Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received the rest of my H-141 pads today, so I thought I would share some photos of my finished Match project.

eaaWM_01.jpg

eaaWM_02.jpg

competition_twins.jpg

What grips are those on the Match? Are they the standard plastic ones?

Mind giving us some details? That thing is looking mighty fine!

What grips are those on the Match? Are they the standard plastic ones?

Nothing really special about it... 9mm Match with Henning fixed sights, Henning base pads (still using factory followers/springs loading to 20), Canyon Creek weld-on magwell (epoxied on), factory plastic grips sanded smoothed and stippled with a soldering iron (under-cut to fit the magwell), factory ambi-safety, and some Dawson Precision grey grip tape on the front strap. Zero internal work so far. I have a Henning trigger pin screw/nut that I still haven't installed yet.

I bought this gun new as an impulse buy because it reminded me of the old two-tone Bren Ten guns back in the day (Miami Vice!). Once I got it, I realized it was too bulky for a carry gun and was too heavy for IDPA, so I decided to give it a try in USPSA Limited, and just use my 1911 for IDPA. Love it as a Limited gun. :)

So I decided to give the 6" Tanfo idea another try; I bought a Hunter in .45 because I just had see for myself:

IMG_20130817_175516_649-1_zpsd8e75857.jp

But I found it way to nose heavy, and the capacity meant it would be a dedicated L10 gun. I got the .45 because it was all I could find at the time and got a decent deal; I eventually sold the 6" .45 upper and this frame became the base of many projects you've seen here.

Fast forward about a year and I found a 10mm Hunter so I decided to give it another go. This time I'm going to chop the frame and invest in some slide lightening, so I mocked up a few in Photoshop:

Hunterchopedcut_zpse41b6d3f.jpg

GoldMatchChopped_zpsce1ee169.jpg

GoldMatchChopped2tone_zpsb04d1ca4.jpg

One of my big complaints about the look of the Hunter is that only has four front cocking serrations (unlike the rear and rest of the Tanfos) and that it has an awkward about of slide sticking out of the frame making it look like the frame wasn't made with the slide length in mind (because it wasn't), so I fixed it :devil:

I'm nervous about the lightening cuts because I had a TS slide all cut up, but didn't like the new recoil impulse; 1.8 oz was taken all from the muzzle and I found it to flip more than before. Since this is a nose heavy 6" I'm thinking most of the weight should come from the front, but I definitely want to be conservative. I'm going to weight some slides and ponder that one some more before I pull the trigger.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. Personally, I like the reverse pinto finish on the bottom...nice!

Sometime this year I intend to send my tanfo to Canyon Creek to have a 9mm barrel w/Ti comp installed and am going to ask Rich about what slide lightening he recommends.

Does anyone know where I could send my grips to have the Tanfoglio logo cut into them. I would then color fill the logo red. I made a vinyl sticker to see what it would look like. I am really liking the red & black contrast.

PC_20140711_162352_zpsic8bqswc.jpg

Find a local laser engraving shop to do it for you.They should be able to laser engrave the logo onto the grip which will basically blast off the black anodizing leaving the raw aluminum below. Then you can fill in the logo with red. That would be a lot of $$$ for a fashion statement though.

Yea I tried finding the Eric Graffel grips but no one had any for the small frame Limited. I may just have them Cerakoted

grauffel sells them in his shop

Does Eric have a shop in the US? The website is from overseas