Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most common bullet used in SS

timawa

I currently use 230 gr RN jacketed. What are you guys using? And what advantage of light grain to heavy grain or vice versa? I prefer jacketed because I'm worried of lead, I have kids. But if somebody reason out why they use non jacketed I might consider it.

Thanks!

I run 230 in 45 and 200 in 40. For major, I prefer heavier bullets as the recoil is different and I perceive it to be "softer" for me. I then find a mainspring/recoil spring combo that works well and cycles the gun how I want it to. With that, I run a 17lb mainspring in both and a 13lb recoil for 45 and 12lb recoil for 40.

Take care,

Mads

I can't say I have used them in uspsa, but steel and bowling pins... (looking at going to my first USPSA Saturday) but I'm using a 160 grain using a 12 lb recoil spring. I also have some 230 using the 18lb spring. The 160 is a bunny fart load. But very accurate. I don't think it is at major power factor though.

lead seem to have a "softer" recoil to me. They are cheaper to shoot... it is another fun part of the hobby casting your own. And is safe if you don't cast in closed area. Loading not a problem, wash hands in cold water after. Just have it stored securely if you are worried of kids. Some say they are not as accurate... but if you see my ransom rest groups. You might think otherwise too. If you are worried about leading in your barrel... at the end of the shooting session, run a few plated/jacketed bullets. It'll blow most of the leading out, my trp barrel is very clean with great rifling still despite shooting 1000's of lead rounds.

No need to change if you don't have to. I have shot a lot of moly 200gr SWC but they are messy on your hands when loading them and at the range when loading mags. The gun also needs to be cleaned more often.

If cost isn't an issue then what you are shooting right now, as long as they run, is the best way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently shot my first local uspsa event in SS. Smaller turn out so my squad was pretty relaxed.

The RSO's were great in helping me out. It was a blast.

I did however kept having mag failures despite my brushing out abilities...

I had some 230gr plated RDN with some bullseye behind it.

I shot plenty of alphas, it felt soft too. But I heard many people say they were using clays.

• 2 weeks later...

200gr SWC for me. Either straight up cast or polymer coated. I used to run 230's but once I got good at tracking my sights, it felt like I was waiting for the slide. In addition to faster slide speed, 200gr fly flatter than 230's, so those long shots are a bit easier. One more benefit is that the slide speed is closer to that of my limited 40. So not as big a transition from one pistol to the other. My SS shoots fantastic with a 12lb spring, but I have to run a 14lb for feed reliability. The happy medium for me was to cut 2 coils from a 14lb spring. Feels similar to a 12lb, is more feed reliable and lasts longer.

I've used 200 SWC and currently I use 230 gr RN. i'm considering a 225 gr Flat Point just to see if it makes a hole like I'm thinking, between the size of a SWC and RN. All my bullets come from Xtreme and are copper plated. It's worth the little bit extra to me for less smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used 200 SWCs and 230 LRN. I'm also a cowboy shooter, so I shoot a ton of cast bullets, and know the local casters. Buying lead that way is a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering jacketed or plated.

Between the two weights, you need to decide how you like your recoil, fast and snappy, or slow and rolling.

The SWCs punch very large, very clean holes in targets. All the smallbore guys go goggle eyed looking at them, which is kind of satisfying in its own way. The RNs don't look much different from .40. Sometimes, at matches where they use plastic pasters, if the sun comes from behind the targets, it'll shine right through the .45 holes, and make the target look like a stained glass window.

On the downside, lead can be smoky. It's not normally a problem, at least for me. Like I said, I shoot a LOT of cast. Every once in a while, when you have a lot of rounds going into a very small space, the sun will hit the cloud just right, and backlight it for you. That happened to me this weekend. There was an array of 4 targets, stacked 2 and 2, wit the sun coming from about 11 o'clock. The targets were in shadow, but it caught the smoke cloud and front sight fiber, giving me a sight picture like a red ball bouncing around in a swirling cloud on an indistinct brown surface.

Fortunately, to someone who's shot much .44-40 loaded with black powder, this is classified as a minor inconvenience.