Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Skylight" for Dillon 550 or 650?

jayjay1

I do use a little lamp to til now, but this one seems to be very bright - and - it is out of the way.

Either you have your head above the case, to look if powder is inside, or there is the lamp.

With this one, right in the middle of the toolhead, I hoped to solve this.

I use this light: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169636/

I has proved to be invaluable for other work where you need extra light w/o needing an extra hand. $15

Later,

Chuck

I use the same lamp for my press. I also use two of them on my Bridgeport mill. I put a couple on magnets, replacing the heavy base, so I can move them from my lathe to my belt sander and other places. The switches are a bit cheesy though.

Pat

Used an electrical conduit clamp to secure a flashlight I already had to the bullet seating die on my 550. On the 650, the toolhead

Has a small hole meant for the powder check die. I found a little keychain flashlight in a bag of schwag from a major IDPA match. It fits that hole perfectly.

The downside to this is it sits in the tool head, and as someone posted a while back, if you forget to remove it before removing the tool head (like to dump out your powder), one of two things is likely to happen. Either you're going to break the wires loose from the light, or the wire is going to act like a short leash, and you're going to spill powder all over the bench when it abruptly stops the tool head from moving away from the press.

The LED strips mounted on the press work really well and avoid this issue. Inline sells those. If you're handy, and have some of the necessary parts on-hand, you can build your own for cheap lunch money and have lots of LED strip left over for other projects.

The small Tensor gooseneck desk lamp I have works well enough for me. I do like the idea of the Skylight, but the biggest issue I have with lighting is trying to see that a primer has successfully made it into the primer slide and cup. This product doesn't appear to help there.

The small Tensor gooseneck desk lamp I have works well enough for me. I do like the idea of the Skylight, but the biggest issue I have with lighting is trying to see that a primer has successfully made it into the primer slide and cup. This product doesn't appear to help there.

I kind of doubt that the tool head center hole mounted light helps with viewing the primer slide/cup...but if you mount strips of LEDs next to the tool head and on the vertical portion of the press facing the shell plate, those lower LEDs light up the primer slide/cup very nicely.