Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In search of the best short colt bullets

pskys2

The problem with WST is it's inverse temp sensitive,

Yes it is but I think that gets blown out of proportion. I've chronoed major .45s back to back, placed in my 0 deg freezer overnite vs same batch sitting on the dash cooking in the sun (80 deg ambient) and only got power factor change of ~2. Solo 1000 was about the same.

I agree. My 3.0gr .40 minor load from 90 deg to 20 deg only ~3.5pf. I set my loads for the summer shooting and just cope with a bit more snap of I shoot in the dead of winter. Most people shooting minor are running around the 128 range anyway.

Lee

The problem with WST is it's inverse temp sensitive,

Yes it is but I think that gets blown out of proportion. I've chronoed major .45s back to back, placed in my 0 deg freezer overnite vs same batch sitting on the dash cooking in the sun (80 deg ambient) and only got power factor change of ~2. Solo 1000 was about the same.

I agree. My 3.0gr .40 minor load from 90 deg to 20 deg only ~3.5pf. I set my loads for the summer shooting and just cope with a bit more snap of I shoot in the dead of winter. Most people shooting minor are running around the 128 range anyway.

Lee

Knock on wood..;never gone minor and I used WST for 3 straight years in the late '80's when I was hitting it heavy; It's just an issue to be aware of and plan for. And 4 PF is 30 f/s. What always vexed me was I worked up my loads in the winter and the 1st year noticed the issue in the summer, reverse of what I expected and lead to some scrambling to get comfortable again. Then combine it with variations in elevation and on site chrono's and it gets frustrating. We actually have it a lot better now, as most of the BIG matches use the chrono box and variations are kept lower than ever.

Anyone tried Berrys' 158 RNs in short or mid colt brass? I'm wondering if the plating holds up making the "jump" to the cylinder throat intact?

Yes they worked well, I was able to Roll Crimp them even. Only issue is finding them regularly at this point.

I used 3.2 Titegroup, ran out of bullets before I started working with Clays. Tried WST and RS Competition but didn't like either, had to go to 135+PF to eliminate unburnt powder and stabilize the velocities.

Revoman I'd like the info you have on the 357 Xtreme 147 RN bullets, they do measure a true .357 right? Tried some .356 147 Berry's and they were all over the place.

I will be home tomorrow and put my loads on here. Just make sure you do order the .357 bullets as they come in both .356 and .357. If you need just 100 to test for loads I can send you 100. Let me just make sure I have some at home. I will also measure them when I get home.

XTreme 147gr .357 RN, 4.0 grains Vihtavuori N330, seated 1.140. ( I am not sure why I have this in my book but I have PF from 124 to 130) Maybe because I was using my VComp and maybe the low was with the comp (Which I opened as much as I could) and maybe the high was with the blank comp on. They do measure .357. I had excellent results in my VComp with these.

Roger Better Bullets (Kings Shooter Supply) 150gr .357 RN lead, 2.9 grains Vihtavuori N310, seated 1,160, 125 PF. Out of my 627 that has had cylinder cut back to Short Colt length and with a 6" .356 barrel, comp and 3 poppel holes. I lose a lot of gas at the end of the cylinder as with the shortness of the cylinder it is free bore all the way to the forcing cone. So with a full length cylinder you might get some more FPS with this load.

I have been playing around with coating lead bullets using Epoxy Powder Coat and 2 part Epoxy paint. So far I am using 2 Alpha Bullets .357 160 grain lead RN. Using lead with wax lube these are the loads and PF.

3.2 grains Vihtavouri N320 Seated 1.150 125 PF

3.2 grains Vihtavouri N320 Seated 1.175 128 PF

Both of those were lead and wax lube

3.2 grains Vihtavouri N320 Seated 1.150 134 PF (a little sticky on extraction)

3.2 grains Vihtavouri N320 Seated 1.160 132 PF

3.2 grains Vihtavouri N320 Seated 1.175 133 PF

These were all epoxy coated bullets with less smoke and cleaner gun.

All loads were shot through my 627 with the Short Colt Cylinder and .356 barrel with comp and poppel holes. All bullets sized .357.

3.9 grains Vihtavouri N330, 170 gr Billy Bullet moly coated. seated 1.220, 132 PF sized .358 shot out of same 627.

Two Alpha Bullets is starting to make coated bullets and even though he does not show the 160 RN he can make them for you. Just tell him Dean Gomez sent you. John is great to work with.

http://twoalphabullets.com/Supercoat%20Bullets.htm

That two alpha company uses the same coating as bayou, wonder if they can match the quality, their price is darn good too. I love the bayous bit if someone can match quality and beat price I'd make a switch especially with my current shooting schedule for 2014

Bayou and Two Alpha are both fine companies. If you're looking for coated bullets, you can't go wrong with either of those choices.

John at Two Alpha does an awful lot to support the practical shooting sports around here. Between the product he donates to the prize tables and the physical labor he contributes to the matches, he always seems to come through when we need him.

That two alpha company uses the same coating as bayou, wonder if they can match the quality, their price is darn good too. I love the bayous bit if someone can match quality and beat price I'd make a switch especially with my current shooting schedule for 2014

Give John a call I am sure he could send you a sample pack. All of his bullets are black and he coats them twice and they look real nice. I have not tried Bayou bullets but I would imagine quality in both of these brands would be equal.