majority of my airsoft guns from http://www.evike.com/

It really depends how much you want to spend. The entry level guns that i have are around $100 from companies like WE and KJW. The really nice ones come from companies like Tokyo Marui or Western Arms, those go up and over $300. I'm not sure why but all the Western arms guns look to be discontinued by Evike, but I'm sure there still available elsewhere. The other cool think is you can get one of what ever quality and upgrade the parts on it like you can with real steel guns. BTW you will need a gas powered one to get the realistic recoil action and semi-auto operation.

An example: http://www.evike.com/products/25011/

Edited by EngineerEli

Speed reading with comprehension will teach your brain to process visual information faster. Yes, we understand misspelled words because we are looking at the entire word rather than the individual letters, we can also do the same thing by learning to look at entire paragraphs. It does translate to faster sight pictures. Try starting with a single unread sentence on your computer screen in large block font. Look off to the side of the monitor so that the sentence is out of sight, snap your eyes to the monitor screen and immediately snap your eyes back away from the screen. What did the sentence say? This is exactly the same process of seeing the sights while transitioning between targets.

There is lots of information available online.

• 2 months later...

Speed reading with comprehension will teach your brain to process visual information faster. Yes, we understand misspelled words because we are looking at the entire word rather than the individual letters, we can also do the same thing by learning to look at entire paragraphs. It does translate to faster sight pictures. Try starting with a single unread sentence on your computer screen in large block font. Look off to the side of the monitor so that the sentence is out of sight, snap your eyes to the monitor screen and immediately snap your eyes back away from the screen. What did the sentence say? This is exactly the same process of seeing the sights while transitioning between targets.

There is lots of information available online.

some good advice here