Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP's AR silent spring system

Mike Bell

Has anybody switched to the JP silent recoil spring system in their ARs? I'm wondering if the supplied spring is good to go, or do I need to also order the spring kit that's sold separately?

I shot my bosses AR he built with one a few weeks ago (just 3 shots) and I could feel the difference over the regular buffer/spring set up. Its felt smoother and there was no springy twang in the butt stock.

I love them. I'm running 18" with rifle gas in .223 and have an issue with the bolt locking back. I'm half attributing this to the fact that I need a slightly lighter spring in the SCS, but who knows. It makes a gun feel and shoot so smoothly. I'll never install anything else.

IMHO it seems that the JP spring system is not helping but instead introducing new variables to troubleshoot in the future. I get it and now there is zero advantage but i have introduced a new point of possible failure. If you have a variable gas block and the LMOS you are good to go those two are all you would need. At the most just use a light buffer in the receiver extension.

Edited by Brine0

I like the twang of the spring. no twang = time to reload! :)

-rvb

this was my first thought. i haven't used the JP silent spring so have no experience with it, but the sound of the spring in the receiver extension (or lack of it) is a pretty clear sign you're out of gas. Not sure I want to give that up...

I have one of the JP Silent Captured Recoil Springs in my CTR-02. At the 2012 AR15.com/Rockcastle 3-Gun Pro-Am, I was talking to some guys about how much they liked theirs and was going to order one as soon as I got home from the match. I was lucky enough to pick one up off the prize table and have been using it for a year with no problems.

• 3 months later...

I have one and changed the spring due to the comb i am running. changing the spring is a little bit of an effort, but not too bad. the little 3mm allen screw is red locktited in and has to be heated to be removed.

so, you push the spring down, lock it in the vice and "heat it till it smokes" (direct quote from the guys at JP) then remove the allen bolt. let it cool then carefully release the vice, remove the spring. install the new spring. compress it in the vice, intall the allen with locktite. good to go.

its a great piece of gear.

one other tip from the guys at JP. DO NOT run the normal buffer catch as it will make removal of the SCS very difficult. plus its better to have positive pressure at all times on the BCG from the SCS. if the spacing is off, use quarters inserted before you put the SCS system in the buffer tube. again there should not be any space between the SCS and the BCG with the bolt in battery. if there is, you might not always get good bolt lock up

I have a rifle that looks like a JP and a military'ish recce rifle had a love child, it's a BCM upper with a full mass BCG. I started out with a normal spring from Daniel Defense and a cheap carbine spring. The bolt speed was way too fast, very harsh. It greatly improved with a JP polished CS spring and Spikes T2 buffer, I thought it was the cats ass. However I just recently put in the captured spring and holy cow it's smooth. Now the only feedback is the shockwave from the muzzle blast, I don't have any mechanical feedback. It feels great and feels faster yet smoother for some reason. You don't really have a buffer smacking the back of the tube anymore and that is definitely noticeable. And this is without an adjustable gas block.

Only thing I'm skeptical about is that I've had this gun for 3 years and I put the thing in and get my first double feed after just a couple of mags worth of shooting. Of course that was also the first time I loaded my Pmags to capacity too. Not sure if it's related to the JP spring. Hopefully that doesn't happen again anytime soon.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters