Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Firing Pins ……. what are you running and why?

thegunnerd

Good to know. I did do a quick search and it appears my FP, also sold on Brownell's, is coated in TiNi which has nickel in it as well. I wonder if that's to help with the concern you listed. The coating also stops before the part of the pin the hammer strikes. Maybe I'll shoot the vendor an email but at this point I think I'll just keep an eye out. Thanks.

The Nickle coating is fine...I think I use that same one.

Even the TiN, with the reduced mass FPs and reduced power springs, are usually just fine. I saw one literally splinter apart in about 1K on an M16 with a rate of 1200 rpm and heavy everything except the FP.

Edited by MarkCO

Ok so i just installed the titanium firing pin in my JP LMOS bcg. No slam fires today !!! But the system still isn't right. Can't get the bolt to lock back . Running the jp flat would spring , jp low mass rifle buffer and the jp low mass bcg. Seekins adjustable gas block.

PS. my full mass carrier locks back no problem . I've been back and forth with all this trying to get it to work right . Chatting with Tim Ubl and many others , i'm at a loss . Anyone else have these issues with low mass systems ?

Not to derail my own topic of course :devil:

So the gun runs, just does not lock back on an empty mag? The JP flat wound spring is an XP spring, I would go to a standard weight spring. In some cases, the Seekins don't seal well with the barrel and you might have leaking there too. I changed one out last week and the gun ran perfect afterwards. Re-installed the Seekins with Rockset and now the owner has adjustment and full function. Just two options to try.

I"m seeing some fouling on the actual gas tube , but that's not unheard of , at least in the guns i've run before. not seeing anything leaking out from underneath though . Hopefully my change is springs will fix the issues .