Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moly causes undue amount of leading in barrel?

Max It

HI Ya Guys, I just spent 4 hours getting the lead out of my barrel. CZ 75B SA.

I have been shooting 147gn moly coated lead for steel competition; maybe 2,000 rounds since I acquired the gun.

I use 124gn plated in the indoor range for practice.

Well anyway I wasn't noticing the buildup of lead until the accuracy dropped off. That despite using a bronze brush after every session or so.

So is there anything unique about CZ barrels that allows this?

My colt 1911 nor my S'field XD does not have the same problem.

any clues, insights, wise cracks, tips, accepted?

much obliged,

Max

I haven't had any problems with the BBI 147gr in my SP-01. I usually clean after 350-500 rounds. What powder are you using?
Same here except I haven't cleaned the barrel in ~8 months or 6K rounds.

DANG, Mr. Matt!!! I use n320...moly residue in the barrel for sure, but not a lot, and no affect on accuracy that I can tell. Now you have me wanting to give my SP-01 a torture test. Looking forward to my first trip to CASA, sir. Don't forget that RAMI safety set ;)

I don't shoot much lead or moly-coated lead in my CZ85, but when I have, I found that the barrel got dirty fairly quickly. I cleaned it after every range session and never saw much leading, although there was a little lead left behind. On the other hand, I shoot lead and moly coated lead all the time in my CZ-97 (45 acp) and the bore never gets dirty and has never had leading. Same with my STI 1911 in 45 acp. Why is this? Here are some possibilities.

1. The CZ 75 / 85 barrel has a faster rate of twist (1-9") than the .45s (1-12").. This makes the bullet rotate faster and may put more stress on the bullet surface.

2. The 9mm operates at higher pressures than the 45 acp. This may put more stress on the base of the bullet.

3. The 9mm has higher muzzle velocity, even with 147gr bullets, than the 45s, possibly creating more friction on the bearing surface of the bullet.

4. The CZ 75 / 85 has deeper rifling than the CZ 97. I'm not sure how this affects leading.

Anyway, just buy some copper Chore Boys and wrap some strands around an undersized brass brush. Wet the barrel with some lead solvent and pull the brush through a few times after each range session.

Chris

My main competition CZ has never had a jacketed round down the pipe! Probably has 12k thru it. Black bullets for matches and bare lead for practice. I've never had a lead buildup problem. I shoot 124gr at about 1075fps with N320.

I haven't had any problems with the BBI 147gr in my SP-01. I usually clean after 350-500 rounds. What powder are you using?

Same here except I haven't cleaned the barrel in ~8 months or 6K rounds.

DANG, Mr. Matt!!! I use n320...moly residue in the barrel for sure, but not a lot, and no affect on accuracy that I can tell. Now you have me wanting to give my SP-01 a torture test. Looking forward to my first trip to CASA, sir. Don't forget that RAMI safety set ;)

You have me confused with my brother but I'll remind him to bring a RAMI set. I like the moly. I decided I was going to clean the bbl when it quit grouping well @25 yds. I use WST.

I've put a fair amount of the black bullets down my barrel and what I've noticed is that there's a small amount of buildup relatively quick (100 or so rounds) but then it tapers off and stops getting worse. Shooting 500 and Shooting 1000 left about the same amount for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, are you having to remove lead, or moly? Moly buildup won't hurt much, and if you must, can be removed with a hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mix without harsh scrubbing - just soak 5 to 10 minutes and then run some patches through it.

If it s leading, you are probaly putting on to much crimp and/or a to hot a powder.

Yes, are you having to remove lead, or moly? Moly buildup won't hurt much, and if you must, can be removed with a hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mix without harsh scrubbing - just soak 5 to 10 minutes and then run some patches through it.

If it s leading, you are probaly putting on to much crimp and/or a to hot a powder.

Hey sfinney -- can I bug you for details on the hydrogen peroxide / vinegar mix? What kind of vinegar, what % H2O2, mix ratio, any other magical incantations, etc

thanks!

Hey sfinney -- can I bug you for details on the hydrogen peroxide / vinegar mix? What kind of vinegar, what % H2O2, mix ratio, any other magical incantations, etc

thanks!

CLEANING YOUR BORE

Normal cleaning methods will work for our bullets, but sometimes the coating will stay in the barrel. If you cannot remove the coating with traditional cleaners—Shooter’s Choice, Breakfree, etc.—see methods below.

The Lewis Lead Remover from Brownells works great on heavily fouled bores.

Stainless steel barrels only

50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar in a jar

Make a hook out of a paper clip

Remove barrel and lower into mixture with paper clip hook

Soak for 20 minutes

Remove barrel and wipe off excess with paper towel

1 pass with a bore brush

1 pass with a tight patch

Flush out under sink with water

Dry off, patch out, and oil

Carbon steel barrels

Take a “Chore Boy” stainless steel scrubbing pad