Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Firing Pins ……. what are you running and why?

thegunnerd

Hi Everyone

After participating in a thread with a few other people about trying to suss out a problem with my AR doubling ( or possibly in this case , slam firing ) . We started talking about replacing my full mass firing pin with a titanium firing pin to reduce the mass and possibility of a slam fire . I'm running a JP LMOS , low mass rifle buffer , jp flat would chrome silicon spring , seekins adjustable gas block.

So the question is …… what kind of firing pin do you run? what kind of operating system ? and why ? Have you found problems ? Did a firing pin solve that problem ?

Just curious, doesn't the lmos from JP come with a firing pin installed? What material is it? You would think if the lmos had slam fire troubles and a titanium pin would solve the issue, that they would ship with them.

JP LMOS Bolt assly with adj gas. Always have used a std AR15 steel firing pin. Never had a double or a slam fire. I have had several rifles set up this way and never an issue. Even a Ti Bolt carrier I ran for a while was fine with a std firing pin. Ammo has varied from M193 to my reloads using no 41 primers to factory rem and winchester. All has performed fine. I can not recall if I ever used std small rifle primers or not, nor do I know what factory .223 uses for primers. I do think that softer primers may be the culprit for many who do have issues. A Ti firing pin may be a treatment for that symptom.

Every CTR-02 rifle that I have been around that has slam fired has been cured with a Ti pin. Not all of them do, but I would bet that a lot of shooters have had it happen and immediately blamed the trigger, kind of like the path you veered off on. I did have one slam fire years ago when I was closing the bolt at load and make ready, around 2001 since that time I have always run a Ti pin. I have fixed around 10 light systems with Ti pins and have observed many more slam fire during a match. The unaware will always blame the trigger. The reason I'll bet they don't come with one is that there isn't a consistent supply source.

Edited by kurtm

I use one in my match rifle. I could force mine to double if held really hard and the extra piece of mind to step further away from a possible DQ at LAMR is worth a few bucks to me.

The first double I ever saw in person was when Casanova shot my JP prone many years ago.

Interesting.....I blamed my SD3G trigger for doubling in my match rifle with JP lo mass carrier and JP bolt completion kit when shooting prone and switched to an AR Gold trigger. It hasn't happened since, but I hadn't shot that gun prone in some time either. I never considered the firing pin.

I may have to pick up a couple Ti firing pins and see if I can recreate that issue with that trigger group again, or if it solves it. While I like the AR Gold trigger, I felt like I shot paper faster with the Geiselle (I sometimes do not let the trigger out with the AR Gold for the second shot, just like when trying to shoot someone's 2011) and lost little to nothing on the long range targets.

...pulled from the "other thread"....

"CHECK THE FIRED PRIMERS: IF SOME OF THE ONES THAT ARE ASSOCIATED W/ THE DOUBLING LOOK LIKE A LITTLE VOLCANO GROWING BACK OUT OF THE PRIMER, IT IS SLAM FIRING (ALSO WILL BEND THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR FIRING PIN RETAINING COTTER PIN).

If you unload your chambered round after shooting and the primer looks like "HOLY CR@P! Why didn't that go off?" that is also a good indication of too much firing pin mass for the system operating speed.

I run titanium firing pins in my JP rifles w/ LMOS to avoid slam firing (I did have it SOME TIMES with standard steel firing pins) and JP alludes to this issue in their owner's manuals."

Additonally, my slam firing occured w/ an older JP aluminum carrier when we first started running "LMOS" type systems (i.e. RACING!). Never saw it using XM193 (why?: harder primers) and would see it using CCI BR4's in reloads. Put in a QMI pin from Eddie Rhodes' SOF prize bag (he wouldn't take money) and problem solved. With my newer SS LMOS guns, I always have ran a TI pin from day one, never any issues.

I do inspect the tips occasionally by magnifier and by dragging it across my lip, but have NEVER lost one or had one exhibit the dreaded and much internet discussed "tip erosion".

ericm

Just asking, but can a Ti pin hold up as well as a heat treated steel pin?

Mark

I tried a couple of different Ti firing pins over 10 years ago.

All I can say is that you should check your firing pin for damage/wear whenever your BCA is out of the upper no matter what it's made of.

The tips of the ones I tried sort of eroded or something so I pulled them and never spent the money to get more.

I wouldn't mind going back to Ti because it's a superior part for the job in terms of performance.

But in terms of longevity, maybe today's are better?

Nick

I have never had one go "bad"...ever and I have one I got in 2003. I would ask you this, for those that say they don't work, how come Ti pins last in a pistol, but not a rifle. Very interesting!

I blew a primer in the later 90's with an AR in Highpower shooting (we were using HOT loads for 600 yards) and the tip of the Ti firing pin was melted off.

Highly likely Bill, that if that really was melted (Ti MP is a little over 3000F), it would have vaporized a steel firing pin.

Edited by MarkCO

I blew a primer in the later 90's with an AR in Highpower shooting (we were using HOT loads for 600 yards) and the tip of the Ti firing pin was melted off.

Highly likely Bill, that if that really was melted (Ti MP is a little over 3000F), it would have vaporized a steel firing pin.

Huh, I'm stumped then. I returned it to the vendor at Camp Perry I had purchased it from and went back to steel FP's and have had no problems.

Brownell's carries two that are not TiN coated. That is where I get mine from.

Mark, do you recall what about the TiN coating was bad for this particular use, or what issues you saw? I only ask as I'm running a TiNi coated FP now and if that's the same as TiN I'd like to know what to watch out for.

Edited by mngunguy