Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Magwell for Gen 4 Glock

Bart Solo

Now that I have my Glock 35, I am looking around for a Glock Gen4 magwell. Browsing the internet, it is pretty clear there are a lot of good magwells for older Glock generations, but any number of people have complained about the lack of good magwells for Gen 4 models. Those complaints might have been early on and have been made obsolete by subsequent products. Just what magwells are best for a Glock 35, Gen 4 as of the first of January 2014?

Edited by Bart Solo

I have a gen 4 17 with a zev brass magwell with large brass insert. I use half of a large back strap. I love the way it feels. The grip is wrapped with grip tape. I cut the large backstrap in the middle or where the meat of my hand touches. The top pin and clip hold it on and the fact that it's sitting on top of grip tape it doesn't go anywhere. It changes up the angle of the gun a little more. I love it.

Zev is the way to go because of the amount of options they have as far as materials and weights.

The Dawson ice magwell can be used with a backstrap, just have to pick the one for the backstrap your using.

That is the one I was thinking about. I tried shooting the pistol without the backstrap and found my grip is better with the backstrap. Frankly, if forced to choose between the two, I would rather have a good grip on the pistol than a magwell.

Edited by Bart Solo

Some where on here someone modified the backstrap to fit a magwell that wasn't meant to be used with one. I'll see if I can find it.

Post #11,12

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184196

doesnt really give much info on how it was done but seems to be possible.

Edited by usmc1094

I put the Dawson Ice Medium on my G4 and it works equally well with no backstrap. The gap is 1mm per backstrap. I do not think you would hurt yourself if you put the large on to use for all three options. I prefer the medium and can remove it for the Mrs and the magwell functions as designed.

I use a backstrap. ZEV says no to backstraps.

I use a Zev aluminum with a heavy brass weight. I also use the medium backstrap. What I had to do was cut down the bottom of the strap. If I had to do over again, I'd just use a grinding wheel. But my backstrap now fit right down to the line of the magwell and fits perfectly!

I was really worried that their note about not allowing backstraps would make it I couldn't use it. Nope! It works perfect with a little bit of plastic 'smithing. I'm sure others have done a better job of modifying theirs, but this part isn't technically part of the gun so I was a little less careful.

IMG_0031_zps5bd29069.jpg

Edited by CHLChris

I snapped a couple of shots of the Dawson G4 medium backstrap installed.

If you run the small grip you will see a small, not really noticable gap below the screw pictured. A large size with the medium grip would give you the same gap.

1e2a1c83-f47e-4d1c-bba6-04d263b49123_zps

Edited by dogtired

Do these crinkle finish ZEV magwells not mess up your magazines? Seems to me that you ought to want something that is as smooth as possible in order to be fast. The crinkle finish seems like it would chew up the plastic that surrounds Glock magazines. From a technical standpoint how is that better than Zev's polished stainless, Dawson's aluminum with plastic insert, or SJC's polished brass with the black coating?

• 1 month later...

I have the Zev aluminum on both my Gen-4 34's. They can work with the backstraps. If you remove a little material off of the bottom of the backstrap the magwell fits just fine. I am using the medium beavertail backstrap with the magwell on both guns.

I don't have any pics. If you are at Albany next weekend you can see it in person. I basically sanded of the lower "clip" on the backstrap which created enough clearance for the magwell. With the magwell secured in place it keeps the backstrap tight. Bring your backstrap and I can show you what to remove. Very easy fix.