Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to use this long range prop

I've encountered this prop often at a local match and never feel comfortable with it. Basically I don't know whether or not it's better to sit/kneel and shoot off the top or go prone and shoot through it. From the top I'm resting on the handguard and from prone it might be resting on handguard or monopoding on a coupled mag. Larues at 300-350yd.

My instinct is to go prone but I've seen some of the very good shooters shoot off the top.

Screenshot_2014-01-08-10-39-06_zps7flt3l

Screenshot_2014-01-08-10-41-56_zpsvauluj

Another option if the box is sturdy enough, go prone on top of the box. By that I mean you keep your feet on the ground, place your waist against the box, lean forward onto your elbows and rifle magazine just as if you were prone on the ground. Faster to get into than actual prone or kneeling, and easier to get up from as well. At least for older shooters. This would be highly dependent upon how high the top of the box was. If it is picnic table height it has worked well.

Edited by Brian Payne

Another option if the box is sturdy enough, go prone on top of the box. By that I mean you keep your feet on the ground, place your waist against the box, lean forward onto your elbows and rifle magazine just as if you were prone on the ground. Faster to get into than actual prone or kneeling, and easier to get up from as well. At least for older shooters. This would be highly dependent upon how high the top of the box was. If it is picnic table height it has worked well.

I did it exactly like that last year, and went 3 for 3 with iron sights, won the stage.

and last year it was optional as to how you used that prop, more matches are using the "shooters option" for things like that in stage descriptions...

jj

If its an option, I almost always go prone on shots past 200yds. The only exception is if I need an unusually wide arc of fire, or if I'm going to moving back out of that position quickly. If you want to shoot off the top platform (and that prop is sturdy enough to do so), try leaning over it and monopodding off the magazine - you have enough room up there to get the mag base and both elbows down. This is far more stable and faster to transition than resting the handguard as shown in the second photo.

For the stage this weekend, where you end up on the prop, I'm going prone.

If you can wait to the end of the match, I'll come and RO you so you can try shooting from multiple positions off the clock, to see which works best for you.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

On this particular stage none of the body can touch the ground as I recall. Saturday I'm encouraging everyone to shoot it standing unsupported to demonstrate their manliness. I may choose the shame of another option, but nobody else should suffer that sort of embarrassment in front of their peers .

Having dealt with this specfic prop as much as anyone else, I typically go prone through it. While shooting off the top is slightly faster to get in and out of, shooting prone is usually faster when the trigger pulling actually starts.

I've encountered this prop often at a local match and never feel comfortable with it.

Umm,.looks like you figured it out.. :surprise:

Nice match & stage win! :bow::cheers:

damn kids :sight:

Haha thanks. I guess a little mentoring from the seasoned guys helps.

After discussing the prop I feel a lot more comfortable in which choice to make. I'll probably go prone the vast majority unless there's only a couple fairly easy targets in a single array.

Edited by Forgetful