Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 primer Kaboom causes?

I load over 30K per yr on one of my 1050's using Federal small pistol, been fortunate so far. However, I only use MATCH primers. Don't know if that is the key or not. I prefer them for other reasons.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one a few years back. Learned some newly made up adult language! Was 9mm, mixed range brass. CCI primers. Traced to a non-ejected spent primer. RULE - if it don't feel right STOP, clear the shell plate and figure out what's up. Some 9mm have VERY small flash holes and the primer de-caper may not hit them. I've gone to a LEE sizer (sorry Dillion) and that's stopped most of the non-de-caped cased from sneaking through in 9mm. Although I've still had a small flash hole grab the de-capping pin and pull the pin out of the de-capping rod - that will hose you up as well. Adjusting the swager to hit the primer pocket a little harder also helps with unknown range brass. I now run two 1050s one with large and the other small primer setups. Keeps adjustments to a minimum not having to keep changing the priming system in and out. I still HATE Sellier and Belleot (sp) cases. It takes a higher level of attention, and a slower rate to load 9mm unknown mixed range brass. I keep a pair of good tweezers handy and q-tips/pipe cleaners to clean the primer "dust" around at all times. The Dillion system is a safe system - all force was straight up. I was not hurt. The plastic primer push rod did stick in the ceiling and my ears rang a bit. Dillion was great replacing parts! I'll buy another 1050 soon. If you think that it cannot happen to you - well good luck with that. Your the one holding the handle.

Edited by Doc Hunter

I load over 30K per yr on one of my 1050's using Federal small pistol, been fortunate so far. However, I only use MATCH primers. Don't know if that is the key or not. I prefer them for other reasons.

Match primers, as I understand it, are more tightly controlled for QC purposes rather than safety issues.

The Dillion system is a safe system - all force was straight up. I was not hurt. The plastic primer push rod did stick in the ceiling and my ears rang a bit.

^ This. That is the one feature I love about Dillon presses. That primer shield can take a beating. Gary saw pictures where I bulged the shield and was impressed.

The inner aluminum sleeve for the magazine tube was slightly bowed, like a bad pool cue. The exploded primers blocked each end very very tightly. The blue plastic orifice that has the tab to index the sleeve in the magazine was totally gone, poof.

My follower rod did leave an imprint in the ceiling as well. it was also twisted up into a curly-q pigtail.

Definitely glad I wear glasses reloading.

I had this happen this past weekend for the first time... Mine was just a single primer, but man was it loud in the confined space of the garage!! Do some 40's have a crimped primer pocket? That's what it looked like when I took it out, but didn't know if those existed, or if maybe the old primer's cup edges were just leftover.

Zachvu, I've seen some primers pop the middle out leaving a ring inside the pocket, so yes that can happen. It is usually a case (old empty case) that has been wet and the moisture over time degrades the primer and it falls apart or causes a galvanic reaction causing the outer portion of the primer to fuse with the case pocket then only the middle punches out. If you feel excessive force at the swage station stop and see what's up. I learned the hard way.

Edited by Doc Hunter

zachvu,

Indeed some 40 S&W brass has crimped primer pockets. The US Coast Guard has adopted 40 S&W , and I know a bunch of Federal brass was made available with crimped pockets. Not sure what other manufacturers are filling contracts for the USCG.

Doc - Just saw your post as well. I don't remember what the pulls before that one felt like, but I'll make sure and watch for that as well. Thanks for all the good info, and for letting me threadjack a little bit!!

All my new parts installed. Everything cleaned and readjusted. Especially the swagging station as I saw I had lots of 9mm mil brass recently. With a little finesse and some time things are now working just fine.

Loaded 200 rounds of 9mm with no issues. 3.2 titegroup. 147gr xtreme plated. mixed range brass. federal spp. 1.150 oal. .376 crimp.

I did all of that and had detonations. On my press there was a rubber sleeve of something that came off the primer slide the last detonation. I threw it in the garbage and haven't had any problems since. Swaging the primer pocket does not resize the pocket. If you don't have an issue with Federal primers on your setup, awesome. I did and I will never use them again. I prefer CCI primers and they are also cheaper for me as an OEM than Federal primers.

I'm surprised your 1050 runs without the rubber bumper on the primer slide. Without it, the slide will be "jumping" quite a ways on most presses, which can cause problems if you don't go really slow.

Federal must have made a boat load of crimped 40 brass. Seems to show up at all the local ranges when I pick brass after a match. One good came out of it though. I bought a second 1050 set up for 40 so I wouldn't have to sort out the ones with crimped primer pockets. :goof:

Does this Federal brass have any identifying head stamp that would alert someone that the brass has crimped primers instead of having to inspect the primer pocket?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413212&highlight=coast+guard

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdayAmmo12407Ream.pdf

I did all of that and had detonations. On my press there was a rubber sleeve of something that came off the primer slide the last detonation. I threw it in the garbage and haven't had any problems since. Swaging the primer pocket does not resize the pocket. If you don't have an issue with Federal primers on your setup, awesome. I did and I will never use them again. I prefer CCI primers and they are also cheaper for me as an OEM than Federal primers.

I'm surprised your 1050 runs without the rubber bumper on the primer slide. Without it, the slide will be "jumping" quite a ways on most presses, which can cause problems if you don't go really slow.

Well now you jinxed me. The primer slide won't go all the way forward. :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

I lit off the whole stack in my 650 and we finally deduced that it was because i was loading while wearing leather house shoes and my bench is in my house on carpet. We think that static electricity built up and when i touched the primer tube, the static electricity set off the tube. Nothing else was wrong with the press and after some cleaning of my pants and the 650, i went back to loading. Now i always stand on rubber mats in front of the bench and ground myself on the bench itself before i start loading.

One of the guys i shoot with lit off his 1050 stack and it was a buildup of primers that did not get seated that were in the housing the primer bar slides through that finally built up enough that the backstroke lit one off causing the stack to go off. Federal primers don't help either. I switched to Winchester.

Does this Federal brass have any identifying head stamp that would alert someone that the brass has crimped primers instead of having to inspect the primer pocket?

Stamped "FEDERAL NT"

non-toxic

I had a friend in Sacramento that had small reloading business, had like 6 1050's and a couple 650's. He did the normal popular rounds plus about 5 odd ball rounds.

One day he was loading one of his 1050's with primers, the last primer didn't drop in fully. So like we all do he aligned it with his finger. He thinks he had built up a static charge because just as his finger neared the primer he heard a large explosion. The entire primer tube went off blowing off the most of his index finger and right thumb. A anvil from a primer went into his eye which after a month of trying to save he lost and had a glass eye.

He still ran his business years after the accident but always wore safety glasses whenever around the shop and was careful to ground himself.

I'm glad the OP was lucky and didn't get hurt, just scared himself. Maybe it's the reloading gods way of telling us all to be careful and think before we start reloading.

I have loaded in the multi millions. Never had one let off on a manual press (1050, 650, Star, Lee, etc.) only one was with the Camdex and had 500-800 primers in the vib bowl on top. Machine had a jam and went to clear it only to have my Dad want to help. Before I could tell him to not move the fly wheel, the jammed primmer went off with the rest of them. Thought the reloading room was all exploding, I think that day I would have beat Usain Bolt in the 100 yard dash. Still have hearing loss on the right ear from it. Always were safety glasses even on the lawn mower, I like having 2 eyes.

My Lord, I can't even picture setting off one primer in a 1050, much less the primer tube. Been loading progressive since late '70s and never had a primer go off, much less a primer tube. Well, come to think of it, I did have the last primer in tube on a Hornady L-N-L not drop into the primer shuttle. That primer then locked up the shuttle. I loosened the primer shield and the shuttle slammed forward and the primer was between the shuttle and the primer seater and the primer went bang. After that, I got a Dillon primer rod for use on the press. Hornady, later, started supplying a rod themselves with the press.

If Federals are that sensitive, I would think that Dillon would issue a warning.