Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams/Voodoo barrels

mwf008

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like to measure them to be honest. Then I start chasing my tail looking for the best load and start worrying about if my barrel or ammo is good enough, etc.

I'll go to the 600 yard range with my buddy next week and I can usually drill the 400 yard 6" plates 9 out of 10 times. As long as I can still do that I'm happy.

The gun balance a lot better while standing for sure though. My 20" bull barrel was nose heavy because it was only turned down behind the gas block. This will be much better for the matches I'll shoot this year which are all inside 200 yards.

I can feel them if I scratch with my fingernail, but they aren't deep. Never seen that before with my other barrel or other rifle. I'll have to see if I can see inside the chamber to see whats causing it. Seems like a rough finish in there probably.

I haven't put my upper together so i took a minute to check out the chamber with my light. It does show some machining circles , not a ton, doesn't look rough, but my guess is it could be polished up quite nicely. I'm going to shoot a message to the guys at voodoo and see what they say , prob ask my local smith to do it for me . We gotta remember too that these aren't chrome lined and the black nitride is a much thinner finish .

I got an email back from VooDoo( well adams ) right away about their barrel.

this is what they wrote

Thank you for contacting Adams Arms. you can polish the chambers on our barrels. You can use any quality polishing compound and 22 caliber bore mop, like this one

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/bore-mops/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-chamber-mop-prod18227.aspx

put the bore mop in a drill, and work on it in phases so that you get the desired results.

Adams Arms support team

So i may end up doing that over the weekend , seems like a decent idea . As much as we all may love these barrels , they aren't match barrels that have been hand polished and lapped and all that good stuff . Let me know how it goes fellas

I find it interesting that my set-up of this barrel and regular carbine buffer and spring produces less recoil than my heavier 18" rifle gas optics AR with similar buffer components. My brass does land in a nice pile in the 4-5 o'clock position for the voodoo barrel versus 1 o'clock for my optics gun.

Is the chamber melonite/QPQ treated? If you polish enough to remove tooling, you'll probably remove the hard coating too. I don't think it matters too much before the throat in terms of longevity, but you might lose the lubricity/hardness in the chamber.

Did they give you the option to swap barrels?

They didn't mention anything about swapping it out. I can't say about mine though, i haven't shot it yet . Waiting on a couple parts including a nice Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS hand guard and Tim is sending me the new Taccom comp, very very excited .

I'll report in once i install and start testing

I'm tempted by the VooDoo Barrel because I've suddenly become a weight weenie. If long range accuracy isn't going to be an issue, then dropping a pound from my current setup with a barrel swap seems so alluring.

My concern is if there is any POI shift after the skinny barrel heats up.

Generally, the long range stuff at the local matches here is engaged after 5-12 closer paper targets. I'm interested to see if you guys notice a POI shift after about 20 or so hoser shots

My current barrel is heavier than medium weight, ~.8" to the .75" gas block, then .72" to the muzzle. It's somewhere around 2.4lbs. I really like the .223 Wylde chamber of my current barrel though. It shoots great at all distances, but I'm wondering if I'm carrying around dead weight on the forward end of the gun. Reprofiling isn't really an option as it's QBQ treated and I don't think I can turn it without introducing a ton of stress into the barrel.