Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

muzzle break?

trlloyd

http://www.multigunmedia.com/pk-compensation.pdf

http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf

Short answer...NO, no consensus, just fans of one or another and they will be along soon telling you which one to buy.

If you care to read..the links above will get you started.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Aaron...please read the articles...best does not exist!

The AR Pro AM was just won with a guy using a Rolling Thunder and and a close second was a guy using a Seekins.

In forth was one of the BIGGEST money winners in the game he used a Cooley brake.

So with that....which one is best???

Oh I've read all the articles. I'm just saying if I was a manufacturer I would gladly want to show my product could hang with the best. I think this kind of stuff is only good for the end user. Now you have guys like seekins using sophisticated flow modeling to develope parts.

By the way I now use a seekins, this 3 gun pro I know has brainwashed me lol

Edited by APL-G35

I happen to like my Carbon Arms comp very much. But many comps get the job done one way or another.

The Carbon Arms one happens to be very light, small, effective, and not obnoxious to the shooter, at all. Especially good on build where you are trying to shave off weight in every part. Mine's on an 18" barrel and swings great. I wasn't giving up anything to shorter barrel rifles from what I could tell. I'm looking forward to the match in about two weeks to run it at a different range and stages for more testing.

Hey if comps are being given out and you need a nub's feedback, I'm available. :)

Also saving my pennies for fhe seekins SP3R, and a BCG.

At matches is it ok to share shotguns or any other hardware. Both my roommate and I could get involved faster if that is possible.

Last question - is there a good source to find matches? Looking for one near Baltimore.

I would even volunteer.

Thanks

Todd

Hey if comps are being given out and you need a nub's feedback, I'm available. :)

Also saving my pennies for fhe seekins SP3R, and a BCG.

At matches is it ok to share shotguns or any other hardware. Both my roommate and I could get involved faster if that is possible.

Last question - is there a good source to find matches? Looking for one near Baltimore.

I would even volunteer.

Thanks

Todd

At Tarheel 3-Gun, sharing happens. There is even a place on the registration form to announce that so you can get in the same squad.

I don't know about other matches.

Come down to our match sometime and borrow my gear. My stuff is all for Open division, but you can play with cool toys and not have to buy them yourself.

308 is much more demanding on a comp than 223. Shooting 308 has schooled me that technique is everything. Honestly, just about any decent brake will stack rounds just fine. I have 4 different rifles with 4 different comps. One is even Griffin brake/flash hider. They all work great. They all feel a little different, but in the end they all get the job done just fine. In truth, my very best shooting rifle is my old JP15 20" with a cooley. I just picked up a Carbon Arms comp and will try it out this weekend. We'll see how that one stacks up, but I suspect it will be great. Surefire, Miculeck, PRI, Cooley, Seekins, Thunder, Schuller. Any of the common units will work great. Pick one that looks especially cool and get to the range.

Edited by co-exprs

I've recently switched from a Titan to the Seekins comp. It feels smoother and has considerably less felt percussion for the shooter and especially for anyone on a bench near you and ROs.

It is also less than half the weight.

Todd,

York IWLA (Dallastown, PA) hosts monthly Action matches, generally two separate 2-gun matches (rifle/pistol and shotgun/pistol), an hour north of B'more. Check out http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/ for details. About two hours away, you have Peacemaker National Training Center (PNTC) on the VA/WV border. Check out http://peacemakernational.com. They have monthly 3-gun matches, and one coming up soon. If you get the bug and want to travel a bit more, the Tarheel matches down near Durham, NC will be about 5 hours away, but it is a good sized match for a club event.

Sharing equipment should be no problem at any club level event. I have certainly seen it done at both York and PNTC.

Come out and start shooting!

Todd,

York IWLA (Dallastown, PA) hosts monthly Action matches, generally two separate 2-gun matches (rifle/pistol and shotgun/pistol), an hour north of B'more. Check out http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/ for details. About two hours away, you have Peacemaker National Training Center (PNTC) on the VA/WV border. Check out http://peacemakernational.com. They have monthly 3-gun matches, and one coming up soon. If you get the bug and want to travel a bit more, the Tarheel matches down near Durham, NC will be about 5 hours away, but it is a good sized match for a club event.

Sharing equipment should be no problem at any club level event. I have certainly seen it done at both York and PNTC.

Come out and start shooting!

I have been slowly building my rifle, I am getting to the point I want to shoot it and I'm thinking about buying milspec parts rather than the aftermarket parts I want. I need a BCG, I was wanting a low mass, I have not bought a buffer or spring based on that, I am looking for a front handguard, waiting for a good price on a Seekins, and I rear iron sight. I have my Glock 19 with the holster I used in Afghanistan with a bunch of stock mags. No shotgun, so the two gun shoots at york would be nice.

We will see.

Had to do this...

no no NO yer ALL wrong :) ...it's the Jakenator Comp! Installed by the late great Marty Kolodziej. God Bless 'em...

Comp1.jpg

​There are many great comps. Not that many installed so perfectly.

Edited by Jman

I recently underwent the same dilemma of choosing a comp. I read Mr. Kelley's articles and his final analysis on recoil reduction and muzzle movement. I went with the Miculek due to its good ranking in his breakdown and its value price. Took it out and...damn! The gun just doesn't move! Performed comparison with quick double-taps between my Miculek/ALG trigger set-up and a friend's Battlecomp/SSA-E trigger set-up and I still thought the Miculek had less rise and recoil - even with the cheap trigger. Now...to add an SSA-E!