Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Parts Kit

Gandof

Getting back to the CZ for production USPSA and SSP IDPA. I'm shooting my 85 Combat. I've never had it happen, but I understand the slide stops are prone to breakage. Obviously I need to include a slide stop in my range bag parts kit, but what else needs to be there? I'm thinking a hammer spring, recoil springs, and possibly a firing pin and spring. What am I missing?

I appreciate your input.

More likely than any of those parts breaking is needing to replace the trigger return spring. It's staked in place, so you need a punch, etc. to get it out. Cajun Gun Works makes a floating trigger pin that's held in place by spring tension and is easier to get out in the future.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I always carry at minimum the parts most likely to break along with whatever tools I might need for the platform I'm shooting. I've used it a few times helping other shooters as well as field repairs on my own guns.

Hadn't heard about the Trigger Return Spring breakage. I need to familarize myself with that part and what it takes to replace it. Thanks for the tip.

Can't swing it at the moment, but at some point I'll pick up another CZ, likely a Shadow, to run as primary, and keep the 85 for backup. I'll likely be shooting the CZ platform for the foreseable future.

Thanks again!

Funny, I've broken two slide stops, and two firing pin springs... but I've yet to break a trigger return spring.

Wow - out of curiosity, how many rounds?

Additionally, how does one break a FP spring?

I too had FP spring break in Shadow, at about 60K rounds thru it.

I carry spare extractor, guide rod, all pins and springs. Extra screw for grip panel, firing pin, slide stop, mag follower, mag base pad. Box with tools and a wooden board (work bench).

Also, if you have FO front sight, have FO rod on hand and a lighter.

I always carry a backup for my primary when I shoot Glocks or single stacks. I'm thinking that might be my best option with the CZ as well. Field repairs with the Glocks and 1911s are simple and fast with minimal tools. I'm thinking this might not be the case with the CZs. Until then a Gock 34/35 will have to serve as backup. Another 85 or Shadow is definately on my short list.

Good news is the slide stop doesn't completely fall out when it breaks. Thumb on the left side to push it in and finish the stage. Right side of the stop is held in place by a retention spring. When shooting, the typical indication of the breakage is the slide locking back and the left side portion of the slide stop extending out the slide.

What to have with you.....

After 60k rnds thru an SP01 here is my experience.

1. Slide stops break. Since I am somewhat OCD, I track rnds thru my pistols. I know the rnd count for each part that breaks. I average them and do an SD as well. Silde stops are breaking on my pistol at about 9,800 rnds average. SD is 2,700. However, the sample size is small. One lasted 14+k and another is still running with more than that.

2. Trigger return springs WILL break. Sucks when this happens during a match and more so if it is a major match..... Two have broken and the average is 16k rnds. The third seems to be living forever...

3. Broke one at 27k rnds. The new one is still working fine 33k rnd later. When I change it I do change the spring at the same time.

4. I have the fixed competition rear sight. If there is not .001 to .002" clearance between the slide and bottom of the sight behind the dovetail. The sight will metal fatigue and break. With out the clearance, rear of the sight is under tension and it will fatigue and break. If there is a small gap, no issue.

5. Recoil springs do not last forever. I change my every 10k-12k rnds.

6. Mag springs will fatigue and need replacement.

Final though is to track what breaks and when in your pistol. Replace slide stop, trigger return spring, and extractor if rnd count gets very high and you are getting ready for a major match. Do it early enough you can put a few hundred rnds through the pistol after parts change out. I track the new parts, and after the match put the old back in the pistol and run then until they die.

Since most of the steel in theses pistols comes from old Russian T-34 tanks what can we expect? LOLand ;-)

Hope this is helpful.

Good news is the slide stop doesn't completely fall out when it breaks. Thumb on the left side to push it in and finish the stage. Right side of the stop is held in place by a retention spring. When shooting, the typical indication of the breakage is the slide locking back and the left side portion of the slide stop extending out the slide.

What to have with you.....

After 60k rnds thru an SP01 here is my experience.

