Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Pmags compatible Lancer Lowers

bassnbud

What is differences between Gen2 anf Gen3 thst would cause this?

The overtravel stop on the rear of the mag hits the magwell. It can be filed down though

Am I the only one having problems or are you guys using Gen 2 mags?

All mags work in mine. gen 2 or gen 3. surefire 60 and usgi mags work fine.

just tried messing with it. with the magwell removed, it fits just fine. with the magwell in place, it hits and won't seat. it needs to go up about 1/8" more to hit the mag catch. if I slam it in, it just gets wedged and never engages the mag catch either. maybe I need to call lancer.

• 2 months later...

Asked at SHOT Show and was told they would work with the Magpul Gen 3 mags. Got mine last night and got it put together. It doesn't work with Gen 3 Magpul. Called Lancer and they said it doesn't and they have no plans to make it work. Said I must have been confused because they would never say it worked with gen 3 Magpul. That's the only mag I'm using now so I seriously doubt I was confused.

I'm taking a mill to the Lancer to open up the well. I'd rather modify the mag well so that I can use any mag than try to modify every mag I have now and in the future.

Can't be anything that a little grinding on the mag won't fix......MAGPUL did a nice job of putting a 'stop' on their new magazines to prevent over insertion on mil-spec lowers; but it's been playing hell on some of the billet and other 'non-spec' lowers.

Chances are, any grinding you need to do is not going to be a worry for inserting into other lowers either.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah don't mess with the lower receiver....just take a medium rasp to the spine of the mag and flatten out that travel stop that's there. then they should work just fine. I'd screw with a $20 mag anyday before I started machining a $200 lower :)

I run all genII and lancer mags so I didn't notice this until just now while I was test fitting a 40 rounder.

BY the way if you reload and use Lancer mags don't plan on loading your bullets with an OAL of 2.250" because that is too long and won't feed reliably.

Hornady 75gr BTHP Steel Match is loaded at 2.250" so be aware of that combination before you plan on using it.

Steel Match shoots good but your semi-auto rifle turns into a single shot using Lancer Mags.

yeah don't mess with the lower receiver....just take a medium rasp to the spine of the mag and flatten out that travel stop that's there. then they should work just fine. I'd screw with a $20 mag anyday before I started machining a $200 lower :)

I run all genII and lancer mags so I didn't notice this until just now while I was test fitting a 40 rounder.

That's not quite an accurate statement. The part that needs work is the mag well itself, which on the Lancer lower is removable and replacable. It's not cheap, but it's nowhere near 200 either. My preference was to work on one $40 part rather than close to 100 $15 parts. Plus now I can use any magazine in the gun. For a match gun I travel with I'd rather have this setup. In case the airline loses my equipment bag, but not the gun case, now I can borrow any mags at a match.

BY the way if you reload and use Lancer mags don't plan on loading your bullets with an OAL of 2.250" because that is too long and won't feed reliably.

Hornady 75gr BTHP Steel Match is loaded at 2.250" so be aware of that combination before you plan on using it.

Steel Match shoots good but your semi-auto rifle turns into a single shot using Lancer Mags.

I shot around 40 rnds of the stuff thru my Lancer 20 rnds mags. Worked fine for me granted it wasn't many rounds Edited by cajunautoxer