Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke down some ULSC ammo today

Sandbagger123

I have a habit of picking up ULSC ammo. most ranges in my area ask people to not leave live rounds on the ground.

I would never shoot them as is as i have no idea what they are loaded with. would hate to put a 9 major round through my regular gun. I usually break them down and reuse the components, minus the powder. Makes great practice loads.

What amazing is the varied types of bullets and powder charges. i can usually tell the major loads by length and powder that comes out. Sometimes the powder that comes out seems to be damp. Seeing how frugal I am, i had the thought go through my mind to use reuse the powder mixture. JK LOL

Here are some pix

ULSCammo002_zps4f4ba38c.jpg

ULSCammo001_zpsb1cf5d76.jpg

We have a shooter that will pick up every live round he can find and will shoot them.

I am sure he gets some nice slide speed with his XDm and all the 9 major rounds. :surprise:

As an owner of an XDm he should probably feel lucky that it is a well built gun or he might be missing some things. Not sure how long it would last with a steady diet of major loads though

Another interesting thing to do is break down factory ammo. I had occasion to pull bullets on a premium brand duty issue hollowpoint that I picked up from police quals done at different times at my range, done at various times by different departments. Same factory case, same bullet, but at least three different powders and two different primers, the foil of one of which did not look anything at all like that on the types of primers made and sold by this same manufacturer.

This goes along with what I'd read elsewhere. The exact recipe can vary, so long as it performs within specifications for the ammunition.

We have a shooter that will pick up every live round he can find and will shoot them.

I am sure he gets some nice slide speed with his XDm and all the 9 major rounds. :surprise:

Is is name Caloy?

Man, that's cold. I think Caloy has an XD and not an XDM. LOL

Seiichi

Use the powder mix to fertilize your flowers or lawn !!!

That's no fun! A better or at least much more exciting method involves an old RC car chassis and an empty metal 1lb Winchester 540 can. Mount the 540 can to the RC chassis so the mouth is to the rear and aimed slightly upwards. Put some of the mixed powder (remember more IS better) in the 540 can along with a short length of cannon fuse and voilà, instant gunpowder rocket car!

Edited by Ming the Merciless