Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A race to C class

Trebor Snave

Let us know if your 42% drops off; that is, loses its 'Y' code status. If that happens, I will want to understand why.

It was purely theoretical saying that if I am barely above the line, but bomb a classifier before October runs, it could kick me back below the 40% threshold. It is highly unlikely I shoot another classifier due to a business trip to the other side of the planet.

But say you have, in order of newest to oldest:

39 - Y

40 - Y

41 - Y

12 - F

33 - Y

48 - Y

13 - F

42 - Y

as your most recent 8, your average is 40.5% assuming you do not shoot another classifier before they run it again.

But lets say you do, and shoot a 9%, then your window of 8 most recent scores would look like this:

09 - F

39 - Y

40 - Y

41 - Y

12 - F

33 - Y

48 - Y

13 - Y

and your average would be 33.5%, because the 42 is no longer in your most recent 8 (replaced by the formerly "F" flagged 13) and the 9 is not below the bottom threshold of the D class (2%) and would not get a "B" flag. The 42% would be flagged "E". Where as if a C shooter that is close to bumping up to B class shoots a 9% stage, it gets a "B" flag because it is more than 5% below the bottom of the C scoring band.

Shooting you a pm with an actual example.

Edited by tha1000

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your second example is correct, I'm trying to understand why the scores I posted a link to, maintaining a GM classification, use the 'Y' code well beyond an 8-score moving window:

Are you talking instead about a string of scores that's need to get the shooter to the next class up, and not talking about keeping an already-earned classification?

Edited by GunBugBit

A GM will only lose his GM status if he requests it in writing. once you earn it, it's yours.

The other scores you see are invalid for some reason, most likely B flags and D flags, if I had to guess. It's the best 6 of the last 8 valid scores, the valid scores for a GM would be from 90-100%, so anything below 90% would throw a B flag. For a D shooter, it's still the best 6 of the last 8 valid scores, but the range is from 2% to 40%, so there is no B flag... any craptacular bomb of a run in the single digits (greater than 2%) is going to count towards your % and potentially knock a much higher score out of the revolving window.

The situation I am in, is that I have 7 scores on file and a D classification. I have two more that have been submitted, that should move me above the 40% threshold. However, uspsa won't run the scores again until Oct 15. So I have two coming on and one falling off as of right now. But lets say I go bomb a classifier this weekend, i'd have two scores falling off and 3 coming on, so there is a chance that a bombed classifier could move me back below 40% before the uspsa runs scores again on the 15th, since I'm not officially a C class until they process the scores.. I'm not sure if I am making it clear.

Edited by tha1000

If your second example is correct, I'm trying to understand why the scores I posted a link to, maintaining a GM classification, use the 'Y' code well beyond an 8-score moving window:

Are you talking instead about a string of scores that's need to get the shooter to the next class up, and not talking about keeping an already-earned classification?

What you're missing is what a "valid" score is. It's not literally your 8 most recent classifiers, it's your 8 most recent valid ones. Valid classifiers for a GM are 90-100%, everything lower than that is not valid, meaning he can have scores that are months or years old that are still part of his current classification. If he were to shoot another 96%, for example, his 8th, the oldest score, would drop. For a D-class shooter, every score above 2% will be valid.

Edited by NickBlasta

one of the quirks of our classification system .... the higher you go the fewer of your scores actually count for anything. Once you make Master you could theoratically eventually just hero-to-zero your way to GM since the floor is so high ....

• 3 weeks later...

October Results

45.27% - TreborSnave (A82155)

42.39% - Hoosiershooter (A91108)

41.53% - tha1000 (A82466)

34.47% - DiFinan (A72357)

31.96% - mchapman (A86577)

30.47% - Artyforty (TY81349)

Edited by ZackJones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...