Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tennis elbow from dry fire practice?

3djedi

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggled with it for 18 months, but refused to have it injected. There is conflicting data on whether that does more harm than good. But the TheraBar had mine better in just a few weeks. Best $15 I ever spent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA_MmAS5ws

I'll second this.

I had an extremely bad case of tennis elbow in my left hand from a combination of 15k miles a year on my motorcycle, an increase in my shooting training, and an increase in the amount of typing I had to do at work. I couldn't pick up a bottle of soda if my arm was extended too far.

A combination of a red Thera-band Flexbar (I believe the exercise is called a Tyler Twist), a Dyna-Flex gyroscopic exerciser, and an ergo keyboard at work slowly got me back to 100%. The pain was at its worst in January of last year. By May I could shoot without the forearm brace, and by July I could shoot lefty without it. Now I keep a green Flex-bar at my desk and do it a couple of times a week as preventative medicine.

Whenever I see anyone wearing a tennis elbow arm band, I share this with them. The following year, I'll have a bunch of people walk up to thank me. It really is that reliable, and the exercise equipment isn't expensive at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second this.

I had an extremely bad case of tennis elbow in my left hand from a combination of 15k miles a year on my motorcycle, an increase in my shooting training, and an increase in the amount of typing I had to do at work. I couldn't pick up a bottle of soda if my arm was extended too far.

A combination of a red Thera-band Flexbar (I believe the exercise is called a Tyler Twist), a Dyna-Flex gyroscopic exerciser, and an ergo keyboard at work slowly got me back to 100%. The pain was at its worst in January of last year. By May I could shoot without the forearm brace, and by July I could shoot lefty without it. Now I keep a green Flex-bar at my desk and do it a couple of times a week as preventative medicine.

Whenever I see anyone wearing a tennis elbow arm band, I share this with them. The following year, I'll have a bunch of people walk up to thank me. It really is that reliable, and the exercise equipment isn't expensive at all.

I'm already using the Thera-Band Flexbar... Could you expand on the Dyna-Flex gyroscopic exerciser?

Which one did you get? How often do you use it... How many reps... That kind of thing...

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second this.

I'm already using the Thera-Band Flexbar... Could you expand on the Dyna-Flex gyroscopic exerciser?

Which one did you get? How often do you use it... How many reps... That kind of thing...

Thanks...

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Sports-Plus-Wrist-Exerciser/dp/B000LRE01M

But there are a bunch of different brands of the same thing floating around out there. As for frequency, when I was having problems, I'd use it twice daily. I'd get it going, and swap hands whenever I got tired and then stopped after a few cycles of that. Now I just keep it at my desk at work and use it maybe a couple of times a week.

Not sure if any has said this previously

I have the same problem and I bought a band with velcro on it for tennis elbow. It helps a lot and my tendons are starting to heal.

Ice first then warm. If you can do this a few times a day it will help

Advil also helps

Sure would be nice to not get old

Mark

Good to know that I now have another use for my therabar which is primarily used to roll out my arches. I get bouts of tennis elbow. The DR prescribes volteran and an elbow brace. The brace works wonders well its just an ACE tennis elbow brace that straps on just below the elbow.

• 2 months later...

It's funny. I was dealing with pain and finally decided to start working out to build up strength in my arms and improve my agility. It definitely helped my pain, but more importantly I got off my butt and I started taking care of myself. I feel like a new man.

I also do the palm down curls and an exercise where you have a 12"x1-1/2" piece of PVC pipe with a 6ft rope going through the middle. I connect the other end of the rope to the cable and pulley on one of the machines and set it at the lowest weight. You just raise the weight by reeling it backwards and then reverse and raise it by reeling it forward. Do this three times, three days a week and your arms will either fall off or make you look like Popeye the sailor man. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/get-that-popeye-forearms

Still working on that agility thing.... Please send me a message if you have any suggestions. :)

Just thought I should write an update/correction.

My arm pain is still there. I finally found some helpful info including an article on WebMD http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/tennis-elbow. I followed the info on warm up excersises and it seems to make a difference. Imagine that, every athlete in the world does it. Duh! Also started icing, and using an elbow strap. Lastly I gave up the idea of strengthening my way out of this problem. It's an over use injury, so using it more didn't help. Another Duh!

Everything together seems to be helping and I'm able to start using my full grip strength again. If I can keep the pain under control I'll try the strength excersises again and hopefully I can get back into daily dry fire practice. :)

Edited by Just4FunLP

It's funny. I was dealing with pain and finally decided to start working out to build up strength in my arms and improve my agility. It definitely helped my pain, but more importantly I got off my butt and I started taking care of myself. I feel like a new man.

