Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flags at half-staff for Nelson Mandela

Carmoney

While I posted a last shot fired comment for him, for which I got crucified for by the way, I also believe our flag should not be lowered for a foreign dignitary. Afterall, in ceremonies where the colors are displayed they are not even dipped for the playing of the national anthem. Our flag is supposed to stand for something and be held in high regard. (literally).

I used to work in a small city run by all the local good old boys and they would lower the flag for the death of a school janitor or an insurance salesman. Every time I made a comment I was told by the mayor that that is his flag to do with as he chooses!

You struck a nerve Carmoney!

Completely agree that lowering our National Colors for this convicted terrorist undermines everything our flag stands for. In the 80s, his ANC engaged in a vicious campaign of terrorism. In addition to his endorsement of numerous bombing attacks that killed dozens of women and children, he and his wife also popularized the use of the "Mandela Necklace" where the bound victim had a tire filled with fuel placed around his neck and then set ablaze. Result was slow death by burning that could take up to 20 minutes. Hell, Mandela was on our Terror Watch list until 2008 when political correctness led to his removal.

If "Hanoi" Jane died today, our Fearless Leader would probably lower the flag for her too. Our Nation's memory is sadly very short.

This is the proper place for the Mandela rant. Our flag is a symbol of our country. We lower it to show respect to our fallen heros, not to foreign powers. IMHO there are true heros that are not military who deserve the same privledge.

To me....a flag at 1/2 staff means you were something to THIS country. Soldier. President( whether I agreed with you or not). Hero.

Anything....ANYTHING....less than that diminishes it.

1/2 staff is not a T Ball trophy....and never should be. It's earned. PERIOD.

Today it was lowered for a convicted terrorist...as a country we are screwed.

Done now before I get banned.

Edited by whitedog

I don't even know how to appripriately respond to this. On principal and what I was tought and believe that a flag a half mast means/stands for Mandela doesn't qualify regaurdless of his accomplishments, especially considering his accomplishments are almost entirely for the benefit of another country. It is the flag of the United States of America, not of whoever happens to be likable anywhere in the world. Unfortunate

While I can appreciate the sentiment, you guys don't have the law or history on your side....

From the Flag Code:

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Do I like it? Nope, I don't.....

I saw the flags at half staff on the way to work. I had to ask folks at work "why" ? It took us all a while to figure out-- That says it all for me right there-- obvious to me it wasn't a national reason, which I assumed was the intent of doing so. Apparently, per the above posting of the flag code, pretty much whatever the pres says goes (note my use of the lower case p in the case of this administration...)

Completely agree that lowering our National Colors for this convicted terrorist undermines everything our flag stands for. In the 80s, his ANC engaged in a vicious campaign of terrorism. In addition to his endorsement of numerous bombing attacks that killed dozens of women and children, he and his wife also popularized the use of the "Mandela Necklace" where the bound victim had a tire filled with fuel placed around his neck and then set ablaze. Result was slow death by burning that could take up to 20 minutes. Hell, Mandela was on our Terror Watch list until 2008 when political correctness led to his removal.

If "Hanoi" Jane died today, our Fearless Leader would probably lower the flag for her too. Our Nation's memory is sadly very short.

SO MANY are SO QUICK to forget, "EVERYBODY'S a hero " so much PC BS makes me sick.

No wonder this country is circling the drain.

ETA; DID they lower it for Margret Thatcher ? HOW many days ? HOW MANY of our leaders went to her funeral ?

Never mind, I just remembered her race.

Edited by toothandnail

While I can appreciate the sentiment, you guys don't have the law or history on your side....

From the Flag Code:

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Do I like it? Nope, I don't.....

sorry, Nik. he may be a dignitary in your book, but not mine (or most of my brothers here).

SO MANY are SO QUICK to forget, "EVERYBODY'S a hero " so much PC BS makes me sick.

No wonder this country is circling the drain.

ETA; DID they lower it for Margret Thatcher ? HOW many days ? HOW MANY of our leaders went to her funeral ?

Never mind, I just remembered her race.

Please keep race out of this. No place for that on this forum.