Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun for 3 gun

ClutchUSMC

I am looking at making the jump to OPEN for next season. I'm going to give it a shot in 3-4 smaller upcoming matches this month with my 6in 9mm 2011 iron sighted gun.

I am open gun illiterate, having only owned one for about 6 weeks, and only shooting maybe 50 rounds through it.

However, my initial thought is something like the Steel Master... I shoot about 140pf 147gr 9mm now and would love to be able to use the same load, or at least bullets, as I have 15k+ of them. But I am open to any and all suggestions as long as its 2011 based and 9mm.

What do you guys use? Or think is ideal? For an open 3gun blaster.

For open light fast bullets with a slow burning powder work better than heavy bullets. Even for 3 gun look at loading to major as my gun shoots flatter and softer with major than it will with minor. A 90 degree mount is nice if your transferring over and switch between irons and red dot as the gun indexes like irons with a 90 degree mount

Edited by EkuJustice

i would really think about something easy like an M&P or block with an RMR or similar mounted to it. Seems like it would be an easier transition from irons, and 3 gun pistols take abuse both in and out of the holster. I wouldn't want a fancy race holster to deal with, just kydex and something drop-and-go gun wise.

I would try to trade or sell those 147s and get some 124/115 bullets. They shoot flatter and will help with follow-up shots. However, one year I did run about 3K of 147 through my Open gun since that was the only thing available and I had a decent load with it and PP. It wasn't that bad but once I really got use to the 124 then the 115s again, I noticed a big difference. I wouldn't shoot a 147 unless I was in the same situation again.

And if you going to go minor PF, go with really light bullets (~95 grains) and speed them up, they feel like a .22 and still shoot relatively flat. If not, stay around the major PF to work the comp better.

Hello: A 9mm STI Tru Bor would be perfect for 3-gun with a DAA holster. You have the mags already and load for 9mm. We have a guy here who shoots open with 147 grain bullets since it knocks down heavy set steel. A 90 degree mount helps protect the C-More a little better and the DAA holster locks up great. I wish Blade Tech or Comp Tac would make a Kydex holster for an Open pistol with a strap. Thanks, Eric

I have an infinity 9mm with a sight tracker barrel with 5 big holes and a deltapoint mounted on the slide. It fits my same holster as my tac ops gun. Plenty flat enough and very fast. If there were a good open shotgun option, I would go back to open. Oh well.....

My wife has an STI steel master, thats gun she will be running in 3 gun..There is a guy in our area who builds awesome holsters and is making a kydex/w adjustable retention system for it..Her gun has a 90 deg mount and a *thumb rest [generic]*. Will have pics when he is done!

My wife has an STI steel master, thats gun she will be running in 3 gun..There is a guy in our area who builds awesome holsters and is making a kydex/w adjustable retention system for it..Her gun has a 90 deg mount and a *thumb rest [generic]*. Will have pics when he is done!

A lot of us would be interested in seeing that. COM also makes custom Open Kydex holsters and I've read good reviews on them also.

To the OP, what holster (if any) do you have for your Open gun?

Tyler,

At BRM3G I was able to hit all of the handgun steel that was in the bright sun just fine. I sure had more trouble when it was cloudy, rainy, or in the woods. Something about old age and vision from what I understand. I am seriously thinking about Open as well just so that I can have something that I can see on my shotgun and pistol. Those blurry little bumps at the end of the barrel didn't do me a whole lot of good, and point shooting at 50 - 60 yrd 1/2 size IPSC steel wasn't the most efficient way of running Stage #5 and Stage #6

I will monitor your thread to see what options come up.