Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is "Long Stroke" option worth $200?

srv656s

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thereby allowing the slide to just kiss the frame instead of crash into it.

Did you use to sell used cars?

What's the standard stroke? How much do you add? What do you add, less than 10%? Physics still apply. Crash to kiss by adding 10%..... not buying it.

I don't have a dog in this fight but your posts seem a bit personal. Were you bit by a stroked gun as a child?

Per the video you posted there are at least 2 advantages of a stroked gun. One would be the reliability aspect, where the slide spends just a bit more time behind the magazine so the stack has a chance to get up to the feed lips. The second would be the ability to go lighter on the recoil spring without battering the frame. This would allow for less dip when the slide returns to the firing position.

We can argue the physics of it until we are blue in the face, but that isn't the point. The gentleman builds some of the finest guns around and offers it as a option. If someone feels it makes a difference for them whether it is reduced flip, a softer rise, a longer recoil impulse, reliability, etc they can select that option. Personally my guns aren't stroked, and I haven't shot a stroked gun, but I have enough sense to believe that Shay might know a thing or two more than I about 2011s. Peoples taste in powder, gun weight, slide weight, etc varies and Shay lets people try things that are different. I'd love to try two similar guns with the only variable being the stroke on a clock and draw my own conclusion but I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

I'd love to try two similar guns with the only variable being the stroke on a clock and draw my own conclusion but I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

Throw an alumabuff in your gun, that will destroke your gun .100. That will at least answer half the question for you.

This gun is very light, stroked, lightened on inside and dust cover cut.

That is impressive! Do you have any videos of these guns being shot by people with a more average build? I think that guy could muscle just about any pistol into submission! Edited by bmiller

Two years ago I shot in a squad with Lesgar at the Gator Classic and he is amazingly quick, and a nicer gentleman you will not find. He is also as quick to paste up targets as he is shooting. I own one of Shay's Samurai 6" guns and shay was one of the easiest persons to deal with I have ever done business. I told him I wanted, he made some suggestions and I have been more than pleased with my ACGuns pistol.

^^^Look for videos of Lesgar shooting Limited.

Lesgar is freaky fast, not sure the camera man could keep up with him. At GA state last year he almost outran me while I was ROing.

Right, he's fast, but he's not a big dude like Tony.

I own two of Shay's guns, one stroked one not. Other than that they are pretty close. When I got the stroked gun I waited until after a match to shoot it. The stroked gun is softer and it is simpler to track the front sight. The difference in feel surprised me. Its enough difference that switching between the two takes a little time.

5 or 6 other people including a pro shooter shot both guns that day back to back with the same ammo. All but one felt the different recoil impulse. I know the pro shooter called Shay shortly after shooting the two guns. He was turning .10/.12 splits with it the first time he shot it.

Anyone that would like to shoot the two guns back to back is welcome to. Both are in my bag.

I shot Jules' Akai stroked 9major open gun. I found it to be very soft, flat and easy to shoot. It really seems to hunt down As. I was surprised on how many As I had on targets that I felt I did not follow thru well on. It may have been because it was stroked or the new comp or a combination of both. But it worked very well for me.

I have owned/shot a lot of different open guns. Bedells, cheely, SV, Millenniums, gans, Brazos, Sti trubors, non stroked akai and various other customs. My 5" Bedell in super and the stroked Akai are the only 2 guns that I felt that, that gun would give me an advantage over another gun.

My recommendation to someone looking for a new open gun is to track down a stroked Akai, see if it works better for you. It may, it may not but at least you can make an informed decision based on experience

Edited by Supermoto

My recommendation to someone looking for a new open gun is to track down a stroked Akai, see if it works better for you. It may, it may not but at least you can make an informed decision based on experience

You can take that empirical evidence crap someplace else, this is an internet forum!!! :roflol:

This past weekend at MS Classic I had the opportunity to shoot a 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip, stroked Akai sight tracker back-to-back against my 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip SVI Sight tracker using the same ammo.

The stroked gun shot flatter, and noticeably so.

This past weekend at MS Classic I had the opportunity to shoot a 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip, stroked Akai sight tracker back-to-back against my 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip SVI Sight tracker using the same ammo.

Maybe Shay will stroke your pistol......

Kinky

Or build me a new one...