Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Comp .40

AznDragon533

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the new Para has some endorsements from members here.

In the past, I said I would never buy another Para again (have a P16-40) because of quality issues, but I am beginning to reconsider and may put the Para back on my list. I'll wait and see what others say when they get one.

Agreed. I've not heard good things in the past about the guns. But this one looks promising. And I do find myelf wanting a Single Stack in .40.

But I've done too much accidental beta testing in my life to do it willingly. I'm going to wait to see what others have to say about this gun before I dive in.

Though a special connection, I got one of the first batch. This gun is WONDERFUL. Since I am normally a Limited shooter, and not used to skinny mags and narrow mag hole, I added a SVI mag Competition Magwell. Even with that addition, the gun is 1.5 oz under weight, with a Tripp Mag in it. I bought six Tripp "Corey 40" mags - these are 10mm, 10rd mags with a different follower in them, the gun fits in the USPSA box, and they run flawlessly. The ONLY thing I had to do to get the gun to run with my normal Limited gun loads with 1.19OAL, was to loosen up the extractor (it was so tight, it would not let the rim slide up under). The trigger is about 3lb, and very crisp, with a short reset. The VZ grip panels are very "Grippy", so much so, I had to take a file and knock the edge off a bit of it, because it was wearing out the knuckle of my weak hand thumb.

This is a wonderful gun. My first competition gun was a Para Ord 18-9 LDA. While I still like that gun, there is NO COMPARISON in quality when it comes to this gun. Lots of times when you buy a "Stock" gun, right a way you want to change a thing here and there. Not with this gun (did not have a magwell, so this was an addition, not a parts change) The SS 40 is Fantastic out of the box.

Fair disclosure - TT is a member of our club. I have the good fortune to call him friend, and lucky enough to run into him at the range occasionally. Sitting and talking with him, he is dedicated to creating the best guns out there, especially the competition focused guns. Many times you see a big name shooting his sponsor's gun, but it has really been worked over by someone so that under the covers, it is not a factory gun. Not so with Travis, short of a file to the trigger shoe, or the grip, the gun he shoots, is the one you can buy off the shelf. Para is making some great moves on the market. Give this gun a try.

Mark

Though a special connection, I got one of the first batch. This gun is WONDERFUL. Since I am normally a Limited shooter, and not used to skinny mags and narrow mag hole, I added a SVI mag Competition Magwell. Even with that addition, the gun is 1.5 oz under weight, with a Tripp Mag in it. I bought six Tripp "Corey 40" mags - these are 10mm, 10rd mags with a different follower in them, the gun fits in the USPSA box, and they run flawlessly. The ONLY thing I had to do to get the gun to run with my normal Limited gun loads with 1.19OAL, was to loosen up the extractor (it was so tight, it would not let the rim slide up under). The trigger is about 3lb, and very crisp, with a short reset. The VZ grip panels are very "Grippy", so much so, I had to take a file and knock the edge off a bit of it, because it was wearing out the knuckle of my weak hand thumb.

This is a wonderful gun. My first competition gun was a Para Ord 18-9 LDA. While I still like that gun, there is NO COMPARISON in quality when it comes to this gun. Lots of times when you buy a "Stock" gun, right a way you want to change a thing here and there. Not with this gun (did not have a magwell, so this was an addition, not a parts change) The SS 40 is Fantastic out of the box.

Fair disclosure - TT is a member of our club. I have the good fortune to call him friend, and lucky enough to run into him at the range occasionally. Sitting and talking with him, he is dedicated to creating the best guns out there, especially the competition focused guns. Many times you see a big name shooting his sponsor's gun, but it has really been worked over by someone so that under the covers, it is not a factory gun. Not so with Travis, short of a file to the trigger shoe, or the grip, the gun he shoots, is the one you can buy off the shelf. Para is making some great moves on the market. Give this gun a try.

Mark

Post some pics man:)

Mark is spot on. I was talking over a build sheet for a single stack .40 with Bobby at Freedom Gunworks. We realized my build sheet had the same quality parts as the Para-with the added bonus of no wait time. I don't know Travis as well as others-but I can say he seems very analytical and detail oriented. I know the time and advisement he put into making this a quality gun to buy right off the shelf and I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on buying one. I've had no issues to date, even with the factory mags. The only thing I had done to mine was a tri-top, and that's a personal preference. All other parts are just the way it came. No trigger adjustments, no sight or grip replacements, and no parts swaps or polishing. I think Para is on track to do some great things and rebuild their brand. This single stack is a prime example of that.

post-16366-0-56404200-1382242398_thumb.j

post-16366-0-09873700-1382242411_thumb.j

post-16366-0-84120800-1382242419_thumb.j

post-16366-0-49584000-1382242434_thumb.j

Edited by JWR

I have an 18-9 on the way to use for 3 Gun. Supposed to be here in a week or two. Can't wait to see how for they have progressed. What I have hand in my hand has been way over the top for a stock gun. The fact that the factory is just a couple of hours down the road is a plus.

Like Mark K I got one of the first batch too. Found out about them while talking to Travis at the Alabama sectional. I was at the FGW shop when I took possession so mine got a cosmetic makeover. We tri topped it and added a Dawson mag well. I got it home and gave it a light bead blast to get a nice matte stainless finish and added red white and blue VZ grips. I just like silver guns and the stainless was easy to work with.

I did have to shorten my ammo at first to 1.135 to get it to run the Tripp 10 rd mags, but once it loosened up it runs anything.

Solid gun, great price, and Travis had a lot of input. The gun is amazing. Will try to post a pic later.

10 mm mags. Everything done to mine was just to make it mine. It was a winner out of the box and the trigger was nice too. Right at 3 lbs if I remember right, it's dropped a little since new.

10 mm mags. Everything done to mine was just to make it mine. It was a winner out of the box and the trigger was nice too. Right at 3 lbs if I remember right, it's dropped a little since new.

I'm new to this platform, why you run 10 mm mags? Also are the para mags good quality? Anybody offer extensions and spring kits for them?

I'm new to this platform, why you run 10 mm mags? Also are the para mags good quality? Anybody offer extensions and spring kits for them?

anybody? I am not interested in the single stack but i would like a 18rnd 9mm... so i guess i am asking are the para double stack mags good... do others work?

Edited by gondo

I will be in the market for a new single stack in the next 6 months. Competition pistols get run hard with lots and lots of rounds, making a couple of things a must. Does this pistol come with a forged frame and does this pistol use industry standard trigger parts? Most of the pistols in this price range use cast frames which don't hold up to 100k plus rounds. They simply loosen up too fast. I've been running a Les Baer for several years and I truly love to shoot it, but I will not buy another Les Baer due to the proprietary internals. Those wonderful custom 1911 triggers don't last forever and when a trigger job is needed I don't want to have to send the pistol back to South Carolina for work. There are several excellent 1911 gun smiths right here in Colorado who can do the work and have the pistol back in my hands quickly.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=415779 post #4

My last single-stack 1911 purchase was over twenty years ago. This one looks interesting.

Thankyou. One question answered. One to go. "If" this pistol comes with a forged frame at that price it jumps to the head of the pack for value. I was looking at an STI Sentry for my next SS for the simple reason that it has been the least expensive pistol with forged frame, high quality and industry standard internals and is equip'd ready to race. A little love rub here and there and the Sentry is ready to go. If this pistol comes similarly equip'd and built for $300 less it will be a tough package to beat. especially in .40. I've never been a fan of Para or any of the pistol makers in this price range. I'm happy to see Para stepping up their game. Sounds like their time with Travis on the team has been well spent.