Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seekins hand guard

BradfromND

I am a club-level shooter. I have 2, & think they are nice. It feels good in hand. It works well from a flat surface. It is heavier than a CF tube. I'm not sure if they are worth the money & weight.

Biggest advantage for me so far has been shooting with the SP3R from the bench, really stable because it's basically a benchrest profile.

I was really set on one till I found my jp medium contour barrel wouldn't fit in there with the adjustable gas block.. looks like a great idea though

So get a new gas block?

I had to shave a bit off my Syrac block to get it to clear the 15" hand guard but I wouldn't go back to anything else at this point. The flat bottom and sides are awesome.

I was really set on one till I found my jp medium contour barrel wouldn't fit in there with the adjustable gas block.. looks like a great idea though

So get a new gas block?I had to shave a bit off my Syrac block to get it to clear the 15" hand guard but I wouldn't go back to anything else at this point. The flat bottom and sides are awesome.

Nah I switched the handguards. I went to the seekins MCSR ..its lighter and feels great in my hand. I love the SP3R too but ill use it on a different build. The medium contour barrel/ JP adjustable gas block plus cooling fins need room to breathe.

I thought "My God that's a lot of money!" :surprise:

And I thought of the many, many rifles, pistols and shotguns I own that cost less than that tube. :sick:

But I bought it anyway and I love it. When I got it I joked that it made me fall in love with my rifle all over again. :closedeyes:

My only "complaint" isn't really to be blamed on the tube. It's longer and I like that. But I'm using all it's length now. Combined that with my 16" barrel and SJC comp, it turns my hand black. :D

3_photo.JPG

Edited by cas

I absolutely love mine. It is almost an unfair advantage on barricades!

Oddly enough, it seems folks are about 50/50 when I let them handle my rifle. Some people really prefer the feel of a round handguard. I don't notice the difference in feel, but I certainly notice the difference on barricades.

I just got a octagonal handguard from Lancer and it may be better suited for folks who strongly prefer the feel of a round one. It is sort of in-between. It offers some advantage on barricades, but not to the extent of the Seekins.

I'm kinda partial to them...

E527BD1E-863A-4144-95B0-92AD7F3F9C11-216

Rifle on the far right is 308 - only reason it doesn't have one too. I really like the feel. The first one I got was the original design. It had problems fitting some lower recievers - it made contact with the ears for the front push pin. The new model has a recess cut there so it is no longer an issue.

Oddly enough, it seems folks are about 50/50 when I let them handle my rifle. Some people really prefer the feel of a round handguard. I don't notice the difference in feel, but I certainly notice the difference on barricades.

I just got a octagonal handguard from Lancer and it may be better suited for folks who strongly prefer the feel of a round one. It is sort of in-between. It offers some advantage on barricades, but not to the extent of the Seekins.

If the barricade or what ever you are shooting off is not squared up with what you are shooting at, your reticle will be tilted in relation to the target. I have found that what ever you are resting the forearm on, it is usually not level.

They are very nice but I will stick with a round one.

If the barricade or what ever you are shooting off is not squared up with what you are shooting at, your reticle will be tilted in relation to the target. I have found that what ever you are resting the forearm on, it is usually not level.

They are very nice but I will stick with a round one.

Like I said, not for everyone. I find more square barricades and barrels than not. At the distances and targets we usualy shoot, a slightly off axis reticle really doesn't hurt too much. It's great on VTAC style barricades, for sure. It will be interesting to see what the common 3GN barricade is going to be for the upcoming season. If it's anything like a VTAC, the Seekins will be very helpful. But, please, don't buy one! I need all the advantages I can get ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going a different route. I ordered up a Lancer carbon fibre handguard for the flats but it will still feel closer to "normal" because of the octagon shape.

Here is the list of parts. It should be a shooter.

Seekins billet upper/lower

Lancer carbon fibre handguard

JP medium weight barrel with comp and adjustable gas block

JP low mass bcg

JP low mass buffer

Magpul MOE stock

I'm still trying to decide on a trigger but I'm really meaning toward trying a Hiperfire 24c.

I put a Jard in my recent build, and I don't how it gets any better for $140. It breaks like glass at #2 like my 1911. I was going to try at $2-300 trigger, but now that I'm shooting this one, I don't even think I'm gonna try the others.

To the guys that are running these hand guards. What uppers are you running? Did it fit well with a standard upper? I see that Seekins makes the IRMT 3 upper that matches with this guard. What advantages does this IRMT 3 upper have? Is it worth the extra money? I would love to hear what uppers you guys are using and maybe some pictures. Thanks for any info.

To the guys that are running these hand guards. What uppers are you running? Did it fit well with a standard upper? I see that Seekins makes the IRMT 3 upper that matches with this guard. What advantages does this IRMT 3 upper have? Is it worth the extra money? I would love to hear what uppers you guys are using and maybe some pictures. Thanks for any info.

From what I have seen in pictures that upper uses a similar barrel attachment method as the uppers that I make which strengthens the front end of the receiver over a standard upper since the threads are internal.

Nick

This upper is "one piece" with the nose being part of the upper that accepts the forend. Most any standard upper would use a

"nose nut" that screws on to the threads and then the titanium barrel nut screw into that.

p800313892-4.jpg

Edited by P.E. Kelley

From what I have seen in pictures that upper uses a similar barrel attachment method as the uppers that I make which strengthens the front end of the receiver over a standard upper since the threads are internal.

Nick

I'm using a Nordic upper with the triangular barrel nut. It's torqued appropriately and it is rock solid. I can only imagine what the seekins upper feels like with the integral setup.

I run the Irmt-r upper and it has a perfect fit.Its got such a tight feel to it with the MCSR rail .one thing I just realized is that every time you pull the trigger ( gun unloaded ) the rail will make a sound from the trigger falling unto the firing pin. If I put my hand on the rail when doing this the sound is muffled. Nothing wrong with it , just reacts as if it were as one piece of aluminum . I also do love the tabs that clock the rail perfectly.