Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Dry Firing

Duane Thomas

The spring cups are what get pounded in the striker assy - and the snap cap isn't going to help that. Personally, I perceive a firearm with anything but a completely empty chamber as a safety hazard. I'd rather buy new strikers periodically (which I don't think I'll ever have to).

I've seen three guns have the breechface break through. Two of the three were from heavy dry firers that didn't use snap caps and the striker came through during dry fire. Glock replaced the slide in each case and maintained that dry firing was not the problem, but didn't provide an alternate reason.

I have snap caps that I use in my other guns so I use them with my Glocks too. I use snap caps and CRTC inert training magazines with my Glocks. Safe and easy.

I've seen three guns have the breechface break through. Two of the three were from heavy dry firers that didn't use snap caps and the striker came through during dry fire. Glock replaced the slide in each case and maintained that dry firing was not the problem, but didn't provide an alternate reason.

I have snap caps that I use in my other guns so I use them with my Glocks too. I use snap caps and CRTC inert training magazines with my Glocks. Safe and easy.

I've personally had two do this (a 35 and a 27). Just bad luck - maybe.

Glock replaced both slides for free. They told me to use snap caps. I now use snap caps.

The best snap caps I have found are A-Zoom. The work well and last. The shell is made of solid aluminum and the "primer" is hard rubber. They are anodized a reddish brown color and are easy to recognize (vs a normal round).

A-Zoom snap caps are head and shoulders better than the plastic models with the little spring loaded brass "primers". If you use snap caps and haven't tried them you're missing out.

----

As far as safety, I don't have a problem chambering a snap cap for dry fire. I can easily tell the difference between a snap cap and a real round and have a specific procedure I follow to safe the equipment for dry fire that helps as well.

However each person has to do what it takes for them to be safe.

yup, same here in the Philippines. One of my shooting buddies broke the breechface of two G17s. Glock also replaced them

My first really good Glock trigger was done by clipping a couple coils off the trigger return spring and then dry firing it a couple of “ten“ thousand times. I am still dry-firing that same striker (with new spring parts) and the count has to be way over 50k combined rounds and dry-fire snaps.

I just plain don’t worry about it in anything I have. I also agree with the philosophy of not dropping the striker/hammer on anything but an empty chamber unless it is “intentionally“ a live round.

--

Regards,

snap caps are only good for double rifles, and rimfires...if the gun gets damaged due to dryfire, it probably wasnt that good of a gun!

Well Glock makes a pretty good gun, and they told me to use snap caps if I dry fire a lot.

I never used snap caps when I owned a G19. Then I saw the breechface crack of two G17's of a friend (same one 9mx mentioned above). Now I'll be using a snap cap if I'm getting another glock.

It's too unfortunate getting warranty work for us back here is a real pain. Otherwise, it would have been a non-issue.

This also prompted me to open a thread about what stops a striker in a glock when released. I'm hoping a fix can be fashioned so the breech ass isn't the one taking the brunt of the striker force.

snap caps are only good for double rifles, and rimfires...if the gun gets damaged due to dryfire, it probably wasnt that good of a gun!

Well Glock makes a pretty good gun, and they told me to use snap caps if I dry fire a lot.

Cy,

By that logic, you shoot factory ammo only, right? 'cause I'm pretty sure Glock is still encouraging every one to shoot factory ammo only...... :D:D

At GSSF matches, if you have a malf with factory ammo in a stock Glock you get to shoot again. I guess that is because that run just didn’t happen because that just doesn’t happen with stock Glocks ;-)

I intend on continuing my evil ways and Dryfire my Glock’s until they break. I’ll let you all know when that happens.

--

Regards,

Cy,

By that logic, you shoot factory ammo only, right? 'cause I'm pretty sure Glock is still encouraging every one to shoot factory ammo only...... :D:D

Very little factory ammo :D

However, after breaking two breach faces, I now use snap caps. It's not a big hassle. YMMV.

I hope ya'll are happy now. You have made me go and scrape all the crude off my Glock so I could see if my breechface was broken. :angry:

Now its probably gonna break.

You can hear when it's broken when you dry fire. I can't explain it, but you'll know it.

I hope ya'll are happy now. You have made me go and scrape all the crude off my Glock so I could see if my breechface was broken.  :angry:

Now its probably gonna break.

You can hear when it's broken when you dry fire. I can't explain it, but you'll know it.

Boy...you stepped in it John...you are gonna have to go dry-fire practice now. :)