Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind Accuracy Can You Expect Out of a Glock 35

Bart Solo

I have been shooting a Springfield Range Officer in Limited 10. It's accuracy is outstanding. I want to shoot Limited, but don't have the jack right now to purchase a race tuned 2011. I have looked at a lot of polymer guns and after much deliberation and for many reasons I think the Glock 35 might be the ticket but I come back to accuracy. I know it won't be as accurate as a good 1911 or 2011, but just what level of competition accuracy can one expect out of a Glock 35 compared to an M&P Pro 40 or a XDm Competition in 40 S&W?

Edited by Bart Solo

With a front FO sight, and some additional work from TTI, my Glock 35 is extremely accurate. With practice I can consistently put snake eyes at 20yards.

The gun is not my limiting factor, mine is discipline, trigger control, breathing, and practice.

I would suggest you find someone local to you that has a 35 and take it for a spin, I think you will be pleased.

Photo%2520May%252002%252C%25209%252044%2

Basically what the poster above me said. It should be plenty accurate for what your trying to use it for. It's a reliable, good running good that isn't going to break the bank.

All Glocks should shoot sub 2" groups with good ammunition from 25 yards when rested.

Glocks are acurrate, but that might be pushing it

Gen 3 G34 shot a best 5 shot group of 1.81" and a Gen 4 G17 shot a best 5 shot group of 1.18" with a Firearms Instructor doing the shooting from a rest.

Both groups were shot with HST 124+P. Each pistol shot 5 groups using different ammunition and these were the best groups.

Thanks for the great advice everybody. It is much appreciated.

I got my wife's permission and ordered the Glock 35 from my FFL (her Christmas present to me) so I will find out next week how well it shoots.

I gave the M&P Pro 40 a lot of thought, and I came very close to buying the XD m Competition on a couple of occasions, but in the end I decided Glock and especially the quantity and quality of Glock aftermarket accessories were just hard to beat. I also decided the XD m's barrel sits a little too high in the hand for my liking. I even thought about buying a 9mm to shoot limited and still wonder if the advantages of the 9mm don't out weigh the scoring disadvantage that comes from shooting minor. Don't get me wrong, I think any of the three named 40s will work well for just about any shooter. The gun isn't what is important. It is just a tool. The person using the tool is what matters. I am hoping I am not disappointed, but if I am, I am not married to it. I don't intend to give up my 1911. So if the Glock doesn't work out, I can just shoot Limited 10.

Now the next question, 180 or 165? ;)

All Glocks should shoot sub 2" groups with good ammunition from 25 yards when rested.

Gen 3 G34 shot a best 5 shot group of 1.81" and a Gen 4 G17 shot a best 5 shot group of 1.18" with a Firearms Instructor doing the shooting from a rest.

Both groups were shot with HST 124+P. Each pistol shot 5 groups using different ammunition and these were the best groups.

Even I'm a little surprised by that. I've always argued they are plenty accurate but that's pretty damn good. A ransom rest would be the ideal test/ I'm surprised the 17 was more accurate than the 34 honestly. Stock barrels in both?

Even I'm a little surprised by that. I've always argued they are plenty accurate but that's pretty damn good. A ransom rest would be the ideal test/ I'm surprised the 17 was more accurate than the 34 honestly. Stock barrels in both?

That actually doesn't surprise me.

The OEM barrel fitting on the half dozen or so gen4s I've owned has been noticeably better than any of the half dozen or so gen3s I've owned.

You have been reading to many gun magazines.

Most guns are not capable of 2" groups with any ammunition. Period!!

You may be lucky to have one that does but that is all it is. Luck.

I will also add that many guns will shoot a tight group now and then but not consistently.

Can you have a gun that will do that? Yes. But to have a stock gun do it, rarely.

I will also add that many guns will shoot a tight group now and then but not consistently.

Can you have a gun that will do that? Yes. But to have a stock gun do it, rarely.

How many guns and different ammo combinations where tested before two guns where found that where able to produce these kinds of results? While Glocks are accurate, your expectations might be a little high to think that anyone can repeatably go to a lgs and buy $500 guns and get those kinds of results.

