Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tennis elbow from dry fire practice?

3djedi

i just started shooting this year and started dry firing a lot. I started having the same issue - from dry firing. I havent shot in two weeks or dry fired….well I did go to and win a match tuesday night (my first time winning an IDPA match) but it still hurts so have to let it heal. Unfortunately - it is called tendonitis - but there is no actual swelling so ice and ibuprofen will not help….

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue . prescription Naproxen and a brace that you wear on your forearm just below your elbow. You can find them at any drug store. You will not have to wear it all the time but wearing it during dry fire will help a lot.

I'm only 27 and i have this too. I do a lot of dry fire and have a habit of locking my arms out which is probably causing it. I just need to remember to keep more of a bend in the elbow and less tension and it'll probably clear up soon.

Strange thing is my elbow pain gets worse when I use the elastic bands!! Maybe the "off" season will help.

Me too!! I thought I was gonna do some good with those, but finally stopped. It's better if I just go shoot, then ice.

I honestly think there must be different kinds of tennis elbow/tendonitis/etc. I've had it in my right arm (from actually playing tennis) and my left arm recently. I think it's a different kind of pain.

Strange thing is my elbow pain gets worse when I use the elastic bands!! Maybe the "off" season will help.

Me too!! I thought I was gonna do some good with those, but finally stopped. It's better if I just go shoot, then ice.

I honestly think there must be different kinds of tennis elbow/tendonitis/etc. I've had it in my right arm (from actually playing tennis) and my left arm recently. I think it's a different kind of pain.

That's from switching hands Dave :roflol:

That's from switching hands Dave :roflol:

Hey I noticed you shot left handed last season! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny. I was dealing with pain and finally decided to start working out to build up strength in my arms and improve my agility. It definitely helped my pain, but more importantly I got off my butt and I started taking care of myself. I feel like a new man.

I also do the palm down curls and an exercise where you have a 12"x1-1/2" piece of PVC pipe with a 6ft rope going through the middle. I connect the other end of the rope to the cable and pulley on one of the machines and set it at the lowest weight. You just raise the weight by reeling it backwards and then reverse and raise it by reeling it forward. Do this three times, three days a week and your arms will either fall off or make you look like Popeye the sailor man. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/get-that-popeye-forearms

Still working on that agility thing.... Please send me a message if you have any suggestions. :)

I struggled with it for 18 months, but refused to have it injected. There is conflicting data on whether that does more harm than good. But the TheraBar had mine better in just a few weeks. Best $15 I ever spent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA_MmAS5ws

^^^^^^^^This works. I got TE from playing tennis. Go figure. Had an Orthopedic Surgeon recommend the Flexbar. Bought one from Amazon and it works. Use it while watching TV. The Green version is medium tension, I think.

Yeah, the Flexbar looks like it may work.

When I first started I was dry firing several times a day. I would just walk in the room, pick up the gun, and spend a few minutes gripping the gun very hard. Now when I go to the gym I do about 30 minutes on the elliptical, then when I get to the weights I'm all warmed up. It really seems to make a big difference. Now when I go in and do a short intense dry fire I notice that my arms (particularly the weak side) really feel the burn, but now that I've been working out it doesn't seem to turn into long term pain. When I start a longer practice I do jumping jacks to get my blood flowing. I just have to make sure nobody is looking when I'm at the range... Maybe there is a reason that every athlete in the world warms up before before they hit the field. Maybe we're athletes too... Cool...

Hurt mine at work but my dryfire regiment was actually making it a lot worse. I gave it over 6 weeks of rest with no improvement, stretched and worked out without much improvement. Then I started taking a daily dose of Aleve along with glucosamine (supposed to support joint health) and it was almost immediately effective for relieving the pain. Now I'm just trying to be careful to not over due it and trying to increase strength so I don't reinjure.

I have fought this for years. Here is what cured it for me.

1. Quit reloading. Bought blazer..

2. Played weak handed racketball for 1.5 years.

3. Exercised opening my hand with rubberbands for months.

Should have quit riding dirt bikes but I can't, so that slowed recovery. Anyway I'm better today, back to strong hand racketball. Still limiting the reloading to be sure. Still playing the 3 gun game at 49 but it takes some modifications in behavior. Also need to go to the gym every day too just to maintain. Bummer.

I got it pretty bad about 3 years ago, from dryfiring. I got shots, wore a brace, it helped but it didn't fix it.

I finally got into physical therapy, reverse curls with a band and some intense massage (intense means it hurt like a mofo)

After several months of PT, it got better. I was able to quit wearing the arm band. I still do exercises most every day.

You can still over do the dryfiring and cause this to happen. We all want to be really good at this sport and they all tell us that dryfire is the way to accomplish that.

They don't tell you you can screw your elbow/arm up so bad it takes 18 months to heal and its really easy to reinjure.

I had/have it bad from riding motorcycles, shooting, pull-ups, and basically everything else that requires grip strength.

I used a few braces and I've had the best luck with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/MedSpec-EpiGel-Tennis-Elbow-Support/dp/B002SIQH7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390269791&sr=8-1&keywords=Medspec+epigel

I found it to the the most effective when I use it even when I don't think I need to. Meaning after I think it's healed I keep using it for a few weeks and the effects seem to last a while until I over use it without the brace. I wore it during USPSA events all last season and now use it when I train.

Got it at the end of last season BAD, didn't touch my pistols till last week. 3 month off and it seems to have subsided but felt it flaring up when loading ammo on my 650 from placing the bullet.

Good reason to finally buy a Mr. Bullet feeder. Between that and the stretching with physio I'm hoping to last the summer.

Unfortunately working as a millwright didn't allow total rest but the shooting was the major cause of it.

Edited by Red magnum

I will share my experiences with this. I've suffered with tendonitis in my hands wrists and elbows for some time. Based on my personal experience and research I believe that the answer is almost always strength training. If you're only working out your hands, you are creating mismatched strength that can lead to weird issues further up your arm. Think about how our bodies are designed. "Back in the day" if you had strong hands it was from hanging from tree branches, climbing and pulling your body weight around. There are few naturally occuring situations in which you would develop hand strength independent from arm strength.

Push-ups, dips and pullups will together work to give you whole-body strength that actually compliments, rather than works against your grip strength.

Also, in any of these exercises, NEVER lock your elbows. That goes for shooting as well. You don't want recoil smacking into a locked joint. It would be like jumping out of your second story window and landing with your knees locked...ouch.

I highly recommend these suckers to improve your grip and armstrength. If you can knock out 10 pull-ups with these on the bar you win at life in my opinion.

Fat Gripz: http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Gripz-The-Ultimate-Builder/dp/B005FIS14Y

Edited by collards