Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using super light ammo under match conditions?

ambluemax

Ive been running across and hearing about super light shotshell loads off and on for a little while. I know Winchester AA has one and federal is coming out with another of these minimum dram target loads. Are any serious 3gunners using these at the big outlaw or pro series matches?

I'm intrigued for the same reason we all load our pistol ammo as close to pf as we can, I have no problem with recoil- but would less make me faster? I'm a big believer in the art of the shotgun and effectively utilizing options in choke and shells... of course the flip side is do they have enough snort to reliabily cycle an auto shotgun. I tried a small hand full of the AA version in by M2 but I'm not sure how they would work in improvised positions or with a less than perfectly cleaned and lubed gun.

So are they worth a try or did I just run out of things to look at in the big box gun store? Keeping in mind I'm the kind of guy who keeps super handicap / game loads on tap for applicable situations as well.

The only way to know for sure in your gun is to try the specific shell and see what happens.

I can tell you from past experience that the Winchester Featherweight (I think that is what they called a shell they made with less than 1 oz of shot running about 980 fps) would not cycle the action in a M2, SBE or 1100. Same results with some ¾ oz handloads I worked up for the kids to use in CAS. I have not tried any of these shell in a Versa Max. The Featherweight shells used in a O/U did a good job on clay targets and recoil was almost non-existent.

The AA 980 fps do run the VM. I shot some at a local match and tested out some poppers and decided they did not offer enough benefit. Lower pellet count and I had to get almost perfect hits on 18 yard poppers.

However, I ran the Remington low recoil STS all year. 1100 fps, 1 1/8 ounce and just as effective on poppers as standard loads. They pattern well too. They are different enough that my transitions were faster.

It would depend on the targets, assuming your gun would reliably run the shells. The angle iron targets used at the HeMan and the little bitty plates used at the ProAm would most likely be challenging for the small shot losd of the AA featherlights,especially at any distance. On clay targets, they should work good. I bought a box to try, they won't reliably cycle my M1.

Hurley

We use the angle iron targets to sorta simulate clays but at a fraction of the cost, they are easy to knock down just like clays are easy to break. The little steel at RC not so easy, espcially if they are presented with the tabs forward...

Nothing wrong with a us popper at 18-20 yards (or a few) put in the mix to keep things interesting thou. Or a tx star, or...a paddle wheel. :)

jj

Unless I was shooting nothing but clays. I don't really see the point. Healthy loads with plenty of shot and velocity give me comfort when trying to physically knock something over.

Maybe if I only weighted about 95 lbs.