Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 SW 200gr for Major

Solvability

With your Glock you may find the profile of most 200 gr bullets will force you to load even shorter than your mags allow.

I'd be careful with 200 grain bullets with standard (or shorter- like kneelingatlas says) .40S&W cartridge lengths and the faster powders. The pressure can spike very suddenly as you approach max with moderate burn rate or faster powders.

I am with Bob on this one. Been using 200's for a few years now and very much like them. More of a push than a kick to me. Can't speak for Glock which I more limited due to the mag. In 2011's they are very nice if you work up a load for them. 4.6gr of old Bullseye works well in mine.

I used a 200 loaded long to about 1.200" over regular Clays. Worked well in my Para's, but I did blow up a gun when I first tested the rounds loaded to standard SAAMI spec. (1.135").

Glocks, I understand will take up to about 1.155" before the magazine gags on the round. That's longer than 1.135", but it sure isn't 1.200".

A slower powder with less peak pressure at short COAL's, albeit with more felt recoil impulse, may be needed when loading a 200 for a G35, and even then is not risk free. Do be cautious.

I like 3.6 gr of Clays under a Bayou Bullet 200gr. No problem if you work up slowly and load long, brass is normally shot and lost, but still no bulging and primers look great, no flattening or pressure signs. CCI primers for me at this point. Getting ready to work up a load with ramshot competition in a few weeks when I'm up to it.

In a glock you may be pushing to the limit on pressure.

Edited by DMH

I like 3.6 gr of Clays under a Bayou Bullet 200gr. No problem if you work up slowly and load long, brass is normally shot and lost, but still no bulging and primers look great, no flattening or pressure signs. CCI primers for me at this point. Getting ready to work up a load with ramshot competition in a few weeks when I'm up to it.

What kind of lengths are you running?

What kind of lengths are you running?

1.185 oal

What powder are you using?

I have used so far IMR PB and Ramshot Competition, HS-6, HP-38

Aren't those powders a little slow for a non compensated pistol?

IMP PB list at 23

Ramshot is 7

HS-6 is 42

HP-38 is 28 which gives me the best feel like a 9mm and makes major but couldn't find any so I went with PB closet they had at my local shop.

Never have any issues with pressure or anything also.

Edited by deerassassin22

I have a shooting buddy that uses 200gr bullets in Limited, SS and Production.

He uses WST in practice and N320 for match loads and has for several years.

Any idea on out his powder choice???

I'm the shooter BEC was talking about. Not exactly sure of Mike's question.

But, I use to only shoot WST and have for years, I love how it meters through

my 550. However, WST is an inverse powder (hotter the outside temp the slower

the load, etc). So to make sure I would make major at matches I started using

N320 which does not seem to be temp sensitive. I have several pounds of WST,

so I continue to use it and will. I do not have to change my 550's powder bar

when switching from WST to N320. I know I could just use N320, but WST is easy

to find and I like it.

I have a shooting buddy that uses 200gr bullets in Limited, SS and Production. He uses WST in practice and N320 for match loads and has for several years.

Any idea on out his powder choice???
I'm the shooter BEC was talking about. Not exactly sure of Mike's question.But, I use to only shoot WST and have for years, I love how it meters throughmy 550. However, WST is an inverse powder (hotter the outside temp the slowerthe load, etc). So to make sure I would make major at matches I started usingN320 which does not seem to be temp sensitive. I have several pounds of WST,so I continue to use it and will. I do not have to change my 550's powder barwhen switching from WST to N320. I know I could just use N320, but WST is easyto find and I like it.

Ment to say any idea of OAL with 200 and WST