Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST for 40 Major?

shtr3

Guys, I have done searches and read for an hour or two on this subject and found some very outdated material. So I am going to go ahead and post this question. Do any of you use WST for 40 major PF. Im looking for some load data on this. I have 180 gr. Bayou Bullet that i will be loading, which is lead moly coated. I use 4.2 gr of WST w/ 230 lead round nose in my 45 and get around 175 PF. Just picked up a new limited STI pistol 40 cal, which i will shoot in Limited Division and was wanting to get educated on this, if anyone uses it, using it, or has used it to get major PF.

Thanks in advance.

SHTR3:

Here is data directly from the 13th edition of my Winchester loading catalog For WST:

170 gr, Lead

charge weight (grs.) Velocity Pressure (psi)

4.0 870 22,800

5.0 970 30,000

180 gr, jhp

charge weight (grs.) Velocity Pressure (psi)

4.0 780 21,800

5.0 900 28,100

Arlin

I just used 4.0 gr with some 180 gr xtreme bullets today. Around 85F here and out of my P229 I averaged 756FPS. 1.160" CCI Small Rifle Primers I think, they might have been pistol but I can't be for sure only because I primed the brass so long ago and have been shooting 45 for so long.

"4.6gr at 1.185 with a 185gr Precision black bullet gets me 173pf & 4.2gr with a 200gr Bayou Bullet at 1.190 just netted me 176pf at the Area 7 chrono. These are out of an STI Edge."---------------------

Same drops and oal for me got about the same results...... You will be fine with these....

WST is reverse temp sensitive

4.6gr at 1.185 with a 185gr Precision black bullet gets me 173pf & 4.2gr with a 200gr Bayou Bullet at 1.190 just netted me 176pf at the Area 7 chrono. These are out of an STI Edge.

Perfect info I needed, same gun, almost same bullets. thanks, this will help me a lot

anyone load FMJ with WST to make major for a glock OAL 1.13????

Bit to risky???

Hogdgon's website shows a maximum load at about 160pf at an O.A.L. of 1.125" with WST and a Hornaday XTP 180gr bullet. I don't know what temperature their test ammo was fired at; I'd guess probably room temperature. You might have to push it to get major in hot weather, but I guess it also depends on your barrel, bullets and a bunch of other things. Cha-Lee once listed a bunch of things that effect pressure. I'll look for his post. I may have saved it somewhere in my hard drive.

My mantra is "Work up loads slowly."

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I’ve been loading Bear Creek 180 gr. FP for years with WST.

For 1911 style pistols only:

180 gr. Bear Creek FP

4.7 gr. WST

OAL 1.200

PF 170

Jeff

Thanks jeff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

4.7gr of WST @ 1.140 with a BBI or Bayou 180gr bullet gives me about 168 PF at 95 degrees.out of my STI 5 inch Eagle and Sentry. Start a little lower and work your way up with a chrono.

I've been running 4.3gr WST under 180gr Bayou, 1.180" OAL in my .40 STI with a Barsto barrel. Average velocity= 945 for a PF of 170, in 90deg heat. Shoots soft and clean. Only complaint is the velocity is a bit more eratic than I would like with about a 60fps spread. 4.2gr Solo1000 gives me the same velocity from the same bullet, is just as clean, difference in feel is nearly imperceptible and the velocity spread is about 20fps.

Edited by co-exprs

anyone load FMJ with WST to make major for a glock OAL 1.13????

Bit to risky???

When loading the 40 S&W to major at the shorter SAAMI lengths for a Glock, S&W, etc. I always recommend avoiding the faster burning powders like WST, TG, etc.

It’s just not worth the risk.

Jeff

Just spent the last hour working up a load with WST. Started at 4.8gr with a 180gr JHP loaded to 1.202. Finished at 5.2gr and will post chrony results when I get them. Shooting my STI Edge. Temp will be around 80 degrees.

Do that, and let me know when you want to shoot.

5.2gr averaged 939 fps through 10 rounds with a high of 954 and a low of 936 making an average 170pf. Better yet, it shoots way softer than the Unique recipe I was shooting. I've got 4lbs to load so I'm thinking that I might have found my new powder of choice until things settle down some more. Now all I need to do is find more bullets.