Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firearm screwdrivers

I'm looking for a set of screwdrivers that are made for firearms. My normal mechanic srewdrivers, just don't fit as well as they should.

I used a few of these the other day:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/751576

The No 5 fit perfectly, but seemed to have been ground down to fit.

Recommendations?

Thanks... Dave

I carry the B-Square kit in my shooting box as it has besides standard slotted, torx and hex head bits of all sizes as well as extended bits.

Check out the rest of their website as they have alot of other great stuff.

Yeah, me too. So far so good, at least on my guns.

Ed

Eric,

[thread drift]

Thanks for the plug for the comp. I have the second one the designer built on my gun. It works like a charm. I love it.

[/thread drift]

I got lucky and picked up the deluxe kit from Brownells. Didn't know what the plain brown wooden box was when I picked it up, but I recognized all the bags of bits on top. It's a great kit.

Liota

I grind down cheap screwdrivers and put them in a huge pile in my workbench. Files, also. I have files ground down to do a particular bit of fitting on guns that I no longer own...

I also have a complete set of the fixed-handle Brownells gunsmithing screwdrivers - highly recommended.

My range bag repair kit has a stubby screwdriver handle and a handful of Magna Tips.

- Chris

Guest Larry Cazes

Dave, I Like the Chapman brand sets. The smaller one is just the right size for my shooting bag. These are high quality sets with rachet type handles. The set I carry in my bag has 12 hex heads, 3 philips, and 3 straight. My father bought this one 45+ years ago and it is still holding up. Catch me at the next richmond match to check them out.

I've had a set of Chapman's (screwdrivers with replacement tips) for so long I could probably sell them on ebay as antiques. Good stuff. And then the optional hex key set - you're set for life.

be

Chapman is really great about selling individual bits to keep your set maintained, alhtough it is amusing to receive merchandise in the mail with an invoice for $0.50 (it's like being sucked into a time warp). There are a number of multi-headed gunsmith screwdrivers, but nobody beats Chapman when you find your set is missing the one that fits your particular doohickie. It might be worth asking Brownells, Midway or Dillon if they are set up to sell individual replacement bits without a large minimum order or shipping fee.

What exactly are screw drivers for firearms? All the while I thought my victorinox multi-tool is all I needed...

As opposed to normal or mechanic's type screwdrivers, gunsmith screwdrivers are hollow ground, which prevents the blade from climbing out of the slot under pressure.

I'm sure one of our "pic-posting-masters" can post a nice image comparing the two types.

;)

be

PB Baumann

they're Swiss, they make excellent: screwdrivers, allen wrenches, punches, and screwdriver bits.

Not marketed for firearms, but they have the most parallel flats on their tips compared to the others in my toolbox. I never really cared for the Chapman set, except when required by space limitations.