Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tula Primers

mhoosier

• 2 weeks later...

Going on my second batch of 5000 Tula primers. Only one failure to fire on a .38 spl. Looked like a light hit so maybe the primer wasn't seated all the way. It went boom on the second try. All my pistols have full strength mainsprings, all hammer fired.

My experience with Tulas:

Two years ago I bought 4k sintered .40 bullets on sale and worked up a load for my Para Limited gun for All Steel matches; they came in just over 125 power factor so I loaded almost all with the Tula primers I had at the time. Only 4-5 All Steel matches each year so I have 2k left plus 500 or so unloaded. They always worked fine in my 1911s: Para and SA Single Stack (both with extended firing pins).

Recently bought an M&P .40 and tried out the sintered steel loads; about half would not ignite with the factory recoil spring (16 lbs). I added a 17 lb recoil spring and maybe 90% ignite.

I loaded some of the leftover sintered bullets with Winchester and Federal primers (100 each) and 100% no failures to ignite; even with a lighter 15 lb recoil spring the Win and Fed primers all ignited.

Conclusion: no Tula primers for my striker-fired pistols!

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

For over a year I have had 100% reliability with Tula primers using a M&P 9mm Pro, M&P 40 FS and a M&P45. All used reloads reloaded on a Dillon 650 using Tula small pistol primers. The only modification to the pistols was the addition of Apex trigger kits to the 40 and 45.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I was having great luck for a while. The first few thousands rounds went off without a hitch. Then suddenly in this last 1000 I've had about 20 that won't fire. They are small primers shooting through a 1911 and a CZ. I've event dropped the hammer on the failures multiple times with both guns.

This sounds like me. I went through 5000 with No issues . I ordered another 10000 from Powder Valley, and had 5 FTF in the first 1000, out of the new shipment.

I use Tula srp (KVB-.223) in 9mm, .45ACP and .223 and have had no failures. I do hand prime and seat fully.

As a check I went through some of my older TULA primed loads and reseated with a SInclair hand-priming tool so they were .004-.005 below flush. Out of 50 I still had 9 that would not fire in the stock set-up M&P .40.

I use Tula srp (KVB-.223) in 9mm, .45ACP and .223 and have had no failures. I do hand prime and seat fully.

As a check I went through some of my older TULA primed loads and reseated with a SInclair hand-priming tool so they were .004-.005 below flush. Out of 50 I still had 9 that would not fire in the stock set-up M&P .40.

They were running just fine for a few thousand rounds in my Glock 34 until a couple of weeks ago and then started getting light strikes pretty often. The 34 had the original stock striker - had probably over 20k rounds on it. I swapped in a LW striker (using a 4.5lb striker spring) I had laying around and it's lighting them off 100% again.

This just goes to show that a lot of variations people get with their "primer strikes" is due to how old the springs are in their guns. Most people know that they have to change magazine springs every so often in order to expect full reliability, but few realize that ALL the springs are subject to aging and that those in competition guns are more prone than most because of the uses they are put to. If you have 20,000 rounds on YOUR gun you should be thinking about spring changes too.

I just finished using up the last of 15k of the Wolf SSP with no problems until the last thousand or so rds. I had 5 FTFs out of those in a Glock 34. I had zero failures with the same ammo in my CZ and 1911. I'm pretty sure I got careless and failed to properly seat the primers on the last K. I would order them again if the price is right.

I know we're talking about Tula primers, but the Wolf primers are made in the same facility. I'm assuming they are pretty much the same?

Edited by Gandof

I had better "knock on wood" first, but I am loading Tula primers for my Glocks, one is a G34 with 3-1/2lb. connector and stock striker with reduced spring kit and the other is an Open Glock 17 with lightened striker and spring kit, so far, no issues...I do make sure that on the primer seat stroke on my Dillon 550, I seat 'em good!

I had better "knock on wood" first, but I am loading Tula primers for my Glocks, one is a G34 with 3-1/2lb. connector and stock striker with reduced spring kit and the other is an Open Glock 17 with lightened striker and spring kit, so far, no issues...I do make sure that on the primer seat stroke on my Dillon 550, I seat 'em good!

Haha - I've been hesitant to chime in on this thread for fear of jinxing my primers. Got 10k from PV during the rush back in July-ish and have been happy with them.

My Tula primer experience is that I had some problems with the first 1000 SRP that I loaded. The primer had very strong

Firing pin hits, but no bangs. Maybe 10-12 out of the first 1000 were like this. I did depriime a few of the ones that didn't go bang and found no anvil on top of the powder cake in the primer. I should have looked at them all but didn't.

The rest of the 5000 I bought have fired fine without issue. I think I just got a batch of primers after a fresh run of Vodka production.

I have a Glock 34 that has a Glocktriggers Edge kit in it and I have failures to ignite 2-3 out of every 100 or so. Winchester SPPs in my reloads go bang everytime as does all of my Federal, CCI, Remington and Winchester factory ammo. It is only the Tula SPPs that give my 34 any trouble.

Im about half way through a case of Tula SPP. No issues whatsover in my STI .40 Limited gun. Even loaded some up in .38SC with 10.6 grains of N105 and a 121 gr. jhp. No issues there either. Both guns have 17lb mainsprings, extended firing pins and lightened hammers. I prefer Federal/Winchester/CCI but will not hesitate to use the Tulas if thats all I can find or for practice ammo. going to try them in 9 minor in a P226. Loading on a 650 and notice that the Tulas can be hard to seat at times. Seems like the Tula SPP is about the same hardness as a Federal or Winchester rifle primer. Indetations on fired primers are nice and deep.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I have been applying some of what I've learned from this thread, and here is what I have tried and discovered:

I loaded 500 more 9mm with Tula primers, taking my time to ensure that each primer is fully seated. I am using a Dillon 650. I seated several so firmly that I even deformed them a little. I then took 200 of them to the range for a practice session with my Dan Wesson PM9 with factory strength stock springs throughout. 9 of the 200 failed to fire and looked like light primer strikes compared to empties on the ground that did fire.

I then made 200 rounds with CCI primers. Took them to the range a week later with the same gun and springs. 0 of 200 failed to fire.

Conclusion - Tula primers don't work for me. I will use what I have already loaded and not dig into my supply of them again unless I cannot get ANYTHING else. I hate wasting my time reloading rounds that I can not fire reliably.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I have been applying some of what I've learned from this thread, and here is what I have tried and discovered:

I loaded 500 more 9mm with Tula primers, taking my time to ensure that each primer is fully seated. I am using a Dillon 650. I seated several so firmly that I even deformed them a little. I then took 200 of them to the range for a practice session with my Dan Wesson PM9 with factory strength stock springs throughout. 9 of the 200 failed to fire and looked like light primer strikes compared to empties on the ground that did fire.

I then made 200 rounds with CCI primers. Took them to the range a week later with the same gun and springs. 0 of 200 failed to fire.

Conclusion - Tula primers don't work for me. I will use what I have already loaded and not dig into my supply of them again unless I cannot get ANYTHING else. I hate wasting my time reloading rounds that I can not fire reliably.

This is pretty much my experience. The ONLY failures to fire I have EVER HAD in my Caspian Limited gun has been with Wolf SPPs. Had one in each of the last two local matches I've shot with it. They are probably okay for practice, but that's about it.