Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Choice

perazzisc3

For what caliber (.38 special, 9mm, .38 super, etc.), what type of gun (compensated, non-compensated, barrel holes, etc.), and are you looking to make major or minor?

Titegroup or surprisingly enough IMR4756 with 124 berrys HBTP. Despite what seems like a slow burn rate for 4756 according to the charts, it makes a nice soft minor load. The recoil is more of a rolling type than the slightly more snappy titegroup.

TiteGroup is very clean and accurate for jacketed 124-125gn projectiles when your load is mid to high end. It's very hot (barrel temp) and will smoke like crazy with lead. Power Pistol is not as clean-burning but can be very accurate at higher velocities for 115 and 124/125. AA-7 is very accurate for 124.

These are all relatively inexpensive powders and should be pretty easy to find.

What powder do you prefer for your cleanest burning and accurate loads??

I have been using Winchester SuperHandicap for minor loads and loving it.

In the past, VV N320 was my go to but since I load 12ga target loads, I was looking for something that could work for both.

There are some who have said the e3 has given them good results too.

Most powders have pressure range where they will burn clean. Outside of this window, and they will be dirty. You have to find the powder that is clean for the loads you want.

I try to use single- base powders, so I don't get that nasty nitro-glycerin soot on everything. That is Solo 1000 or N320.

For jacketed or plated 115 or 124 gr bullets I use Solo 1000. If lead I use Clays. You will have to work up your own load for the Glock 19, but that is what I shoot it in or my Browning Hi Power.

Good luck,

Mike

4.4-4.6 grains of 231 with 115 grain Zero JHP or 125 grain LRN. X ring accurate from my XDm at 50.

Most Bullseye shooters are using VV powders and hornady 115 bullets for accuracy loads. I don't shoot the 9mm in bullseye but that give you an idea of how accurate they can be from service pistol.

Lots of guys I shoot with use titegroup. I shot a pound of it and it was fine. I just have a boatload of other powders so I don't use it. It is also a little smoky with lead.

That's almost like asking someone if Ford, Chevy or Dodge is better..the answers will be all over the board...but here's my opinion..

I have tried many powders..N320, W231, Titegroup, Clays, Clays Universal, and Unique

N320 is a great powder but almost impossible to find now

W231 is a soft feeling recoil

Titegroup is easy to find and has a snappy recoil (sometimes is an advantage in timed matches where the sights have to quickly lay down)..it is cheap and readily available..

Clays is a great powder for all calibers and will overflow the casing if you accidently double-charge the load..

Clays Universal works great in 9mm, but flashes and smokes in 40 and 45's

Unique is a great powder in all calibers and does not smoke

It is confusing, but pick a powder and just go with it....I got really confused over what to use, and my timing was affected with the different powders, since the recoil is different in the different powders...

Hope this helps