Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to single stack, gun & mag ?

colbyjack

I just ordered a springfield Armory trophy match. It will he here monday. I'm not sure what mag well it has. Looks like a SA.

I have a gift certificate from brownells. What mags should I get from there that will work with the magwell? Everyone says Wilson in topics I searched. They have like 3 different Wilson mags.... also would chips power mags or match grade be better? Wilson over the chips? But out of the chips which is best?

How is this trophy match for a 1911? Been out of the single stack for a few years so not sure what's good...also need to find out what the front sight dovetail is and height. May want a fiber optic installed, what's your thought??? Thanks Chris

Which mag from brownells guys.

Cmc match grade stainless or chips power mags? Or which Wilson from brownells? Need long enough base pads for mag well. What makes one better than the other? All around $25-$30 right??

Congrats on the new aquisition. You'll enjoy the Springfield Armory. I have had absolutely no issue with ETMs, 47Ds, CMC Power 8s ot Tripps. The trigger on the TM will seem a bit stiff but as you are sitting watching your favorite TV show just work the trigger it'll smooth out after some dryfire time. Also the SA lock is a must to get rid of. the MS is very heavy. Watch the boards for various magwells. I have both the Dawson Ice and the Techwells on my 1911s. Dawson also sells FO frt sights for the Springers. Can't go wrong with Dave.

Now for the shameless commercial (I have a TW Magwell w/ grips I'll be posting later today $90/shipped) CHeck out Techwears web sight it is the SP.

JMHO

Most mags will work with most guns. What is most important is that the mags you choose work with your gun.

I would start with getting an extra of whatever ships with your gun because (presumably) it's been tested with that mag. Then go get a couple of Chippy's and a couple of Wilson's or whatever you'd like to try. Run them all under various conditions with the ammo you plan to shoot.

If one stands out, that's the one to pick.

I use Chippy Shooting Stars in my .45 and Wilson ETMs in my .40.

I had an older trophy match a couple years ago. outstanding pistol. Drove tacks. The rear sight was lpa cut, believe front was a Novak. Only gripe was the 20lpi checkering. My hands got chewed through after a day of dropping plates.

Ditto on the chips

I've got both the power mags and the shooting stars

They both work, the power mags look nicer and beefier

On the Springfield lock, if you decide to change out the mainspring, the gun uses a shortened one

Several years ago i had one and when I changed out mine, on the mainspring housing in addition to the lock, was the hole for the retaining pin

I just dumped all the ils stuff and put in the standard parts, left the hole for the ils stuff and the gun worked fine, it looked like crap, but it worked

I've used both Chip McCormick Power 8 mags and Wilson Combat 47D mags. Both work well, but I like the follower on the Wilsons a bit better.

I've also used the Shooting Star magazines--when I first started shooting Single Stack, I had a bunch of the blued ones and kept them for about 5 years with no issues (one spring change). I bought a whole new set of stainless Shooting Stars and four of them failed at the welds. CMC was very gracious about it when I contacted them and exchanged them for Power 8s. I won't use welded-base mags now, however.

On the Wilson 47D's, the lips have a tendency to crack at the back of the mag, and the followers are plastic and tend to wear where they engage the slide stop lug. Wilson will stand behind them, but just annoying. The CMC tubes are thicker. I haven't had any experience with them recently, so if welds are a problem, be aware.

The Brownells 8 rd. mags use a rounded steel follower. I haven't had them long enough to see if the lips will crack, but all indications look promising. Wish they made a 9mm version.

Just watched the video on the power plus mags from brownells. They say 100% lifetime satisfaction warranty. So if they fail brownells will swap them it sounds like. How many mags min for single stack class? 5-6?

Cmc makes a 8rd conversion. I could add that to my mags that come with the trophy match right?

What or coin need to polish anything on the internals of this new 1911? You say dry fire it to smooth out trigger. Just cock and pull while watching TV? Sounds kinky... Lol but does that really work to smooth out trigger?

I have 7 mags - 6 on the belt and 1 barney.

If the gun is brand new as opposed to used, but new to you, I'd shoot it awhile first before having any internal work done.

Dry fire while watching TV is a good, cheap way to break in a trigger.

Yeah brand new pistol. First new 1911 I've ever had. For holster what are you guys running? Thinking of the $20 kydex double mag pouch from brownells. Maybe cutting the paddle off the stock holster and using that. Need to buy the mags and get set up first.

I use an old Blade-tech SRB holster. I should probably switch to one with more offset, but I'm used to this one and I'm switching to Open next season.

The double mag pouches will work ok to start, but they're not great--especially if you adjust them when it's hot or cold, then shoot in the opposite weather condition. I was using the Safariland individual mag pouches, but recently acquired three Double Alpha Race Master mag pouches and two of the plastic version (I forget the name), which are great.

Damn that is truly a thing of beauty. I had one on order months ago but it was going to be a very long wait so I folded and bought something else. Are those VZ grips?

You will enjoy shooting that 1911 as well as holding it, cleaning it and just looking at it.

I just ordered a springfield Armory trophy match. It will he here monday. I'm not sure what mag well it has. Looks like a SA.

I have a gift certificate from brownells. What mags should I get from there that will work with the magwell? Everyone says Wilson in topics I searched. They have like 3 different Wilson mags.... also would chips power mags or match grade be better? Wilson over the chips? But out of the chips which is best?

How is this trophy match for a 1911? Been out of the single stack for a few years so not sure what's good...also need to find out what the front sight dovetail is and height. May want a fiber optic installed, what's your thought??? Thanks Chris

I have always used wilson 47d's, never a problem,

I just bought the same gun to replace my SA Loaded. Its a great shooter straight out of the box (even better with a Dawson FO front sight). I've been running Tripp mags with great success (they feed everything) and CMC Power mags with round nose (not so great with SWC). Neither of my Springfields worked very well with Wilson 47D's.

IMG_1782_zpsbf5651f4.jpg

Edited by cindynles