Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 Zev Extended Magazine Release vs. Glock's?

saibot

Biggest difference is Zev is aluminum not plastic I believe. At least it is for Gen 1-3

Gen 4 Zev release is metal too.

The zev release has a raked face. Is the glock release flat? That might be a difference.

Edited by darkvibe

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a Zev magazine release and thought I'd post back about it, and what's different about it.

The good:

Very well made.

Ejects magazines much better than the OEM and extended OEM magazine release.

Very positive knurling keeps you from slipping off of it when you're in a hurry.

The bad:

Expect your magazine to eject unintentionally when picking up off of a table.

Too big in the wrong places.

I put it in for a while and love how well I can drop a magazine, but the thing sticks out too far on the wrong area and makes it eject magazines when laying it on the side or picking it up off of a table. Zev, if you're listening, this thing would be PERFECT if you angled the knurled surface the other way. Make the area torwards the frontstrap lower, like the OEM part. Keep it high in the area closer toward the backstrap. My thumb only makes contact with the very rear of it anyway, so the rest is just there to create issues.

You can see in the picture I took the difference in the OEM, extended OEM, and the Zev.

glock-mag-release.jpg

So I bought a Zev magazine release and thought I'd post back about it, and what's different about it.

The good:

Very well made.

Ejects magazines much better than the OEM and extended OEM magazine release.

Very positive knurling keeps you from slipping off of it when you're in a hurry.

The bad:

Expect your magazine to eject unintentionally when picking up off of a table.

Too big in the wrong places.

I put it in for a while and love how well I can drop a magazine, but the thing sticks out too far on the wrong area and makes it eject magazines when laying it on the side or picking it up off of a table. Zev, if you're listening, this thing would be PERFECT if you angled the knurled surface the other way. Make the area torwards the frontstrap lower, like the OEM part. Keep it high in the area closer toward the backstrap. My thumb only makes contact with the very rear of it anyway, so the rest is just there to create issues.

You can see in the picture I took the difference in the OEM, extended OEM, and the Zev.

glock-mag-release.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic. Good to see the differences.

I do like the slight difference I feel with the Glock OEM extended (middle one in the pic), but I was thinking about going a little larger, since I mostly use it for 3 gun, and not Production, but glad to know the pros/cons. THink I'll stick with what I've got.

One thing you can't really see in that picture is that there is a little less material on the inside where it contacts the magazine (opposite side of the button). That has is take a little less push to release the magazine. I was thinking about removing a little bit from my OEM extended to see if that would help me release it without extending the button too far out where it knocks out the mag unintentionally.

• 4 months later...

I shoot a G34 and have short thumbs and can't reach the release without canting and messing up my original grip! I'm going to try release with my support hand ! Ugh !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I shoot a G34 and have short thumbs and can't reach the release without canting and messing up my original grip! I'm going to try release with my support hand ! Ugh !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you have a Gen4 Glock and you are right-handed, you might try moving the Magazine Catch to the right side and releasing it with your index (trigger) finger. This technique has the side-effect of making real sure that your trigger finger is outside the trigger guard during a magazine change.

Not an attempt to hijack the thread, but I thought that was worth mentioning.

Chris

My g34 auto releases when I insert mag. I love that! It didn't start doijg that until I had 1000+ rounds through it.

I don't understand what you mean? Auto release ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I slap the mag in - it bumps the mag release and the slide goes into battery without me touching the mag release lever.

I think you mean slide release?

I plan on getting an extended one from Glockstore.com. They have 2 different styles for the gen4. both have the screwed-on aluminum plate that extends back. I think they drill and tap a factory extended mag release. I want mine to be as big and as far back as possible. My shooting grip doesn't interfere and even though I have big hands, it's a real stretch for me to press the release on my g35 gen4 without changing my grip.