Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A race to C class

Trebor Snave

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to competition shooting and was a little depressed to see I was a D class shooter. I've shot for years and thought I was "better than average". I'm shooting for C class by end of year.

Edited by Doc10mm

Doc10mm, most likely you are much better than the average non-competition shooter. Your class is based, as you know, on how you shoot relative to other USPSA competitors, many of whom have been competing for years and work hard to get better. If you weren't a decent shooter, you would have had trouble getting that 'D' classification. I'm a 'D' and know I won't be one for long!

Note the following members have expired USPSA memberships and have been dropped from the race:

DMeix (A79337)

bayougump (A81333)

calvary45 (A71418)

dlfleetw (A80093)

dlfleetw (A80093)

dsb45acp (A34353)

fyresq (A71959)

Jimgabelbauer (A71912)

jte (A81499)

pagoda240 (A71702)

Paul (A72591)

SouthernGunsLLC (A71463)

southershooter (A69579)

August Results

45.81% - Vincerama (TY76063)

41.52% - Bevenue (TY82251)

37.93% - Hoosiershooter (A91108)

34.47% - DiFinan (A72357)

33.96% - TreborSnave (A82155)

31.47% - mchapman (A86577)

• 3 weeks later...

Go ahead and put me in. I have a classifier match and one other match on my score sheet from 18+ months ago. Hoping to start shooting more regularly now that my little one has turned one. I'm a low c classifier away from bumping up. Hopefully won't be in this race for long.

Member ID: A82466 - production

I do have a question about d class shooters and classifiers, if anybody has an answer. How does a zero, complete bomb, of a classifier effect your %? I know it would be flagged and not counted for a "c" or above shooter.

Edited by tha1000

Go ahead and put me in. I have a classifier match and one other match on my score sheet from 18+ months ago. Hoping to start shooting more regularly now that my little one has turned one. I'm a low c classifier away from bumping up. Hopefully won't be in this race for long.

I do have a question about d class shooters and classifiers, if anybody has an answer. How does a zero, complete bomb, of a classifier effect your %? I know it would be flagged and not counted for a "c" or above shooter.

It would most likely get thrown out as one of your lowest two scores unless you have multiple zero classifier scores.

Added. Good luck!

I believe the way the classification system works, you are not in danger of being bumped down. You actually have to submit a written request to be bumped down in class.

As I understand it, we are rewarded for our good classifiers, not punished for our bad ones.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the way the classification system works, you are not in danger of being bumped down. You actually have to submit a written request to be bumped down in class.

As I understand it, we are rewarded for our good classifiers, not punished for our bad ones.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So if the classifier calculators are right, I'll barely bump up. That being said, if I shoot a crappy qualifier between now and the next time it runs, I could have a better score fall out of my most recent 8 and be replaced by that crappier score and move me back below the c threshold the next time they process the classifications. I could be mistaken, but if I have 3 scores added, then 3 old scores fall off.

...if I shoot a crappy qualifier between now and the next time it runs, I could have a better score fall out of my most recent 8 and be replaced by that crappier score and move me back below the c threshold the next time they process the classifications. I could be mistaken, but if I have 3 scores added, then 3 old scores fall off.

Your old scores do fall off but with some conditions. There are allowances in the classification system to discard some of the classifiers you shot below your current class percentage level.

The explanation for the 'B' code in the classification system contains this: "...after you have earned your initial classification only scores that are at higher than 5% below the minimum score for your class can be used. For example, for a C-class member, only scores that are higher than 35% will be used."

The explanation for the 'F' code in the classification system says: "This classifier was not used as part of your current average because it was one of the two lowest percentages within the most recent six (for initial classifications) or eight on file at the time the classification update process was run."

Edited by GunBugBit

But the d band runs from 0-40%. so if I shoot a 9% and a 42% is my oldest score, the 42 would fall off, correct? Do you understand what I'm saying? The 9 would not be counted as one of the two lowest scores, but it could force my score lower by bumping a higher score out of the most recent 8. Unless I totally misunderstand how the system works.

Edited by tha1000

Yes I think I understand what you're saying.

The 9% would not be used due to the 'B' code in the classification system. "...only scores that are at higher than 5% below the minimum score for your class can be used."

I don't believe the 42% would fall off.

I see people's 'Y'-coded classifiers -- the ones being used to determine their classifications -- that are not in the most recent 8 .

I think "most recent 8" means the most recent 8 that are not excluded by 'B', 'D' or 'F' codes.

Edited by GunBugBit

F coded classifiers are not dropped, they're just not averaged in the best 6 of the most recent 8. If your 42% was your oldest of your 8 and you shot a 9%, the 42% would drop off. It might be F-coded, but it still is a valid score of your most recent 8.

Remember that classifiers under 2% are not counted, so D class is effectively 2-40%.

NickBlasta, you are wrong about the 42% being dropped. Older, better scores do not drop off.

Have a look at this USPSA GM's record and see how the 'B'-coded and 'F'-coded scores did not make his older, better scores drop off.

The 'Y'-coded scores are the ones used to determine the classification, and some of those scores in this shooter's record are 7 years old. Look at his single stack scores, at the bottom. There were many 'B'-coded scores since he earned M in that division. But the old good scores are used to determine his 'M' classification.

The 9% would be a valid score, in the most recent 8 for a D shooter. It might be B coded but the 42, falling out of the most recent 8 would drop off. If it was a 9% for a C shooter, it would be a different story.

It's neither here no there, as I don't think I'll shoot another classifier before October scores run.