Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NBA Brawl

BigDave

I'm not a NBA fan, but I happened to be flipping threw channels late last night and saw the brawl that ended the Indiana Pacers/Detriot Pistons game. I hated to see the fight because there could have been an alternative, like Artest simply not reacting.

However, what I've been reading in the sports press is what disturbs me more than the fight. They pontificate (thanks, Rhino), like this on yahoo.com

``This demonstrates why our players must not enter the stands, whatever the provocation or poisonous behavior of people attending the games,'' Stern said in his statement.

I'm sorry, but the Detriot "fans" crossed that line first. This old addage of "the guy who thows the second puch is they guy who gets caught" is for the birds, too. Artest, et al didn't take it to the stands, the Detroit fans invited it. And, don't give me this "well they are pros and they shouldn't do that" either. It is obvious to me that Detriot failed miserably with their crowd control and that is the realproblem. Detroit didn't deal adequately with their fans, so the players did what seemed necessary to them at the time. Should that go without consequence? No. But, let's look at the whole picture, folks.

Specators should do just that, spectate. :angry:

The Pacers have lost some of our best lineup because of this insanity, but the fans in Detroit will think twice before jumping on our guys next time!!!

Imagine the amount of viewers that will tune in to watch these two teams next match up,,,

The NBA may rant about the ' incivility' of this but they love this crap...

Let's just change the name of the sport to "basket-brawl"

Who would have thought b-ball would be the next major US sport to follow the UK tradition of the "football holigan"??!? I'll stick to less violent sports like shooting, thanks.

The Pacers have lost some of our best lineup because of this insanity, but the fans in Detroit will think twice before jumping on our guys next time!!!

Yeah that fan kind of screwed up. If it were me I would have charged Artest after he cleared the first line of seats.

If you bring the fight to them before they are ready for it, you'll win. ;)

In all seriousness though. If you are going to play professional sports, you need to understand that some of the fans are idiots. If you still feel the need to crush that fan that did something to you, look at his face, then wait for him out in the parking lot. What he did was crap, although I'm not sure I wouldn't react the same way. ;)

And, don't give me this "well they are pros and they shouldn't do that" either.

sorry, but they shouldnt. maybe artest (and the others) dont care about losing potentially millions of dollars in salary, but at a minimum, they should care that their team will be without them for many games. i guess that will free artest up to go out and promote his [c]rap album.

but then, i hate the nba, so i'm glad when they make themselves look like idiots.

and whats this crap about self defense? he got hit with a platic cup...did he think he was going to die if another one hit him? i have no idea how he figured out who threw the cup since he was on the laying on the table when it hit him, but it sure looked like he went after the smallest guy he could find in the stands.

Why just limit protests to the NBA...the attitudes and childish actions are rampant in most all professional sports...afterall, these guys are just playing a game, making millions of bucks...what do they know about civility and maturity....kind of like the three groups of people I dislike most: pro athletes, entertainers, and politicians.

I have to admit that once I heard about the brawl I was drawn to "see it for myself" -- morbid curiousity? sensationalization hunger? former big Pistons fan, I don't know for sure.

But, as I was watching it my 8-year old son walked in and watched it too. He just simply said, "That's really bad sportsmanship, isn't it Dad?"

It probably sums up one reason why this once-huge NBA fan is having a hard time following that sport anymore. I still think the NBA players represent the best athletes on the planet but, there has to be more to it than that.

No excuse for the fans doing what they did, no excuse for the professionals responding like they did. Apparently, Artest singled out the wrong guy too -- I wouldn't want to be on his end of the civil lawsuit if that proves to be the case.

The NBA (like any place) needs to provide an environment that is safe for their workers. They shouldn't be assaulted by the spectators.

Ask yourselves how you would react if a bunch of punks threw their cups of beer in your face. Turn the other cheek? Well...I have a chair for that cheek.

"Fans" that throw stuff at players rank right there with cowardly terrorist in my book.

Flex

maybe you are right, but you can only control what you do, not what the other guy does..I have had worse that that happen to me without retaliation and I don't come anywhere near making the money the players do....

How about they grow up a little and learn some self control.... ;)

...somewhat like the Japanese Parliament or something...<_<

Nah, the Japanese Diet members are just occasionally corrupt (when they're caught, they usually just off themselves).

You're probably thinking of the Taiwanese legislature; they're the folks that like to fight a lot.

you can only control what you do, not what the other guy does..I have had worse that that happen to me without retaliation and I don't come anywhere near making the money the players do....

How about they grow up a little and learn some self control.... ;)

A-f@#$ing-men.

"Fans" that throw stuff at players rank right there with cowardly terrorist in my book.

But assaulting a fan even though you have no idea who threw it is far worse. I really hope they get sued for tons of money. That is the only way that those overgrown babies learn is when it hits their pocketbook.

I'm thinking that the European soccer resolution should be applied: Detroit needs to play it's next couple of home games in an empty building --- na audience allowed. That should send a message to management (refund $) and spectators alike that this kind of behavior is uncalled for.

As far as the players are concerned --- you might be ticked off when someone throws a beer or soda at you --- but it doesn't give you license to go after the thrower if you have other options for extricating yourself from the situation. And it really doesn't give you license for going after anyone else......

ron artest: suspended remainder of the season. :lol::lol::lol:

perhaps he should have "turned the other cheek."

According to AP, the suspensions are "without pay. The story states, "Artest will lose approximately $5 million in salary, while O'Neal's suspension will cost him nearly 25 percent of his $14.8 million salary for the current season."

As was also stated here, I suspect the criminal and civil charges are right around the corner.