Ammo accuracy possible causes

Nimitz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"unloaded new bullets:

.353, .352, . 354, .354, .355"

If these are accurate measurements....I think you found your problem.

Also, I'm in the "too much crimp" camp also. I use plated on occasion and when pulled they do not have a ring like that at all.

Edited by Bamboo

Well, I can't do much about the bullets as they come from the manufacturer and they performed well out of Ben's gun. However, I will reduce the crim until here is no mark on them and see what that does for accuracy ...

If you are using the Lee FCD that could be contributing to your accuracy issue as it under sizes the bullet. However, with the measurements you have I seriously don't see much chance there is any consistency velocity or accuracy and would speculate that gasses escaping around the smaller diameter bullets would cause premature barrel failure, negating any potential savings.

After looking at the new bullet dimensions I'd think that perhaps Ben's gun has tighter barrel dimensions than yours does.

My suggestion would be to find a bullet mfr who has more uniform bullets, preferably at least one thousandth over your barrel diameter. You could even slug your barrel and find out what the actual dimension is.

Well, hopefully it is my gun and not the ammo per se since my new CZ Shadow arrives in less than a month ... I also have a friend who uses my bullets in his Sig and he loves them. He shoots a weekly semi bullseye event and has no accuracy issues, scoring 97+/100 every week ...

most likely your new CZ will have a .356 barrel dimensions, if so you will have to find other bullets! your friends sig might have a tight barrel, that is why it shoots the under sized bullets well. your "pulled bullets: .351, .350, . 352, .352" will be to small in diameter for your CZ. Don't wait until your CZ comes in to fix the problem. I have sluged the barrel of my CZ 85 combat, SP01 shadow & P01 all have a .356 bore.

Edited by CZ85Combat

I here what you are saying but I am going to try a couple of things first to see if I can get acceptable accuracy without changing bullets. Depending on the results I may have to switch to a different bullet for match ammo like I had before and just live with having 2 loads. A case of MG 124 JHPs goes a long way when you only need 200 a month. Since I use 25,000/yr for practice I really want to keep the Xtremes if possible for economic reasons ...

First I'll try reducing the crimp and then bumping the load a bit and see if any of those make a difference.

Anyone slug the KKM barrel for a G34 and know what it is? I'm curious how it compares to the .356 bore of the CZ?

I crimp at .378 and no reduction/swaging of the bases with Berry's which have a thinner plating than extremes. If you stay with Xtremes, next batch, if available order .357 or .356 bullets instead of the standard .355

my numbers looked odd after seeing your post so I rechecked everything and here's what they really are:

unloaded new bullets:

.353, .352, . 354, .354, .355

pulled bullets:

.351, .350, . 352, .352

Interesting thread.

By your own measurements the bullets are undersize which will affect accuracy. Why not just slug your barrel and answer that question before changing the crimp diameter, changing the OAL and making trips to the range to retest.

Obviously you are welcome to do what you wish and I am in no way trying to be confrontational but why take the long way around in your effort to discover your problem.

Pat

Pat: I appreciate your comments. I watched a couple of videos so now I know how to slug a barrel but where can I get some lead balls that will fit in a 9mm barrel?

Once accomplished should I be looking at bullets that are the same diameter of my barrel or .001 larger?

I measure the bullet in the case 9mm is usually .380. Subtract two to four thousands and set crimp.

.378 works well in 9mm minor. To much crimp accuracy suffers. First stage sizing die holds the bullet. Crimp lets it go into the chamber easier.

Finally managed to make a few rds with an adjusted crimp so that when I pulled the bullet there was no mark on them. Haven't been able to get to the range to test them due to my wrist problem unfortunately.

A friend of mine is going to slug my barrel tonight and he shoots in a weekly bullseye league so maybe i'll give him my gun and these new loads to see what he comes up with ....

So my barrel came in at .352 which I assume means my bullets aren't the issue, right? My friend won't be able to test my news loads until next week but hopefully the improved crimp and powder charge at 4.5g will do the trick ...

Are you measuring from the groove or land impressions on your slug?

.352 seems awfully small for a 9mm barrel.

I'd slug it again if that is what you are getting from the groove impressions.

I've tried WST in xtreme bullets and they were very accurate for me in my stock Glock 34 barrel.

Pictured below is a 5 shot group of xtreme 147gr bullets at 7 yards. i think the key is the not to over crimp...my crimp is .377-.378

2013-09-23203526_zps1d9b41d4.jpg