Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In need of Hernia surgery.

donnyglock

I started working out again a year ago. Started to get some size back and BAM... Inguinal hernia !

Crap!!! Surgery on the 16th. I have been reading up on the mesh. Anyone have any pointers or things I should be looking into. This hernia has been painfull so far so getting it fixed is a must.

Don't do the mesh!

My surgeon had a PhD in microbiology AND a PhD in molecular biology. He said "I can do it laparoscopic with the mesh, but you'll be back in a year getting it done the old fashioned way". He was a young guy too, not some old codger too set in his ways to consider newer methods. It's been about 15 years and no problems.

I am healing up right now myself..... :sick:

#1 LIsten to Doctor and follow limitations he imposes. I am....it is driving me frickin nuts but it has to be done.

#2 Take the meds they prescribe initially for pain control. This is important. When you don' t need it anymore then get off of them.

#3 Use laxatives and whatever is recommended for the 1st week. Nuff said......

Do your research on the mesh and alternatives.....My dad did the mesh a couple of years ago and is doing fine. He is, however, 73, and not real active....

Good luck and and get it done now when you can't really get out and shoot!

DougC

Just so I know. Whats the old fashoned way?

They refer to it as "open surgery" where one single but large incision is made. That's opposed to several very small incisions done with a laparoscopic procedure.

My surgeon told me I would be just as strong as or more so than I was by going with the "old" way. He also said if I had a "failure with the mesh" and he had to go back in it would have to be done the old way AND that after that 2nd repair the repair it would be better, but still not as strong and never would be. That sold me. He did say that the mesh was OK for repairing very small tears, but mine was way past that point and I was younger and pretty active. Also I'll second doing exactly what your doctor says for the 6 - 8 weeks afterwards. Do that and you'll likely never have an issue again.

As a side note, both my GP and surgeon were just astounded that I had no pain whatsoever with mine. I only went to get looked at because when I coughed I could feel the bulge in my groin with my hand. Have no idea how long I had had it, but it was getting bigger and I thought it was a tumor. They were totally flummoxed with me having no pain.

I had surgery a year and a half ago for a double hernia. No problems, as long as you don't count throwing up from the anesthesia. :-)

My doc used the mesh, and I've had no complaints. Be sure to follow the weight restrictions afterwards. Best of luck with your surgery.

Had mine done on a Sunday (no mesh just one big cut), drove to California on Wednesday, shot the IRC on Friday and Saturday. I couldn't pick up brass or reset steel but I could tape the close targets! I didn't take the pain pills either. It didn't hurt.

Have had 3. Both sides of groin as well as umbilical. All 3 have mesh. First was right side at 16. Second left at 30. Third was belly button at 35. I'm 47 now and never had a problem.

Do exactly as doc says. Coughing or sneezing will suck for a bit. A pillow is yer friend if you cough. I was told to walk with all 3 as I could.

Oh, and laxatives may truly be needed. Drink lots of water.

Hope this helps.

I had my umbilical hernia fixed the 16th of December. A half moon incesion on the inside of the belly button, muscle wall repair and the mesh. 45 minute procedure. The first two days were a little rough, of course my pot belly didn't help any. A pillow is definitely your friend for coughs and sneezes. A good stool softner or laxative because the Lortabs will stop you up, and I only took 4. Ibuprofen after that. And trust me, you won't be pushing. Blowing your nose is out as well for the first week or so. It's amazing how much of our worlds revolve around our belly buttons. You get to the first week post op and it's a breeze from there. My doc told me to be extremely careful. Just because you feel good, don't push it. You don't want to have to do it again. He says once we get a few more weeks in, longer is surely better, I can resume my normal activity without worry. I think for a 50 year old, I'm doing pretty dang good. Got a match this weekend!!!

Edited by StanN

Had mine done in 1985 the old fashioned way. Never another issue. Advise about the Laxatives is absolutely solid. Lol. Don't forget them. The discomfort of surgery is nothing compared to the first trip to the bathroom after.