I have been shooting a Springfield Range Officer in Limited 10. It's accuracy is outstanding. I want to shoot Limited, but don't have the jack right now to purchase a race tuned 2011. I have looked at a lot of polymer guns and after much deliberation and for many reasons I think the Glock 35 might be the ticket but I come back to accuracy. I know it won't be as accurate as a good 1911 or 2011, but just what level of competition accuracy can one expect out of a Glock 35 compared to an M&P Pro 40 or a XDm Competition in 40 S&W?

The biggest determiner of accuracy of a G35 is how well you can control the hideously awful trigger as you pull it.

I suppose you can guess I never grew to love my Glock 35.....

That is also what I have seen for the many years I read gun magazines: few guns shoot under 2". Even some "top name" 1911's can barely hold 2" and that is only with their favorite ammo. In most cases, changing brands of ammo on any given gun can expand the group scatter by an additional inch or more. 2" is really hard to hold consistently for a mass produced gun. Edited by bountyhunter

The biggest determiner of accuracy of a G35 is how well you can control the hideously awful trigger as you pull it.

Yeah - this.

It's hard to beat even a so-so 1911/2011 trigger. I have a hard time getting over the mushy Glock trigger. The stock trigger is heavier, but less mushy. As you lighten up the trigger pull, the squishy feel increases as well.

I've played with some tuned triggers that felt pretty good. I'm pretty sure they had also disabled the internal safeties in the process. This wasn't much of a concern on a game gun, but still something to consider.

Just to do something different, I switched from the 2011 platform and played with some Glocks for a while. I found the USP a little better, and tried running that in a few matches, but locking up on the long reset bit me on some up close hoser targets. So I switched back to the Glock for a while. Much shorter reset, but trigger is still mush.

I think I'll switch back to a 2011 this spring.

I suppose you can guess I never grew to love my Glock 35.....

We will findout about the "hideously awful trigger" when I pull it. I have been reading the thread with interest. I am not concerned about whether a Glock 35 (or any Glock for that matter) has target pistol accuracy. I intend to use it in an action game. I am concerned whether it is capable of shooting alphas very fast and very consistently. How fast can I line it up for a short to medium shot at a pretty large target. That is why I mentioned competition accuracy in my first post. Of course, a "hideously awful trigger" is an important factor in competition accuracy, as is the ability to obtain and maintain a good consistent grip. One reason I am buying a Glock 35 is it is said to have a better out of the box trigger than either the XDm Competition or the M&P Pro 40. I have pulled all three triggers, and have to say I would have to have a full trigger job on any XDm Competiton I would purchase. A good friend of mine shoots an M&P Pro 40 is proud of the trigger work he had done on it. Looking on line, I see most users of Glock 35s do some minor trigger work, but the first thing most change is the sights. Sights are very personal. Just about every action shooter insists on sights to his liking. For me finding the front sight fast after a shot is far more important than whether the gun will shoot a sub 2 inch group at 25 yards from a Ransom Rest.

The great thing about the Glock's "hideously awful trigger" is there seem to be a lot of inexpensive but highly regarded replacements all over the place. Real gunsmithing doesn't seem to be necessary to install one of them.

That said, if I had the money, I would buy a multi thousand dollar race 2011 and be done with it. Who wouldn't?

Edited by Bart Solo

Better sights and improved trigger on a full size glock, sub 2 inch isn't an outrageous claim but it's probably not going to be consistent. I'v had groups of 5-6 at 25 yards that were all touching, most of the time groups are well within 4 inches though. Then you get that random flyer which butchers everything up. I think Glocks can be shot better then a lot of people give them credit for.

Real gunsmithing doesn't seem to be necessary....

Being able to change out the sights, trigger, and springs, without paying a gunsmith, is important to me. It's built like a tank, and the accuracy is better than the majority of shooters in Action Shooting.

Real gunsmithing doesn't seem to be necessary....

Being able to change out the sights, trigger, and springs, without paying a gunsmith, is important to me. It's built like a tank, and the accuracy is better than the majority of shooters in Action Shooting.

I totally agree as to the abiltiy to swap out sights, trigger and springs without a gunsmith, and I acknowledge Glock's reputation for being built like a tank. As to the ability of the majority of shooters playing action games, I suspect you are right.

Edited by Bart Solo