I also do the palm down curls and an exercise where you have a 12"x1-1/2" piece of PVC pipe with a 6ft rope going through the middle. I connect the other end of the rope to the cable and pulley on one of the machines and set it at the lowest weight. You just raise the weight by reeling it backwards and then reverse and raise it by reeling it forward. Do this three times, three days a week and your arms will either fall off or make you look like Popeye the sailor man. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/get-that-popeye-forearms

Still working on that agility thing.... Please send me a message if you have any suggestions. :)

My arm pain is still there. I finally found some helpful info including an article on WebMD http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/tennis-elbow. I followed the info on warm up excersises and it seems to make a difference. Imagine that, every athlete in the world does it. Duh! Also started icing, and using an elbow strap. Lastly I gave up the idea of strengthening my way out of this problem. It's an over use injury, so using it more didn't help. Another Duh!

There's a REALLY old joke:

Hey, doc! My arm hurts whenever I do this......

Doctor: Then stop doing that.

• 5 months later...

Everything together seems to be helping and I'm able to start using my full grip strength again. If I can keep the pain under control I'll try the strength excersises again and hopefully I can get back into daily dry fire practice. :)

Just an update. My pain is under control. Doing a fare amount of dry fire and 500 round practice sessions on Saturdays and they can get pretty sore. I need a day of rest after doing this. I'm going to my first big match next month so I plan to add five 100 round practices a week. We'll see how that works out. I've learned to be very careful with the arm excersises at the gym. My poor arms are doing everything they can just to do dry fire and live fire. Is this normal for a 51 year old?

Just an update. My pain is under control. Doing a fare amount of dry fire and 500 round practice sessions on Saturdays and they can get pretty sore. I need a day of rest after doing this. I'm going to my first big match next month so I plan to add five 100 round practices a week. We'll see how that works out. I've learned to be very careful with the arm excersises at the gym. My poor arms are doing everything they can just to do dry fire and live fire. Is this normal for a 51 year old?

probably not that unusual. I'm 53, and I've had some issues with elbow pain (strong hand) since I started shooting. bad chad's PT exercises have helped me alot. So has using both hands on the downstroke of my reloading press. One of the biggest causes for me tho is sleeping with my right hand under my head when sleeping on my right side.

I still find that once every month or so I'll have a day where taking an advil in the morning helps.

• 1 month later...

Tennis Elbow is so misunderstood that it is almost unbelievable. Look how many of us suffer from it, yet almost ALL the professional advice and treatment is WRONG and completely ineffective, barely even addressing symptoms let alone a cure or prevention. Worse, the standard advice and approach can actually prevent healing (icing for example). Do I have your curiosity?

Well I just went thru a new bout of it after doing some intense 1 second reload drills in Mesa in December. Releasing the mag button 40 times in a row in a 20 minute period of 1 shot-reload-1 shot with my Limited gun put me over the edge and in deep doodoo. I shoot full time and wincing every time I draw my pistol does not work for me.

So I researched and found this therapist online, and bought and downloaded his simple video instructions on how to do self-therapy for Tennis elbow and it was AMAZING! I have had tennis elbow episodes that lasted 3 years running. This guy's method can HEAL it in a few weeks, permanently.

Give it a look. It will blow your mind probably, and will definitely cure your tennis elbow.

http://tenniselbowclassroom.com/

Tennis Elbow is so misunderstood that it is almost unbelievable. Look how many of us suffer from it, yet almost ALL the professional advice and treatment is WRONG and completely ineffective, barely even addressing symptoms let alone a cure or prevention.

I'm not paying to access their information. Can you elaborate as to what professional advice and treatment is wrong?

Tennis Elbow is so misunderstood that it is almost unbelievable. Look how many of us suffer from it, yet almost ALL the professional advice and treatment is WRONG and completely ineffective, barely even addressing symptoms let alone a cure or prevention.

I'm not paying to access their information. Can you elaborate as to what professional advice and treatment is wrong?

Just watch all the free videos from him and it will build the case. The paid stuff is how to fix it all.

Just watch all the free videos from him and it will build the case. The paid stuff is how to fix it all.

Umm. If you're too busy to explain it in a few words, I'm too busy to watch the videos. Especially since badchad's PT exercises have solved my problem.

also started doing the rubber band exercises to work on my 'ungrip' muscles in my hands. After just a couple days that seems to make a dramatic difference as well.

