Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Comp .40

AznDragon533

I got a Pro Comp 40 in trade for my son and I to use in SS division. Like Paul, I have yet to shoot it in a match. I have also shot several hundred rounds working up loads and getting it set up like we want it. I converted it from the series 80 trigger and the trigger pull is fantastic. I got a used Dawson Ice magwell and had some fitting issues. Once they were taken care of the gun is just about ready for its first match. I can't wait to give it a run.

That said, if I was going to buy one outright I would probably go with an STI over the Para. If only for the series 70 frame.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Pro Comp 40 in trade for my son and I to use in SS division. Like Paul, I have yet to shoot it in a match. I have also shot several hundred rounds working up loads and getting it set up like we want it. I converted it from the series 80 trigger and the trigger pull is fantastic. I got a used Dawson Ice magwell and had some fitting issues. Once they were taken care of the gun is just about ready for its first match. I can't wait to give it a run.

That said, if I was going to buy one outright I would probably go with an STI over the Para. If only for the series 70 frame.

Shouldn't the main difference be because Series 80 has a firing pin lock safety?

anyone put a 22LR conversion on the para comp yet?

Series 80 is not that big of a deal breaker if set up correctly. I've set up S80 1911s with a 2.5lbs crisp trigger pull.

• 3 weeks later...

What mags are you using in your Pro Comp? 100% reliable? I'm waiting on mine to get to my FFL & thinking about mags.

My Pro Comp arrived yesterday. I ran a couple mags thru it, using the supplied Checkmates and some Brownells/Metalform 45 mags. Ran fine, though the 45 mags would nose dive the first round when loaded with 9, but fine with 8. I put a Dawson Ice magwell on it. That was more frustrating than I thought it would be. The pin hole was just a hair off from the hole in the mainspring housing. I had to hog out the M/S housing hole just a touch to install it. I noticed the Checkmate mags supplied had removeable base pads, and I had a couple Dawson pads for Wilson 47's laying around. I had to grind the front tabs down, but they went on without too much more effort. The trigger out of the box, in a word, sucks. I removed the plunger from the slide, and that helped a ton. I have a shim enroute from Brownells, and will tweek the sear spring. Like mentioned elsewhere, the right side safety lever sits out from the frame a couple thousandths, but is not moving in and out, and works as it should. It will actually make it easier to disassemble since I can get a blade under it to get it off. And it is dehorned nicely, unlike an Ed Brown. The checkering on the front strap is really nice. It's the first checkered 1911 I've ever had, I usually go for skateboard tape, but this seems to have a similar grip. I really like the Checkmate mags. The spacer is spot welded on, the follower is a flat no-tilt design, and the removeable base pads will make cleaning easier. Top Gun Supply has them in stock for a great price. Seems to run factory length ammo, so I won't bother loading long. With the $100 rebate until 5-31, this is a great buy for a 40 under $1000.

I was hot for a 40 single stack. I started reading up on what's out there last month. I had a Trojan several years ago that I could not get to run. I didn't know about Virgil's feed ramp fix. I read about the new Para Pro Comp coming out on 1911forum. Travis had a youtube video, and the list of features and parts was excellent for the price point. Only drawback was it was a Para. New Para owners were swearing that they weren't the same Para, so I started shopping. I found the best price at $1002, and there is a rebate of $100 until May 31. Read about the rebate on 1911forum, and my FFL had a flyer on the counter. Just do a search for Para rebate. I filled it out online, print it, include the box label and my invoice, mailed it in. I think they are trying to get people to try them again after the awful reputation they earned.

I've got about 100 rds. thru it, and so far flawless. I have some more Checkmates, some Tripps and Metalforms coming. I have high hopes for it. I've never had or even held a Dan Wesson or Les Baer, but their reputations are beyond question. I bought what I felt was the best quality for the price. As I said in another thread, if STI had a Spartan in 40, I'd be all over it for $699.

I put a Dawson Ice magwell on it. That was more frustrating than I thought it would be. The pin hole was just a hair off from the hole in the mainspring housing. I had to hog out the M/S housing hole just a touch to install it.

I had the same issue with my Pro Comp. Once I got it together it was nice. I have shot it for one match now and am super pleased with it. Now if I can only shoot up to the potential of the gun I might even place in a match or two.

I run the Tripp system mags, but I load to factory length. I think this is a great gun for the money.

"Me three" on the magwell, I installed a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof magwell and experienced the same issues with it lining up...but as stated, once installed it's been great! I sent in for the cleaning kit/extra mags rebate, they weren't running the cash back rebate when I purchased mine last year, still haven't received either yet. As for the pistol itself I'm really happy so far and agree it's a lot of gun for the money.

Regards,

Paul

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...