Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm

Smitty4313

Haven't seen any in a few years. One trouble is that you loose a fraction of your brass, with almost no chance to make it up by finding other 10mm brass on the ground.

However, you can shoot a 10mm with a .40 conversion barrel in ESP. Lots of .40 brass on the ground. This would be a good route if you have a 10 you like to shoot.

I've not seen one in an IDPA match, either local or sanctioned. Unless you install a conversion .40 S&W barrel as mentioned, you would be dealing with expensive brass and more recoil with no competitive benefits. However, if the 10MM is a gun you carry on a regular basis, you would be building your marksmanship and gun handling skills.

If brass were not so expensive I would like to shoot my Glock Mod. 20 in a few matches. I just checked Starline and you can't even backorder, which is not surprising given the current state of things. As was just said a conversion barrel might be the way to go and save the 10mm brass for when you can reclaim it.

I shot my very first IDPA match with a 10mm Glock 20. Out of 7 shooters I had the best score in the SSP unclassified group and I am pretty sure they were all shooting 9mm. Now I should add the ammo i was shooting was American Eagle 180 gr FMJ that has a box velocity of about 1060 fps which is on par with a typical .40 S&W velocity. That was the only match I used that gun in though but that was mostly cause the club I shoot IDPA has a lost brass rule. When I shoot SSP I only use 9mm now because its cheap realative to any other caliber(Sig P228 or Beretta 92FS). I believe in the first few editions of the rule book 10mm used to be in CDP. Would be nice if they allowed that again or greated a new major division for 10mm/.40/.357 sig.

Hey Gang, is anybody using 10mm in IDPA? I was having a chat with a local gunsmith here, and he was saying there probably isn't too much 10mm being shot, too much gun.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Smitty

If lost brass isn't an issue, you might try the 10mm brass and start at OAL length of 1.26" with 180 grain bullets and 3.0 grains of Clays (for ESP) and dial it in from there. Oh, your recoil spring should probably be 10 lbs or less with this load.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I started IDPA back in the late 90's with a Glock 20. Found the Federal Classic 190 grain to be the most forgiving & darned accurate round. Didn't take long to realize that factory ammo costs were killing me. Switched to a .40 barrel to save $$ for a bit before getting a Sig 229 (.357/40) from my first Fed agency. I do miss that huge Glock frame and novelty of being the only 10mm in the midst of .45s and 9s.

Now? I use the G 34. Never looking back! Good luck with your 10mm. If you can afford the ammo, or relaod, I say "go for it'!

When I can afford it I practice with my Delta then shoot the match with my 9! Hehe I did take the Delta to a match once. Pepper Popper goes DOWN!

I'm a horrible 10 geek though. I even got married on 10/25 (as in 10x25mm) My wife thought it was great though she also said I had absolutely no excuse to forget our anniversary.

On a more practical note I have found that shoot my 10mm a little better than I shoot a 45. No idea why.

+1 to bringing it back as a CDP cartridge

I have been shooting IDPA for more years than I can remember, and I am a brass whore, I collect every piece of brass that I can. I have never seen anyone shoot an IDPA match with 10MM.

On an off note, I do see an occasional 45Glock, or .357sig though.

my opinion is if you are going to use the gun for carry or HD, you should shoot a few idpa/uspsa matches with it to get comfortable with it and wring out any issues. it's certainly not force-on-force stress, but when that buzzer goes off, there's a lot more stress than calmly verifying accuracy at a static range. i have done a few matches with my glocks in 10mm and 357 sig for this reason.