Umm. If you're too busy to explain it in a few words, I'm too busy to watch the videos. Especially since badchad's PT exercises have solved my problem.

also started doing the rubber band exercises to work on my 'ungrip' muscles in my hands. After just a couple days that seems to make a dramatic difference as well.

Sorry I even bothered to try to help with your piss poor attitude dude

Stop being grumpy. I have an excellent attitude. I'm also willing to at least spend a few sentences explaining something (esp if someone asks) rather than just pointing people to a pay website and expecting them to sift through it all. Since you've already apparently sifted through it, it would be courteous and useful for you to at least summarize. I know you have the time and the good writing skills from some of your other posts, so help us out. I bet 5 of sarge's dollars that plenty of other people thought the same thing and didn't bother screwing around with the link. It would probably take you 2-3 mins to write a summary paragraph, and for everyone who reads it, it would either convey information they otherwise would have missed, or it will save them 15 mins or more screwing around with a commercial website that is trying to lure paying customers.

Stop being grumpy. I have an excellent attitude. I'm also willing to at least spend a few sentences explaining something (esp if someone asks) rather than just pointing people to a pay website and expecting them to sift through it all. Since you've already apparently sifted through it, it would be courteous and useful for you to at least summarize. I know you have the time and the good writing skills from some of your other posts, so help us out. I bet 5 of sarge's dollars that plenty of other people thought the same thing and didn't bother screwing around with the link. It would probably take you 2-3 mins to write a summary paragraph, and for everyone who reads it, it would either convey information they otherwise would have missed, or it will save them 15 mins or more screwing around with a commercial website that is trying to lure paying customers.

You are talking to me all wrong.

1) Starting off saying you are "not going to pay to access their information" is, well, saying you don't value it enough, so you want me to GIVE it all to you after I paid for it and then took the time to share the tip with you. Comes off arrogant and inconsiderate at best. Not the way to encourage me or anyone to respond or help. Your snippy response took me two days to decide to even reply too, and I only did because I have seen you posting elsewhere, so gave you the benefit of the doubt that you just were not thinking when you made this post.

2) After I finally decided to reply, telling you to that it is FREE info to answer your question, (Note: Tennis elbow rehab is NOT my business) you apparently decided that was not convenient enough for you. Ever heard of leading a horse to water, but cannot make them drink? Well, that is how you reacted and responded - again, indicating that it is not important enough to you to bother even clicking on a link and watching a video. You know from my many posts that if I felt I could do a better job explaining it to you than the pro in his professional marketing materials, I would have. But given your twice "thumb in my eye" replies that you don't care enough to "drink" when it is served up to you as I did, then to hell with it. Why should I bother further?

I am not selling anything here. You should appreciate that I have shared what I paid a lot of time and a little money learning, and telling you it worked for me. If you do not appreciate that enough to not be an a-hole to me for my efforts, and to take the huge effort of clicking on the link I provided, then stay happy.

Crap like your offensive and combative posts here is why I rarely even participate in on-line forums at all, because inevitably, on-line A-holes behave like you have here. I treat all of my communications as if I were standing right there talking to the audience, face to face. That is polite and decent behavior. I will not tolerate any less from anyone else just because they can be rude and not get their teeth knocked in by hiding behind the computer screen while doing so.

So no, I will NOT respond to your rude and inconsiderate request or posts. I hope you can learn something from this and we can communicate further in the future.

Edited by Robco

Okay, don't stop being grumpy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate that you could write several paragraphs explaining why you won't write a summary paragraph. My apologies that I didn't get the instructions on how to talk to you correctly. :devil:

For everyone else, as I mentioned earlier, I and many others have had excellent success with bad chad's pt exercises, and the rubber band finger exercises seem to help even more. I would recommend that anyone who is having tendinitis problems start with those two easy steps. If that doesn't work, then perhaps it's worth checking out the website Robco referred to.

Edited by motosapiens

Crap like your offensive and combative posts here is why I rarely even participate in on-line forums at all, because inevitably, on-line A-holes behave like you have here. I treat all of my communications as if I were standing right there talking to the audience, face to face. That is polite and decent behavior. I will not tolerate any less from anyone else just because they can be rude and not get their teeth knocked in by hiding behind the computer screen while doing so.

