Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WNPL Cold As Hell Match

ErikW

James said it has both a price and a manufacturing period rivalling those of any custom gunsmith.

He's proud of the fact they are all pairs of As, except for one target that's A-D. I didn't mention the targets are more white than brown.

The ball point pens didn't work on the scoresheets. I got four or five pieces of brass back (from six stages) and I picked them up myself, on the first stage.

It was probably about 11 F in the morning when we set up (for those on the C system, that's far below 0). Probably warmed up to the high teens. Sun came out during tear-down.

Only real problems besides the pens were: frozen fingers while shooting, ear muffs over knit hat, custom ear plugs were hard and painful, tape didn't want to stick, tape was hard to manipulate with gloves, glasses tended to fog up...

You guys are much more dedicated than me, there was a "chance" of rain in Richmond this weekend and I didn't go, I can't imagine shooting in the snow.

Too bad. The weather was absolutely beautiful! You also missed 300lbGorilla's first visit to our range.

You guys are much more dedicated than me, there was a "chance" of rain in Richmond this weekend and I didn't go, I can't imagine shooting in the snow.

Too bad. The weather was absolutely beautiful! You also missed 300lbGorilla's first visit to our range.

What he said! Great match, great people! It wasn't really cold, either.

Then there was the breakfast. Holy cr@p!!!

BTW, Alvin, after grubbin' and gassin' I hit the road at 4:25p-ish from that Subway... I was home at 10p on the nose. :D Try THAT with your Jeep. :P

Brass is easy to see in the snow, but hard to pick up.

Hot brass melts the snow, then it refreezes immediately, especially at 11 degrees F. Plus your fingers get really cold and it's hard to shoot afterward.

Brass recovery with snow=bad juju.

It was 50 degrees and sunny here (Indiana) yesterday and we were saying how beautiful it is. :D

Erik ... when it gets cold, Sharpies work the best for scoresheet tallies.

We shot all through the winter two years ago at our former club (Deer Creek). The two worst days were the -11F (and windy) and the time everything melted to slush on Saturday, but froze overnight to leave us with a range completely covered with about 3-4 inches of wavey ice. It was foolhardy to shoot the latter match, but no one fell down until after the match was over (and yes, I was the one who fell down. Standing on the only level patch of ice on the grounds. Minding my own business).

Hopefully this winter we can create some more "Tales of the Rugged & Stupid" at AtlantaCC.

What he said! Great match, great people! It wasn't really cold, either.

Then there was the breakfast. Holy cr@p!!!

BTW, Alvin, after grubbin' and gassin' I hit the road at 4:25p-ish from that Subway... I was home at 10p on the nose. :D Try THAT with your Jeep. :P

Alvin, yeah, the weather was nice but I slept in and would have been too late. Besides I never can tell what I'm going to get in Richmond since I live in the sun here in Antioch. I've left here on a beautiful warm sunny morning only to show up to a cold, windy, overcast Richmond range and its only 30 miles from here. You gotta love the Bay Area.

Cullen, sorry I missed you, I was going to ask about a frame but I'll bet they went in minutes! Maybe next time.