1. Slide stops break. Since I am somewhat OCD, I track rnds thru my pistols. I know the rnd count for each part that breaks. I average them and do an SD as well. Silde stops are breaking on my pistol at about 9,800 rnds average. SD is 2,700. However, the sample size is small. One lasted 14+k and another is still running with more than that.

2. Trigger return springs WILL break. Sucks when this happens during a match and more so if it is a major match..... Two have broken and the average is 16k rnds. The third seems to be living forever...

3. Broke one at 27k rnds. The new one is still working fine 33k rnd later. When I change it I do change the spring at the same time.

4. I have the fixed competition rear sight. If there is not .001 to .002" clearance between the slide and bottom of the sight behind the dovetail. The sight will metal fatigue and break. With out the clearance, rear of the sight is under tension and it will fatigue and break. If there is a small gap, no issue.

5. Recoil springs do not last forever. I change my every 10k-12k rnds.

6. Mag springs will fatigue and need replacement.

Final though is to track what breaks and when in your pistol. Replace slide stop, trigger return spring, and extractor if rnd count gets very high and you are getting ready for a major match. Do it early enough you can put a few hundred rnds through the pistol after parts change out. I track the new parts, and after the match put the old back in the pistol and run then until they die.

Since most of the steel in theses pistols comes from old Russian T-34 tanks what can we expect? LOLand ;-)

Hope this is helpful.

That is helpful. One thing I never hear of people replacing in a CZ is the barrel. Would you ever expect to replace that?

should only have to replace the barrel if you damage the crown, or get a ring in it from a squib or from shooting it whilst it's really leaded.

with the slide stop best idea i've heard is this.

buy a new slide stop. put it in and shoot 300 rounds or so. now take it out and it becomes the 'match' slide stop. put the used one back in and use it for practice. only use the match slide stop at matches and count the rounds. it will then stay 'new' much longer and if the other one breaks during practice? no big deal.

I'd also say:

keep spare fibre for front sight. in fact front sights themselves are fragile keeping a spare of those is not a bad idea.

spare guiderod (especially if you're using a steel one)

spare recoil spring

TRS seems like a good idea as does hammer spring.

funnily enough my shadow is 5 years old. had 2 owners and shoots about 200 rounds a week average. nothing broken yet and nothing replaced either. actually that's a lie. 2 front sights broken (most likely touched a barricade when shooting service).

can't blame the pistol for that. :)

Not always. My slide stop broke at the AL Sectional. Gun was locked up tighter than a snare drum. The slide was not locked back. The left side would not budge, in or out. I had no idea what the issue was when it happened. Now i know better. But when my slide stop broke, there was no finishing the stage. So my two cents is, if you're a competition shooter, replace it before it happens. I would replaced after 10-15K rounds. If that sounds like too much, then ask yourself this, how much was that match fee that I just wasted when my gun decided to take a dump during a major?

Mag springs - replace one a year. Same thing...FUBAR'd the FL Open last year because of bad mag springs. My issue was they were too tight.

Extractor - Clean out BEHIND it every 5000 rounds. Replace it every year.

TRS - First, buy the Cajun TRS, they include a slave pin...which is AWESOME! Use the Cajun TRS, the CZ OEM spring will break, just a matter of time.

Recoil spring - replace every 10K rounds.

Hammer Spring - every 15K

These are by no means scientific. Just how I roll. I also clean my gun way more than most people. So take it for what it's worth.

Have a backup part for everything, have two of all the parts listed above. Make sure you buy them all at once. CZCustom is a great source for all of this, but they will eat you alive in shipping costs if you order parts one or two at a time. Raise your hand if you've paid $15 for a $2 part because you needed it before an upcoming match. :blush:

Slide stops. I run one for major matches, one for practice and local matches. The rotate the major match one into practice.

New TRS is proving good. I grease mine though.

On parts, next time call or email me. I can manually input shipping .

Slide stops. I run one for major matches, one for practice and local matches. The rotate the major match one into practice.

New TRS is proving good. I grease mine though.

On parts, next time call or email me. I can manually input shipping .

You grease your TRS? Never thought of that! Lower the heat generated from coil rubbing togerther to prolong spring life?