Help me understand what you are saying... Are you threatening to knock someone's teeth out for asking you to summarize some information (specifically what advice and treatments are 'wrong' according to the site you linked)? I guess it never occurred to me that such a request could hurt someone's feelings so much. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Help me understand what you are saying... Are you threatening to knock someone's teeth out for asking you to summarize some information (specifically what advice and treatments are 'wrong' according to the site you linked)? I guess it never occurred to me that such a request could hurt someone's feelings so much. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Well, obviously you don't get it at all. I grew up in the real world, not on computers, and I learned how to communicate with people cordially, and yes, I have suffered some "immediate physical feedback" situations when I was a wise ass like you are being here. I learned to NOT do that again. Of course on forums and on-line, you lose that feedback loop. Clearly I could write pages on the subject in response to your question, and might even be inclined to do so if you gave me any reason whatever to bother doing so for you. But, even with several efforts to give you feedback, you persist in your ways. As you well know, there has been no threat and you certainly know now, that your posts to me on this subject were offensive to me. And you persist in your game playing. I am not interested.

Well, obviously you don't get it at all. I grew up in the real world, not on computers, and I learned how to communicate with people cordially, and yes, I have suffered some "immediate physical feedback" situations when I was a wise ass like you are being here. I learned to NOT do that again.

The 'immediate physical feedback' you appear to be threatening is not legal, and is quite dangerous for the one providing the feedback as well. I'm sorry you took offense, but if you have any more threats or insults, please put them in a PM rather than ruining this interesting thread.

Well, obviously you don't get it at all. I grew up in the real world, not on computers, and I learned how to communicate with people cordially, and yes, I have suffered some "immediate physical feedback" situations when I was a wise ass like you are being here. I learned to NOT do that again.

The 'immediate physical feedback' you appear to be threatening is not legal, and is quite dangerous for the one providing the feedback as well. I'm sorry you took offense, but if you have any more threats or insults, please put them in a PM rather than ruining this interesting thread.

So now you are a lawyer? Well, I actually do have a law degree and nothing I said can in any way be remotely considered a threat at all, to anyone. You are focusing on the wrong thing again. It is playing a game on your part, and misconstruing, and completely missing apparently, the statement I made, as analogy/metaphor. Get over yourself.

Wow. So about that tendinitis....

Yeah, really! Enough rancor huh?

Well, that is the first myth that needs to be debunked. What we all are describing and suffering from in this post, is Tendinosis, NOT tendinitis. Tendinitis is an inflammatory condition, tennis elbow is not. Therefore Icing and anti-inflammatory drugs, steroidal or non, do nothing but treat the symptoms, if even that and actually usually make the condition worse. Tendons have such low blood supply in the best of conditions, that healing is very difficult and slow. And icing reduces blood flow. Rest actually allows the condition to get worse as it also decreases blood flow to the damaged tendons, allows more adhesions to form and scar tissue to build up, which further restricts the muscle flexibility and thus puts even more stress on the damaged tendons - re-injuring them every time you stretch or use them. This constant re-injuring and application of the old, standard WRONG and ineffective treatment regimens is why the condition rarely heals or stays healed for long, creating perhaps years of unnecessary suffering.

The therapy I used and suggested readers check out as posted and linked to above, stimulates healing, eliminates the adhesions, remodels the muscles and tendons where the scar tissue accumulated and then once healed, shows how to strengthen all of the soft tissues in the areas so they will be more resistant to stress and re-damage. It makes sense, actually works, and can be done on yourself for free, in your home or anywhere in minutes a day. The guy shows how in his videos, clearly and simply, and in my opinion, this information is worth 1000 times what he charges for it.

Below is another link to another random therapist who describes the difference in the terms as follows:

"Tendinosis: History, Histopathology, Pathogenesis, Evaluation, and Treatments of the under-reported chronic tendon condition.

The term tendinosis was first used in the 1940s by a group of German researchers, however the term did not receive much attention until it was used again in the mid 1980s to describe a non-inflammatory tendon condition. The more commonly used term of tendinitis has since been proven to be a misnomer for several reasons. The first of which is that there is a lack of inflammatory cells in conditions that were typically called a tendonitis. Since inflammation is the key pathological process involved with that term, and the discovery that there in fact were no, or very few, inflammatory cells present in the condition, a new term was adopted tendinosis. This has a much greater impact then just the name one calls a condition, it also has a profound impact on how the condition is treated..."

http://www.elitesportstherapy.com/tendinosis-vs--tendonitis

Anyway, this is the reply I WOULD have provided had it been respectfully requested - by someone else in this ugly thread.

Hope it guides and helps!

Here is the link again, to the therapist and treatment method I used.

http://tenniselbowclassroom.com/