Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable 1911?

Naka16

Used is the way to go. Scour the birds for a good deal. They come up regularly or post a wtb ad. For the price you stated look for a used springer Mil spec or a norinco. Rocks are not bad either. The Philippine guns are all made in same plant.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe the Metro Arms products (American Classic, MAC1911, SPS, etc.) are manufactured by a completely different company in a completely different facility from the Armscor products (Armscor, Charles Daly, Rock Island, etc.).

I just ended up with a used Taurus 1911 through some trading. I think I'll run it a while and see how it does... will let you know.

I'm curious how it will turn out for you. I'm very new to the world of 1911 pistols myself and I'm learning as much as I can about them while preparing to move from USPSA Production to Single Stack. The purely anecdotal evidence that I have come up with is that people who are using Taurus 1911s for USPSA Single Stack really seem to like them from a reliability perspective. I've seen plenty of 1911 pistols throw up on their shoes at USPSA matches and I tend to ask those who don't have any problems what they are shooting. That's led to at least one conversation with a Taurus owner who really seemed please with what he was shooting.

Now what I don't have any idea is how much work has gone into them. It seems pretty standard that most people are at least doing some sort of trigger job for their 1911 pistols for USPSA and I don't know what else.

+1 on the Taurus, the ones I've used and felt have been great. Excellent fitment and trigger for the price. Throw in a $35 extractor that fits and it should be GTG...

That all being said, I bought a used steel frame P16-40 for $500. The extractor hook just broke off after about 4000 rounds in addition to what was already on it. Besides that, no issues.

Edited by Whoops!

Will most likely look towards getting something now since the wife just got a good job and don't want to make the move. Will any brand of single stack mags work reliably with the entry level STI?

Edited by Naka16

Your best bets for 9mm mags are going to be:

- Metalform "Springfield" style

- Tripp cobra mags

- Wilson ETM* (note, these rode high enough to hit my ejector, so I had to sell all of mine, but not an issue for everyone)

- someone said the Dawson mags were good, but I haven't used them

Stay away from anything not on this list.

I had hoped to shoot the Taurus at this weekends match but hadn't managed to find time to get to the range with it so I didn't. But I did take it out after the match and run a dozen rounds through it. Nice trigger and no malfunctions but I felt like it was hitting low. Will have to spend more time with it. Will keep you updated.

• 3 weeks later...

RIA now has the tactical II model in a 40 cal. I was going back and forth between the 9mm and 40 cal and decided on the 9mm for SS. I have a couple of xDM's in 40 cal already to shoot prod, lim 10 or limited with. That is why I decided to go with the 9mm. I will be picking it up today or tomorrow so I don't have any reviews for it yet. Cost me $552 plus tax and seems like it will be a nice gun. I found a lot of reviews for the new tactical II and the reviewers really seemed to like it.

Chris

I had a Taurus PT1911 and it ran fine. The only problem I had with it is for some reason my pattern was always 4 inches low. Sent it back and they installed a new front sight (lower sight) and it was better but not what I had hoped. I'm not bashing on them and would probably try another one. It may have been me, but I ended up trading it out for a shotgun. Kinda wish I wouldn't have now. I've been looking at rocks, armscor and Para GI Experts. The Paras are a little over $500 but look like good guns. For what you are looking for they should fit the bill.

I'm also in the market for a single stack 1911 (other than GSG 1911-22) and my brother happened across a Norinco 1911 in .45 ACP which is the caliber I want. Price was $400. I have no knowledge of the Norinco brand. Not that it really matters but I used to shoot limited with an STI Edge in .40 so I do have some experience with the a 1911 wide body.

Never knew that Norinco made handguns. I do have a nice mak90 though.

It's my last two weeks on the job, and got a new job already lined up(but pays less=no toys for a while) so I bit the bullet and ordered a Para pro comp .40 ss. Will have to wait 2 weeks to pick it up because of the Hawaii permit deal. I figured I would spend more on a .40 so at least it keeps me from having to buy new reloading stuff for a 45. It should even out in 10 years :)

Everyone's definition of affordable is different.

ALL SUB $500 1911s ARE JUNK

I don't think they are all junk, but they are made by manufacturers who regularly ship junk and you don't know what you are going to get.

I think on a 1911 you get more for your money stepping up to a better one (about $1000) like an STI trojan which is close to hand fitted, not slapped together. The STI Spartan is a mass made gun for about $700, but I have yet to read a bad report on one.

Cheap guns are where you pay your money and take your chances.

Anybody have any experience or feedback on the Iver Johnson 1911's?

Seen them advertised in the gun magazines, but have no hands on experience myself. Seems to have all the nice bells and whistles and might make a lower cost starter or project gun. Would like to know if they are worth having a look at?

A good friend of mine collects and builds high-end 1911s. When I showed him my American Classic he just said "Aw shit."

In the context of the conversation, it was a high compliment to the AC pistol.

Thanks for the feedback. I will save my pennies and invest in a better quality 1911 from the start.

I am in the process of building a 'Rock' 10mm...I can say that all the haterade for Rock Island comes from people who haven't handled/fired/worked on them and will happily spend someone else's money for them on a 'reputable' brand...after handling and firing a cross section of Colts Kimbers and an Ed Brown I can say 'yes...there is a difference' but most of it is simply non-conducive to an entry-level need...

The RIA I picked up wasn't/isn't perfect--but with a quick trip to Brownells for $20 in springs and a few hours with the polishing wheel/800 grit sandpaper it ran 550 rounds without a hiccup--can't say the same about Dad's "reputable" Kimber! Next Month it is going to the local 'smith to have a .40 Bull Barrel fitted which will increase flexibility for reloads and allow me to run it in IDPA without losing expensive 10mm Starline Brass...

10mm RIA 1911--$500ish

Tuning Parts from Brownells--$20ish

.40 Barrel and 'Smith Fitting-$150

Having a Multi-caliber 1911 that runs,in a brand I can Afford--priceless

Save the brand-whoring for the HK crowd!

My RIA is an officers size. About 5 years old now. Around 10k or so through it. Other than standard maint, never a problem. It hates wad cutters, but has never not fed ball ammo. Never. Best "cheap" gun I have ever purchased.

My first 1911 was a Springfield I got in pieces in a coffee can for fifty bucks. I still have it thousands of rounds later. Go used and be patient and you end up with thousand dollar quality for under five bills 8 )

For what little my opinion is worth I had an RIA and had the slide flat topped. The gunsmith said he hit three very different levels of hardness in one pass across the slide.

If you watch closely you will run across a really good used one for your budget.