Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dilon XL 650 retaining screw on shaft (Help Im losing my mind)

I have two brand new 650's with the same problem. I took the screw out to replace the shell plate and it will not go back in. I thought maybe it was the machine so I tried it on another brand new 650 same problem. What am I doing wrong? I can get it in there a little then it just stops I do not want to force it because maybe it isn't going in the correct way. I tried a little wd-40 with no luck. attached is a pic. The pic is bad because I had to reduce the file size.

post-50162-0-22553600-1381619204_thumb.g

I have two brand new 650's with the same problem. I took the screw out to replace the shell plate and it will not go back in. I thought maybe it was the machine so I tried it on another brand new 650 same problem. What am I doing wrong? I can get it in there a little then it just stops I do not want to force it because maybe it isn't going in the correct way. I tried a little wd-40 with no luck. attached is a pic. The pic is bad because I had to reduce the file size.

keep messing with it. It should go right back in. Next time just loosen it about a turn and leave it in there. It doesn't have to come out

I don't have a 650 but the screw should be the same principle as a 550.Not sure what they call that piece hanging down on the ram, but it looks very close to the hole for the screw and may be keeping you from going in straight. Get a clear,straight on position and the screw should easily thread in. Use a long Allen wrench and not your fingers.Don't get frustrated.

The way my bench is set up that hole is a bit of a shadow. There has been many times I have used a flaslight to find it and get a straight line of sight. Make sure your using the right size of wrench and pull out just enough to loosen it. Then re tighten when everything is back together .

I don't have a 650 but the screw should be the same principle as a 550.Not sure what they call that piece hanging down on the ram, but it looks very close to the hole for the screw and may be keeping you from going in straight. Get a clear,straight on position and the screw should easily thread in. Use a long Allen wrench and not your fingers.Don't get frustrated.

As Youngeyes said, the cam appears to be obsuring part of the hole, which would not allow you to get a straight shot at the threads. There should be a little play in the cam so you can push it out of the way and then get a straight shot.

That set screw begs the operator be gentle, as most screws on Dillion's components do. I learned early that certain things didn't require 100% disassembly to be adjusted. Some tend to over tighten every screw on the machine. Over the years Dillon has replaced many stripped parts for me at no charge, even when taking full responsibility for my stupidity. But you learn. And Dillon thankfully makes these lessons as inexpensive as possible.

The OP didn't have a shot because he removed the screw. Sometimes I look at a screw and think it must be removed, but this is one that must or at least should stay put. Okay, the horse is out of the barn and the screw is removed. I'd bet there was bad lighting and he fought the angle of approach to the hole. The thread in the ram is stripped or goobered up, at least it looks that way. I can't fault him for pulling the set screw all of the way out, he just may have not known. If the ram is scarred, I'd get a new one and not play with it. I'd buy my self a long t-handle Allen wrench. It only takes a turn or so of the screw to loosen up the shell plate bolt - leave the screw in. And no need to bear down on it when tightening her back up, remember its purpose. Take two aspirin and call Dillon in the morning. This qualifies for a Holy Grail award, this was a twofer. Been a few of them today. When things don't go well on certain sessions, I move over to my single stage, throw in a decapping die, grab a bunch of 223 and knock out some spent primers. I figure I can't get into too much trouble, unless of course I bend a decapping pin. And that's not such a bad thing, especially when you're using the inexpensive a Lee die, heck I think they're $10-12 bucks.

Dog

I've learned the hard way on many projects that if something that should be simple isn't working, take a look at it with fresh eyes. Using a drill to force a screw is how you strip threads, then make the project take longer, make it more expensive, need extra trips to the hardware store, create idiot marks, etc. Glad it worked though.... :roflol:

edit to add: I'm not going to go and take the screw all the way out of my 650 to see if i'll have the same problem.

Edited by ztarget

A ball tipped T handle driver is the way to go here. It's got a long enough reach and the ball end allows the set screw to find center. With a socket head set screw like this it's all about alignment. Usually a slight turn in the CCW direction befor going CW will allow the screw to align. If it came out easy, it should have gone in the same....