Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax disappointment

gman1868

Got mine about 6 months ago. Took it to the range and the gun shot slugs (regular and reduced recoil) 3" high and 1" left at 50 yards. Adjusted the stock and that helped some. However, to hit center I still need to position the gun so that as I look at the front sight I barely see the top of the fiber.

I understand that without an adjustable rear sight I must adjust my check weld on the stock, but with this gun it seems I really have to over-compensate compared to the other shotguns I own.

I understand that Remington has had quality issues and am wondering if something is wrong with the barrel or the receiver?

I really do like how the gun handles except for what I must do to get good hits on paper.

3"h & 1"l still puts you in the a zone at 50 yards with a center hold and will hit any steel plate I've ever had to engage at a match. I have yet to shoot a match were you would need the gun to hit more closely to point of aim than that.

My Versa hits 9" right and very low at 50 yards. I had to put a rear sight on it to make it usable with slugs.

3"h & 1"l still puts you in the a zone at 50 yards with a center hold and will hit any steel plate I've ever had to engage at a match. I have yet to shoot a match were you would need the gun to hit more closely to point of aim than that. .

Hell, I'd be happy with that. I'm not shooting groups with mine, just gotta hit that plate. Once.

Mine shoots a good 4" right at 50 yards. I haven't adjusted mine for poi=poa yet. I just point it a little left and shoot.

Either have remington get you a new barrel or send it to a tuner to bend yours. No reason to accept a barrel they doesn't shoot where your aiming if your not happy with it. I know I wouldn't accept it regardless if it did the job or not.

I don't see why there is so much fuss over SG sights. Sure it's disappointing that a gun doesn't hit tight groups but there are many variables that can effect POI.

Why not just slap a set of $40 Hi-Viz sights on and be able to adjust as needed?

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/four-in-one.html

A friend of mine and I have these on two different guns and they are amazing. On mine if I want to shoot slugs I set the rear sight on notch 3 (from the bottom). I'm dead on at 25 and 100 yards. If I plan to shoot trap I lift the rear sight and set it on notch 5 or 6. Now my shot column is 80/90 above the front sight and I'm dusting clays.

Cheap, easy and adjustable.

It just takes practice to know what YOUR gun does with the ammo that YOU shoot.

Thank you all very much! This gives me some options to try. The barrel clamp is still there, I'll try it without it. I like the sights, that sounds like a good option as well.

Who would be some good people for truing the barrel? I'm not sure about sending the gun to Remington, to get the correct parts to replace the bolt release button that fell off the first time I took the range I had to call them 3 times before they finally sent the correct parts.

VMT with LM choke and 7/8oz Fiocchi slugs, no rear sight (just put the bead in the center of the ramp):

These targets were at about 50 yards...and big. Shooting slugs at 100 yards is like shooting a mortar. POI is worse (lower) with cylinder choke and faster slugs (Rem Slugger) hit even lower for some reason. Making what I have work...

Edited by CmbtEngr

3" high and 1" left at 50 yards This says inches...right?

I would be ecstatic with that level of performance! From one lot of slugs to the next one can not expect that!

Wow, how critical we have become of SHOTGUNS to shoot slugs to one exact spot!

I guess we should expect all shotguns to shoot MOA out to 150 yards too!

Edited by P.E. Kelley

3" high at 50yds is very good and easy to work with. It will also put you fairly close at 100yds. My Nova hits about 4" low left at 100yds, and I consider that dead on and very workable. I need to do more work with my Versamax, but my only complaint is that I seem to loose a fair bit of velocity between my Nova and Versa. My Nova throws BP low recoils very flat, while my Versa thows them with a lot of arch. With my Versa dead on at 100yds, I get about 10" rise at 50yds. Fiocchi 7/8oz are lighter and faster than the BPs and seem to work a bit better in my Versa with only about 5" of rise. So, I try to save my Fiocchi slugs for the Versa, which is fine because I shoot my Nova way more and it loves the less expensive BP's. I think you might be expecting a bit too much from your sniper shotgun.

Well, I may be one of the only folks running an M2 Tactical out there, but every time I get to shoot slugs with gnat's ass accuracy out past 50 yards, I certainly do appreciate that rear sight! :D

• 2 weeks later...

3" high and 1" left at 50 yards This says inches...right?

I would be ecstatic with that level of performance! From one lot of slugs to the next one can not expect that!

Wow, how critical we have become of SHOTGUNS to shoot slugs to one exact spot!

I guess we should expect all shotguns to shoot MOA out to 150 yards too!

That is a great idea! Now, the trick is getting a manufacturer to stand behind that claim.

Yes. The LPA rear sight can be added to the VersaMax. The centre elevation screw on the sight will fit right into the pre existing hole in the receiver (same thread pattern).

You will have to align the sight (fix in place using the elevation screw), then drill and tap for the front and rear sight mounting screws.

For the front sight, I dove tailed a HiViz sight with changeable fibre optic.

Mick

Anybody run that above adjustable rear sight on a versamax? Never seen anything like that. Looks nice for a add on and be able to dial in slugs for us guys who don't shoot slugs a lot.