Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backward bullet wrecks hit factor

JayDee

9mm ammo does not feed well in reverse. Although I haven't tried this with other calibers, I suspect the results will be the same :lol:

During today's match, my trusty CZ jammed. I did the standard tap/rack drill, but the slide wouldn't go into battery. When I looked into the breech, I thought "this doesn't look right"…. the plated hollow point was staring back at me, facing the firing pin, with the primer toward the muzzle. Clearly not ideal. Well, after a trip for the squib rod I scored the worst positive hit factor of all time.

Either I totally goofed and fed a round into the mag backwards, which is hard to believe, but not totally inconceivable, or I dropped a mag, had the top round flip over and then topped it off without looking. I think the second option is more likely. At least my ego hopes this is the case.

Either way, I felt like a total a$$ for failing to get my bullets pointing the right direction. At least it wasn't a bigger match.

AAANNDD there is a thread floating around about the need to check mags after they get dropped. Not just to clean them but to check for things like this. I have had rounds nearly flip all the way over backwards. But even worse are the ones down inside that get jammed together and cause a salt shaker malf after topping them off and thinking they are full. The only way to be positive your mags are good to go is to unload them after every stage and reload. Especially if you used / dropped them.

• 2 months later...

Related drift:

I was helping some new shooters with their gear in the safe area:

New shooter: "Excuse me, I can't get my gun into the holster"

Me, "That might be because the holster is on your belt upside down..."

I had a friend load a mag full of 40 into my 45 1911, target was at about 15 feet. When he pulled the slide to the rear, most of the rounds shot out the breech and landed about half way to the target.

SS

I'm surprised, I've successfully shot 40 out of my 45 1911 twice. Once was when I let my Army cousin load my mags for me. (never assume that military service=handgun proficiency; I have great respect for our military and he certainly knew his way around a rifle, but had very little experience with handguns) The second time is still a mystery; happened at a match, back when I didn't even own a 40. My best guess is some helpful person picked up one of my mags, picked up what they believed was my ejected round from ULASC and put it back in the mag.

• 1 month later...