Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In search of the best short colt bullets

pskys2

Just got an email from http://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/2897.htm and they said they were making a 38 160 RN, I don't see it listed but Lisa there said they had them.

I've got plenty of Bayous 160 RN and won't be able to try anything else for a while, but if someone does let us know.

I had sent them an email suggesting a lower cannelure and a true RN, they seemed open to suggestions.

I thought about that too, which is why I'm trying to convert to vithavauori powders for pistol, but for bullets I can't tell the difference in performance going from moly to jacketed, if anything in the stuff I've tested the accuracy goes down and recoils impulse goes up. I'm pretty much only using jacketed for my open gun now, because of the comp, but even with that I've heard of some shooting bayous through comps without issue

Edited by Akkid17

Extreme makes a 160, but it is lead and will fill up your comp. Tried the Bayou's in 160 2 years ago, and it also filled up the comp. I called Extreme yesterday, no plans to make the 160 plated.

Edited by hmg1

Extreme makes a 160, but it is lead and will fill up your comp. Tried the Bayou's in 160 2 years ago, and it also filled up the comp. I called Extreme yesterday, no plans to make the 160 plated.

Last April I shot a couple thousand of the Bayou 124 gr RN in my Bianchi open revolver. I was using them for practice and ran them about 1060 fps. I sprayed the comp with Dillon case lube about every 100 to 200 rounds. I got a small amount of leading on the first port only, in the rear most portion on each side of the crown and an even smaller amount just above the first baffle hole. I could clean it out pretty easily. The accuracy is not bad, not what you get from a jhp but at $70. a thousand they were great for practice. I think the coating he is using now is somewhat new so you might give them another try.

Edited by toothguy

Yup, new bayou coating. He's in either the 3rd or 4th integration of his coating and some people have said that if you tell him it will be run through a comp he can do something to up its hardness or something to lessen the likelihood of it shaving the lead into the comp.

I don't have any guns with comps or holes, but I just loaded up 500 Extreme 230s in .45 and I can keep them all on paper at 20 yards, but that about all I can do. With Bayous and J&K 230s, if I throw one out of the A zone? Well thats on me. When these are gone its back to the coated lead for me.

If I get wound up this year, I think I'll try the Xtreme .357 147 RN they're Plated and listed in the 9mm section.

When I get back to my house I will post the load I use for these. I have had excellent results with these.

Anyone tried Berrys' 158 RNs in short or mid colt brass? I'm wondering if the plating holds up making the "jump" to the cylinder throat intact?

Yes they worked well, I was able to Roll Crimp them even. Only issue is finding them regularly at this point.

I used 3.2 Titegroup, ran out of bullets before I started working with Clays. Tried WST and RS Competition but didn't like either, had to go to 135+PF to eliminate unburnt powder and stabilize the velocities.

Revoman I'd like the info you have on the 357 Xtreme 147 RN bullets, they do measure a true .357 right? Tried some .356 147 Berry's and they were all over the place.

Anyone tried Berrys' 158 RNs in short or mid colt brass? I'm wondering if the plating holds up making the "jump" to the cylinder throat intact?

Yes they worked well, I was able to Roll Crimp them even. Only issue is finding them regularly at this point.

I used 3.2 Titegroup, ran out of bullets before I started working with Clays. Tried WST and RS Competition but didn't like either, had to go to 135+PF to eliminate unburnt powder and stabilize the velocities.

Revoman I'd like the info you have on the 357 Xtreme 147 RN bullets, they do measure a true .357 right? Tried some .356 147 Berry's and they were all over the place.

I wond if the slightly reduced case volume in .38 a Super would allow a 158gr RN to stabilize with WST ~128-130PF? I have a few pounds of TG, but have 10 times more WST and have always liked how cleaning and low smoke it has been with lead bullets. As I start load development, I will post chrono and group results along the way. I have a ransom, what distance do most people group for ICORE and USPSA?

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

I will be home tomorrow and put my loads on here. Just make sure you do order the .357 bullets as they come in both .356 and .357. If you need just 100 to test for loads I can send you 100. Let me just make sure I have some at home. I will also measure them when I get home.

Thanks Revoman, just the data would be great.

The problem with WST is it's inverse temp sensitive, both in the 45 and what I found in the 38 Short Colt. I'm sure if you're willing to load it to a 135+PF it would work well. Just remember to get that PF at 90+deg.

The problem with WST is it's inverse temp sensitive,

Yes it is but I think that gets blown out of proportion. I've chronoed major .45s back to back, placed in my 0 deg freezer overnite vs same batch sitting on the dash cooking in the sun (80 deg ambient) and only got power factor change of ~2. Solo 1000 was about the same.