Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turn and draw

peacemaker25

One more skill I'm trying to get a handle on. From watching videos of good shooters doing the turn and draw, it looks like the prevailing wisdom is to turn towards the gun side, and to lead with the head and shoulders, letting the feet follow. For some reason, I'm having more trouble than usual wrapping my brain around this one, as the martial artist in me wants to start with the feet, and then lever everything else around from there.

Could someone give me a breakdown of how this one works for them?

Toward the gun side...the gun isn't moving as much..easier to find...isn't as likely to get lost (out of a race holster)...not gaining too much momentum from being on the outside radius of the arc (we soon have to stop it on target).

Lead with the head...the idea there is to get the eyes on target. Locate where you want to go...so that you can stop there.

I don't know that the feet should have to wait, but locating the target visually seems to be key. Maybe your feet and eyes could race. :)

I learned from practicing with Steve Anderson's book to snap the head first. Like Flex says, it gets you on target faster BUT your time to turn and fire is much faster. I don't know or care why but it just proved the fact over and over again on the timer.

Every once in a while, depending on the stage, it will be advantageous to turn away from the gun but generally those will be rare instances.

I learned from practicing with Steve Anderson's book to snap the head first. Like Flex says, it gets you on target faster BUT your time to turn and fire is much faster. I don't know or care why but it just proved the fact over and over again on the timer.

In my timed practices, it seems like I can get my body turned around about the same speed, no matter what, but by getting the head/eyes around first, they have something to do (acquire the target and start guiding the sights to it) while the rest of the body is still turning, drawing, etc, so you're doing 2 things at once instead of doing 1 thing and then doing another. definitely faster.

Edited by motosapiens

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, turn to strong side, eyes on target. The only thing I will do is cheat my body angle to the strong side slightly to the target array as it seems quickerer to drive the gun to the weak side than wind up to the strong side.

Yep, turn to strong side, eyes on target. The only thing I will do is cheat my body angle to the strong side slightly to the target array as it seems quickerer to drive the gun to the weak side than wind up to the strong side.

that would be against the rules depending on how the WSB is worded. "Facing uprange " is defined in the rule book.

• 3 weeks later...

Turning away from the gun side will increase you chances of breaking the 180. Brain may say turn then draw but your instincts are telling you to get the gun out of the holster as soon as possible. Another bonus to turning on the gun side is that your draw stroke will not be affected and target acquisition will feel more natural.

• 3 weeks later...

The gun will move 180 degrees and exactly the same distance regardless of which way you turn. If you pick up the targets better over your left shoulder it should not cost time turning counterclockwise (for a right hander). You do risk drawing before crossing the 180 safety plane and you risk getting falsely DQed by someone who thinks you violated the plane..

The gun will move 180 degrees and exactly the same distance regardless of which way you turn. If you pick up the targets better over your left shoulder it should not cost time turning counterclockwise (for a right hander). You do risk drawing before crossing the 180 safety plane and you risk getting falsely DQed by someone who thinks you violated the plane..

Sorry, but it's much faster to turn into the gun. If you think about it all the un then has to do is pivot with your body to the inside. If you go the other way the gun has to travel in an arc. The only time I go the "wrong" way is the odd stage where the first array I want to shoot is over that way somewhere. :)

Sorry, but it's much faster to turn into the gun. If you think about it all the un then has to do is pivot with your body to the inside. If you go the other way the gun has to travel in an arc. The only time I go the "wrong" way is the odd stage where the first array I want to shoot is over that way somewhere. :)

What? it's almost totally irrelevant how the gun travels. it only weighs a couple lbs. People turn into the gun because it's harder to see if you break the 180, lol.

I practice both directions and it takes me the exact same amount of time to turn, draw and get a shot off. those who have studied physics will say "duh".

What? it's almost totally irrelevant how the gun travels. it only weighs a couple lbs. People turn into the gun because it's harder to see if you break the 180, lol.

I practice both directions and it takes me the exact same amount of time to turn, draw and get a shot off. those who have studied physics will say "duh".

For every rule there is an exception and may be you are the one. For "most" people, turning towards the gun is faster and safer. ;)

For every rule there is an exception and may be you are the one. For "most" people, turning towards the gun is faster and safer. ;)

Safer, certainly

faster....???? Maybe. How much faster are you turning into the gun? how much do you practice turning the other way?

• 3 weeks later...

If the martial artist in you practices a form like Taekwondo, you'd realize that a turn and draw is basically a spinning kick. You snap the head to locate the target, and let the feet just sort of uncoil themselves. I always thought I'd be faster turning away from the gun because I'd bring it up to my chest as I was turning and punch it out, but for some reason it just never worked that way.